Exotic Breeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exotic Breeding

Question out there - I am finishing up a couple pens that total close to 10 acres - probably 3.5 and 6.5 acres. Going to run a few deer in there for pleasure and also to sell a few of the bucks as they get big over the years. Does also I am sure to population control. Making a little money on them will be nice but not the total reason for having exotics in there.

What do you feel is the best animal or animals for this. I am in the air between axis and fallow. I feel like fallow will eat less protein than the axis but the axis might be a little more hardy. Both should grow a pretty impressive set of horns by three on protein and sell well I think. Would like to have Trans Caspian Urial sheep but cant afford those or swallow the loss if one dies.....

We are just north of Stephenville near Lipan so we do get some cold snaps.

Thanks for the advice!!

WS

id call raz livestock and see what advice they give, they are one of the largest auctions in central tx for exotics

Comment

Fallow. Better market for Fallow. You can find Axis readily available, no so on Fallow.

Comment

Raz is a good spot - thanks for the link. I have bought a lot exotics and sold quite a few over the past few years just have not put them in a pen to breed. Always turned them out as shooters or had them in a segregated pasture. I have a herd of Blackbucks that have done great and small herd of oryx that should have some babies anytime now. Ive had them for about a year.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
          Fallow. Better market for Fallow. You can find Axis readily available, no so on Fallow.
          thats what I have been noticing also. there is very few breeders selling stock for breeding and release that are trophy size. If you know anyone please PM me!

Comment

Not sure what the price tag is (I imagine they aren’t cheap) but I always thought Eld’s deer would be cool to raise and have around.

Comment

Originally posted by ostey22 View Post
              Not sure what the price tag is (I imagine they aren’t cheap) but I always thought Eld’s deer would be cool to raise and have around.
              Those are really cool! I had to google them, had not heard of them.

Comment

Bugscuffle

Back when the Bugscuffle ranch was bow only they were getting rid of all their fallow because they tore up the fences so bad from fighting. I’ve never heard of other ranchers having that problem so maybe it was something in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                  Back when the Bugscuffle ranch was bow only they were getting rid of all their fallow because they tore up the fences so bad from fighting. I’ve never heard of other ranchers having that problem so maybe it was something in the water.
                  Sounds like a good excuse to bust out the dart gun and cut some horns!!

Comment

I have had fallow years ago and they are fighting machines! Had them tear up fences as well as get wire and hay twine in their antlers and get hooked on trees and each other... Good luck.

Comment

Get a very big fallow and some good doe. You will have no issues selling for top dollar. Research where the doe come from. You don’t want what’s on 99% of ranches.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                        Get a very big fallow and some good doe. You will have no issues selling for top dollar. Research where the doe come from. You don’t want what’s on 99% of ranches.
                        Thats the direction I have been leaning. Thanks for the input.

WS

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
                          I have had fallow years ago and they are fighting machines! Had them tear up fences as well as get wire and hay twine in their antlers and get hooked on trees and each other... Good luck.
                          That's what they said at the Bugscuffle. Said they'd fight other species as well. He told me there was even an instance when one was beating up on a red stag!

Comment

I raise axis, fallow, blackbuck and sika. Send me a pm if you are interested and I can tell you the advantages/disadvantages to the different species.

Comment

What are yalls thoughts on red deer? Good market? Elk?

Comment

Working...
                              X