Scrape Line Found...Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrape Line Found...Now what?

If you find a good scrape line and get a good mature buck on camera early season, pre-rut, then how do you go about planning to hunt it? What factors do you take into consideration other than wind as this is given? How long is he likely to travel and check that route? Do you keep moving camera farther up scrape line until you see pics in daylight or just trust that the rut will move those times around? Didn't see any major rubs and only got a few pics of him. Not consistent but more pics in a week that I have had in 2 years of him. I had him once in my food plot in 2016 and once so far in 2017. Might have found his home turf!

Interested to hear from everyone else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I try to hunt a scrape directly after every good rain. The bucks usuing it in the area will come by and freshn it up. Also, midday sits are deadly on a bright moon.

Comment

Find a tree with good ground cover about 25-40 yds from one of the scrapes and sit in a chair until he shows up. Maybe some hand corn as well

Comment

Bucks will often refresh a scrape after it rains. I try to get in the woods while it's still raining and hunt the scrape line. You can also hang a dripper over the scrapes with doe urine in it. The bucks will keep coming to it thinking there is a receptive doe nearby. Scrape lines are some of my favorite places to hunt. More than one buck will use a scrape too.

Comment

Set up a camera over a few scrapes, start peeing in those scrapes, get him on a pattern, kill him.

Easy as pie

Comment

X2 on peeing in it. I prefer hanging a dripper with deer urine but your pee works too.

Comment

I don't hunt scrapes as my cameras often show that they get refreshed more at night than during the day. If I locate a good scrape I start looking for the nearest travel corridor that the buck could be using, if the scrape happens to fall in that corridor then I will look for intersections within it that could be used as funnel areas. Can you kill a buck over a scrape line, absolutely (if he shows up while you are there). I personally think your odds are increased by hunting the travel routes in close proximity to the scrape.

Comment

Originally posted by Statton48 View Post
                  I try to hunt a scrape directly after every good rain. The bucks usuing it in the area will come by and freshn it up. Also, midday sits are deadly on a bright moon.
                  I like your thought process. In trinity I found that some scrapes are like a community scrape and others are mostly worked by a specific deer 1-2x a week. 3rd to 4th week of Oct seemed to be peak time to hunts scrapes at this particular lease. Put cams up on them hunting all day should be a serious consideration.

Comment

Try to stay clear of it and hunt the trails leading to it. I have screwed up many trying different suggestions that i have heard of.

Comment

Freshen the scrape urine with buck urine and hang some golden estrous close by about 6' off the ground. Try using a grunt call and doe bleat. Use the call sparingly and be prepared to sit all day or as long as you are able. I would concentrate on 10am to 2pm as well as first and last light.
                      This how I would do it

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Stay out of the area until you get the first real cold front of October. When it hits, sit on that scrape line until you kill him.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Tree stand 50-100 yards downwind of the scrape line. They will freshen them up mostly at night, but will check them from well downwind fairly often. Sitting directly on the scrape you may never see him but he will catch your scent.

Comment

Originally posted by buck40 View Post
                            If you find a good scrape line and get a good mature buck on camera early season, pre-rut, then how do you go about planning to hunt it? What factors do you take into consideration other than wind as this is given? How long is he likely to travel and check that route? Do you keep moving camera farther up scrape line until you see pics in daylight or just trust that the rut will move those times around? Didn't see any major rubs and only got a few pics of him. Not consistent but more pics in a week that I have had in 2 years of him. I had him once in my food plot in 2016 and once so far in 2017. Might have found his home turf!
                            Follow it and locate where there may be more than one trail perpendicular or crossing it or maybe a pinch point of some type. Set a stand down wind or two for opposing winds. Set and wait...you can thank me later

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                              Stay out of the area until you get the first real cold front of October. When it hits, sit on that scrape line until you kill him.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                              Wise words from a man that knows what he's talking about and has the wall to prove it.

2 words jumped in my head as I was reading, "You don't." At least not until conditions are perfect. Leave the camera there. All that thing is going to tell you is what has already happened. You'll drive yourself crazy and drive the buck out of the area checking that camera every few days. When you do go in and hunt it, pull the card and look back at when he did show in the daytime. Mark the date/ time, and do your reaserch on the conditions that took place 2 days before, the day of and the day after. Note temp changes, barometric pressure, and particularly wind direction changes. Use that information to look ahead at weather patterns and try to copy the conditions for next time. Don't Pee in it, don't move your cameras, just hang the camera on the scrape where you can get concealed inside bow range and only check it when you go in to hunt.

Know this going in. Every single time you step foot in the area you're making it worse. IMMEDIATELY following a rain of any size is a good idea if he's working the scrapes every 24hrs or so provided that all the other conditions are good. The best luck I've had hunting scrapes have been a few days either side of October 15.

Comment

Working...
                              X