Old Browning shotgun value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Browning shotgun value?

Another, what's it worth thread! Lol! Yet another of the guns I have over here in Germany, from my Grandfather. The wood is about a 9 out of 10 and the metal is 9.8 out of 10. I can't find a model number but it says "Acier Special - C.12" on it, along with about 20 other markings. Serial #442560

Anyone have an idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice gun

Comment

I am no help on value but I couldn't leave that old girl either.

Comment

Beautiful!!

Comment

Having trouble finding much. Is there any other numbers/letters listed, like on/near the loading gate on the underside of the receiver?

Comment

Looks like an Auto-5.

I found something on the gun values board. Not sure of the accuracy of the claim, but it's something to go on:

Acier Special means "special steel" it is not the model. C 12 designates it as a 12 gauge
            All the best,
            Glenn

Comment

I would think $400.00 plus.

Never could get used to the hump...............

Comment

Pretty sure it's an Auto-5 made for the non-US market.

I think the barrel is loose. Before you shoot it, tighten the barrel. Put the butt on the ground, push down on the barrel, and you should see the barrel slide back into the receiver and the forend should slide down and touch the receiver. While pushing down the barrel into the receiver, tighten the nut. Depending on which loads you shoot, you may have to swap around the friction ring setup.

I love my Auto-5. It's my favorite shotgun.

All the best,
                Glenn
                Attached Files

Comment

Nick

I think that shotgun was made in late 1953.

acier special means "special steel" ; c.12 means 12 gauge

text me or post up pics of the proof marks like the ones below
                  that will confirm lots of info on the shotgun , including the date code

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

the polychoke takes some of the re-sale value away, but IMO that Browning is
                  priceless since it's a family heirloom, made in Belgium after WWII, and never left the Country

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 09-10-2017, 08:53 AM.

Comment

S/N stops at 438k range according to proofhouse...unless they have it wrong, this makes me scratch my head.

Comment

I'll try to get more pix tomorrow morning. I'm slammed with work, trying to get his house emptied and packed and my cousin that's holding them for me is leaving on vacation in the morning. With the crazy laws here, I don't have a key to the safe. So, the morning will be my last opportunity to take any pictures. I'll try to get time. I need to take some good pictures of the Drilling also.

I'm really excited to get the old Anschutz .222 hunting rifle that my mother got for her first gun, back in the '50's, when the passed the test for her German hunting license. She was one of VERY few women with hunting license at the time and the only one in the Rhineland-Plalz region!

Here's the serial number from the bottom of the gun

Comment

Man that's a beautiful example. I've always liked those old Brownings.

Comment

Looks like a classic Browning Auto 5 to me. I wonder if it was purchased at a PX or BX on one of the U.S. military bases there? I agree with Cajun Blake - the Poly Choke will ding you on the resale price, but it is a Belgium made Auto 5, which does help off-set the Poly Choke. Also, except for the Poly Choke, it looks like it's in stock condition with the original factory butt plate. I always wanted one, but could never afford one. Friends who had them back in the day always complained about the kick, but they were also proud of the many birds they took with them.

Congratulations on your inheritance.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

I've come across a handful of the Browning "acier specials" over the years. As someone mentioned above they were guns made not to be sold in the US market but the same gun nonetheless.

In my experience they sell for a little less than the US counterpart. Eg. "normal" Belgium A5 may sell for $550 and an Acier Special may sell for $500.

I bought an Acier Special O/U a couple years ago for $550...it is the same gun as a Superposed. I suspect the pawn shop selling it didn't know what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                              Nick

I think that shotgun was made in late 1953.

acier special means "special steel" ; c.12 means 12 gauge

text me or post up pics of the proof marks like the ones below
                              that will confirm lots of info on the shotgun , including the date code

the polychoke takes some of the re-sale value away, but IMO that Browning is
                              priceless since it's a family heirloom, made in Belgium after WWII, and never left the Country

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                              S/N stops at 438k range according to proofhouse...unless they have it wrong, this makes me scratch my head.

I took pictures of everything I could find.....

Comment

Working...
                              X