No announcement yet.

Food Plots 101 (Long Read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been thinking of trying my hand at a food plot. Thanks for the info!

Comment

I made the mistake last year of mixing everything together, this year I planted the oats and peas and then came back and broadcast the turnips after I had finished the oats and peas.

Looks like I am going to get better results with the turnips by the number I see sprouting already. In a week the oats were up 2.5" and the peas were up about an inch. Lots of turnips just coming up

Comment

Nice write up, thanks. Finishing up my plot today

Comment

I planted oats, awp's, groundhog radishes, and crimson/durana/red clover last tuesday. After 5 days the radishes were up and looking good. Nothing else was up yet.

Need a rain.....hopefully this weekend.

Comment

Just read this. Great info

Comment

Rye, wheat, and triticale are all in the same family and are basically the same plant with triticale being a wheat/rye hybrid. On my farms in the panhandle i find rye to be the most consistent producer of forage especially in deficient soils and drought conditions. Its has a very deep extensive root system. I think wheat and to a lesser extent triticale, have a sweeter taste and MAY be more desirable than rye, but i have had fields of rye covered up with deer right next to wheat and vice versa. I really think for a game plot rye is the best best for success.

Comment

good info to have. my experience with food plots have been rewarding, seen a lot of deer in the plots year round. Oats, rye, wheat in the fall and winter and soybeans and cowpeas in the spring and summer. but for the newbees it is a lot of work if year round is your game. I would like to see everyone partake in year round feeding of game

Comment

Thought I'd share some pics of my plot in Wood County. Planted it exactly 2 weeks ago, just went with the BWI seed blend and everything appears to be doing well. Forecast is calling for a couple of inches of rain over the next several days so it ought to be in pretty good shape by the time November rolls around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381604667.585344.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	24253893

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381604644.968532.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	24253891

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381604655.836238.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	24253892

Comment

good looking plot... any cameras on it?

Comment

Originally posted by kraigrrr View Post
                      good looking plot... any cameras on it?
                      Funny that you should ask, yes I have a camera set up on it that my brother checked for me on Saturday. Cool thing is he said it had taken 1282 pics in 12 days, not so cool thing is that he lost the dang SD card somewhere between the food plot and his house before getting to check it So who knows what's there.....

Comment

dang the bad luck... at least you know there is something there!!! looking good!

Comment

Awesome thread! I will be needing this soon!

What type of equipment are y'all using to plant?

Comment

I tilled my food plot up with this chisel plow due to all the roots and grass-

Then for the first time this year instead of using a pto powered broadcaster I used this buggy from the feed store with all the seed and feritlizer mixed together.(350 lbs of seed, 1030 lbs of 21-0-21)

After I spread the seed and fertilizer I dragged the entire plot with an old set of box springs.

Comment

Working...
                            X