Laying Stones for a Wood Stove Hearth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laying Stones for a Wood Stove Hearth

I'm going to tackle this next weekend at the deer camp. Got a pretty good idea how to get it done, but any pointers are appreciated.

Suggestions on Mortar/Sand ratio?

Mix it pretty dry or wet?

Should I laydown a layer of mud before I set the stones down?

How about the stones that I'm laying on the wall? Mortar down first?

Definitely lay down a layer of mud to set the stones in.

Comment

Here is where it's going.

Comment

and from some old mason guys...get the stones wet...don't know why..but this is what they say...

Comment

Thanks guys! Keep the pointers coming.

Comment

3:1 sand to cement ratio. Certainly trowel bed of mortar first. Buy a wire brush and brush joints after mortar sets up. Can also use a squirt bottle of water and mist it a couple times to slow setting.

Comment

Oh, forgot slump. Like ****ography, you will know it when you see it. Not too stiff and not too soupy. Will want it thin enough that is spreads well under weight of stone when you settle it. It it is running off your trowel it is too wet.
              Last edited by RR 314; 02-24-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                and from some old mason guys...get the stones wet...don't know why..but this is what they say...
                Usually, so the mortar interface moisture isn't sucked into the porosity of the dry stone.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                  I am not a mason but have dabbled a bit with it, I believe you wet the stones because they can act as a sponge and will draw moisture/water from the mortar. Wetting them some helps to prevent this and will they have better adhesion. I have been wrong before though..........

Comment

15 shovels full of sand to one bag of mortar. Don't mix it too wet. You can always add more water.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                      3:1 sand to cement ratio. Certainly trowel bed of mortar first. Buy a wire brush and brush joints after mortar sets up. Can also use a squirt bottle of water and mist it a couple times to slow setting.
                      This right here. I'm so **** slow I mix it in a 5 gallon bucket so I can take my time and not have a mixer full of mud settin up.

I don't know about wetting the stone...The guys I know go to great lengths to keep it dry, that absorption is what bonds the mortar to the stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        This right here. I'm so **** slow I mix it in a 5 gallon bucket so I can take my time and not have a mixer full of mud settin up.

I don't know about wetting the stone...The guys I know go to great lengths to keep it dry, that absorption is what bonds the mortar to the stone.
                        Good idea on mixing a little at a time in a five gallon bucket.

Comment

You can save a bunch of time with one of these in a drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Added to my list!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              You can save a bunch of time with one of these in a drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              He speaks the truth

Comment

Working...
                              X