Help for a Rookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for a Rookie

Hey guys, my name is Jake and I'm new to tbh and also new to traditional bowhunting. I've had a longbow for a couple years now but I've finally gotten bitten by the bug, and I haven't touched my wheel bow in probably a month. Anyways, I was wondering if there were any pointers you guys could give to help me speed up my learning curve. I've gotten a couple of the books you guys suggested on a thread a while back, and I'm anxiously waiting their arrival. Also I'm interested to see if there are any trad shooters in the San Antonio area who might be interested in having a rookie shooting buddy.
    Thanks for are the help
    ~Jake (Seacoal)

Welcome buddy ! Advice: practice, practice , practice. Then when your done with that, practice

Lots of great guys here, I'm sure someone down that way will pop up. If your ever up the Austin way head over to double g and ask for Bisch

Comment

Welcome to the fun side!

You are after the best by asking for other local trad shooters to help you out. Having experienced guys to teach you and show you how to do things can greatly lessen the learning curve.

Good luck and remember to have fun!

Bisch

Comment

Check with Ron Malone or Terry Dunn- Ruby Dog on here. They live in San Antonio area. Or come to Spicewood and Deb or myself can help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
          Check with Ron Malone or Terry Dunn- Ruby Dog on here. They live in San Antonio area. Or come to Spicewood and Deb or myself can help you.
          Welcome aboard, and what this ole guy said!!

Comment

Try to get your form as perfect as possible. Then everything will start to make sense a lot faster. Get help from other more experienced shooters & maybe watch some videos.....like Byron Ferguson's "Become The Arrow". You can't go wrong copying Byron's form. PS also make sure your equipment is tuned correctly. You can waste a lot of time with poorly tuned stuff.

Comment

Welcome to the fun side!!! You're headed the right direction by looking to get with experience trad archers. Have fun and practice, practice, and practice some more.

Comment

All the above. Tuning IS very important.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice! I'm just getting to the section on tuning in Beginner's Guide to Traditional Archery by Brian Sorrells so hopefully that can help me tune up my bow. I'm trying to get a grasp of what arrows I need for spine. I got kinda bummed this morning when Stan from Smithfield Archery called me to tell me that the string came in for my handmade long bow but that there are some surface cracks in the bamboo. Luckily my dad said he would dig up my granddads old Black Widow recurve for me to shoot.

But based on y'alls advice I will continue to search for a local trad shooter to help me out. I hope to be able to hunt by next deer season at the latest!

Comment

I just notice that you live in Ft Worth. You need to come to the Winter Traditional Shoot at Cowtown Bowmen. Feb 22-23 www.cowtownbowmen.com
                    Don't let being new to trad keep you from coming out to the shoot. There is always a lot of new guys - in fact I went to this shoot for the first time about a month after I got my first recurve. I was a little intimidated (cause I was a newbie, and I sucked- lost more than a few arrows!) but it was a great experience, You will meet a lot of good trad guys who will be very willing to help.
                    Last edited by jerp; 01-14-2014, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Jerp I honestly don't know if I will be in town that weekend. I go to school in San Antonio, but I live in Fort Worth. But if I don't have anything else to do I'll be there for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        I just notice that you live in Ft Worth. You need to come to the Winter Traditional Shoot at Cowtown Bowmen. Feb 22-23 www.cowtownbowmen.com
                        Don't let being new to trad keep you from coming out to the shoot. There is always a lot of new guys - in fact I went to this shoot for the first time about a month after I got my first recurve. I was a little intimidated (cause I was a newbie, and I sucked- lost more than a few arrows!) but it was a great experience, You will meet a lot of good trad guys who will be very willing to help.
                        I'm pretty new to the sport too. What are the shot ranges at a traditional archery shoot?

Comment

Originally posted by joe_doss View Post
                          I'm pretty new to the sport too. What are the shot ranges at a traditional archery shoot?
                          It's different from course to course. At Cowtown for this trad shoot I would guess they are on average about 15 yards or maybe a little less. Some are much closer ie: there is an armadillo cut out of steel plate that you shoot from less than 10 yards. (sounds easy but there are lots of broken arrows!) There is also a full size buffalo that might be 60 yards out, but the large majority are at 20 or less. They also have a "flying pig" which is a lot of fun. It's a pig on a cable that zips by and you have to shoot it on the fly. Don't worry about missing targets - it happens a lot and those in your group will be happy to help you find your arrows. Come join us!
                          Last edited by jerp; 01-15-2014, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Jerp
                            Is there a flyer on that shoot? I want to go and bring my grandson

Comment

Originally posted by loco cacahuate View Post
                              Jerp
                              Is there a flyer on that shoot? I want to go and bring my grandson
                              If there is a flyer I have not seen it yet. For more info contact Geoff Klein, AKA "Allaround" he is tournament director, or Chuck Hubbard AKA "Hubbace" who is club president.

ksaddlery@gmail.com (Geoff Klein)

hubbace@live.com (Chuck Hubbard)

Comment

Working...
                              X