Hunting public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting public land

I've been kicking around the idea of hunting public land, but have absolutely no clue how to go about it. I live close to Angelina and Sabine national forests. I know you need a public hunting permit, but past that....what's the procedure....show up, walk in the woods looking for trails and food source, then find a tree? How do you deal with knowing where other hunters are or will be hunting? Sorry for the newb question...just have never had any experience with it.

In just National Forest, you don't even need the public hunting permit, for WMA's yes.

Other hunters are something you just have to put up with and learn how to work around.

Really, I haven't found it too bad, if you just get of the beaten path. Even if they are around you, the chances are still there. Look up "Pressured deer are easy" in Around the Campfire.

Comment

Take the time to read all the public hunting threads on here for the Sabine, Angelina and Davy Crockett N.F.

Lots of good information from knowledgeable public land hunters with links to National Forest and TP&W websites.

Comment

Go to the US Forestry Service web sight. And you can find all the rules there except where the WMAs are that are run by the state too. If you know where the office is, you can also stop by there and get some info.

Edit: Dang your fast for a GOF Froggy!

Comment

Working...
        X