No announcement yet.

food plot advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beware of army worms! plant too early, and they will eat it all up. Been there. Nice, pretty and green one day, dirt the next.

Comment

I would not plant until the first of sept at earlier... I'd wait til then. If your aren't going to till then go with a clover and throw it right before the rain.

We are planting oats/clover on 2 acres and oats always work for me, you have to disc though. Some say you can broadcast it, but I'd disc it.

Comment

Here's a little tip, the longer you wait into Sept or even Oct. the better your winter plot will be. Watch the ranchers in the area and I bet you'll notice that most do not even begin to plant their winter pastures until the end of October. Deer are different in cows though as they prefer tender, low in lignin, high in protein growth. Which for most of your cereal grains will come around 2 weeks after planting. Thats why I typically like to plant around the first or second week of bow season. So when the rut gets here the plots are in primetime shape.

Now if you're really interested in having something that will be green and the deer will will pounding it on opening day of bow season then I would reccomend planting a warm season now(with moisture). Examples would be, iron/clay cow peas, purple hull peas, okra etc. However once you get your first frost all these will be gone-

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
          Here's a little tip, the longer you wait into Sept or even Oct. the better your winter plot will be. Watch the ranchers in the area and I bet you'll notice that most do not even begin to plant their winter pastures until the end of October. Deer are different in cows though as they prefer tender, low in lignin, high in protein growth. Which for most of your cereal grains will come around 2 weeks after planting. Thats why I typically like to plant around the first or second week of bow season. So when the rut gets here the plots are in primetime shape.

Now if you're really interested in having something that will be green and the deer will will pounding it on opening day of bow season then I would reccomend planting a warm season now(with moisture). Examples would be, iron/clay cow peas, purple hull peas, okra etc. However once you get your first frost all these will be gone-

Since everybody is saying to wait i think thats what ill do. But i am going to go with moose's idea and plant some okra, and just a hand full of the throw and grow to see what it does.

Comment

This morning I cleared a little patch and planted the okra and a handfull of the throw and grow to test it out. I also planted a row of spinach that I had left over from my spring garden.
            Attached Files

Comment

how big is the patch?

Comment

Originally posted by alec bailey View Post
                This morning I cleared a little patch and planted the okra and a handfull of the throw and grow to test it out. I also planted a row of spinach that I had left over from my spring garden.
                You got a nice view to look at while you're waiting on the critters to show up. Congrats.

Comment

throw n go is 90% rye grass, you can buy straight rye grass for much less.

round up only kills what is already there it wont affect the soil

i would plant cereal grains(wheat, rye, oats, titricale) after the first good cool front sept 15-oct 15 you can have success earlier IF we get enough moisture or else it will burn up

not many people plant alfalfa where i live in central tx because of cotton root rot in the black soil, however i have 3 acres of it that is still going strong after 3 years. it is very drought tolerant, it will burn up in a drought and look dead but once it rains it comes back thick again. it requires well drained soil that doesnt stand water and doesnt require nitrogen and fixates nitrogen back into the soil

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377118555.515455.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	24235071
                    alfalfa pic

planted oct 21 2010. got some good rain that fall and has survived a couple horrible summers. deer hammer it

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
                      how big is the patch?
                      It's about 20by20feet

Comment

Originally posted by catfishryan View Post
                        [ATTACH]535277[/ATTACH]
                        alfalfa pic

planted oct 21 2010. got some good rain that fall and has survived a couple horrible summers. deer hammer it
                        We're are you at in central Texas?

Comment

That looks like a lot of hard work to clear and plant that plot. I hope you get rewarded with a good stand.

Comment

Originally posted by jmangrem View Post
                            That looks like a lot of hard work to clear and plant that plot. I hope you get rewarded with a good stand.
                            Yea it was, I was out there from 5:30 to around 11:00

Comment

Originally posted by alec bailey View Post
                              We're are you at in central Texas?
                              east bell county

Comment

That I ain't too far from limestone county were I'm at

Comment

Working...
                                X