Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Garner State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garner State Park

My son got drawn on the either sex hunt on January 2-4. Just checking to see if anyone on here has been drawn before. This will be our first time to hunt Garner and was looking for any info y'all might have.

Thank, Dave

Sure haven't but would imagine that it would be great, Congrats to your son and best of luck...

Comment

I hunt 10 mintues south of there. You will see a ton of Axis deer for sure. The acorns are thick this year again but by January you should be able to get them to come to corn. I would brush in a pop up on the ground and put out about 50#'s of corn sit back and get ready, that is a great area. There are cabins for rent in that area on the FRIO River if you need a place to stay as well. Good Luck! Cant wait to see some pics!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I hope we see a lot of Axis! Not sure if they let you bait, I will have to check. Still not sure if we will camp or stay in a hotel? Anymore help would be appreciated!

Comment

Our group hunted axis at Garner a few years ago. Definitely different as far as draw hunts go. Very strict. They hunt you by assigned blind. They load you up in a truck, drive you out and drop you at that stand. You are only allowed to hunt in that stand and there are shooting lanes identified by flagging on trees. Very strict instructions to ONLY shoot in that lane for safety reasons because it's a relatively small place for several hunters. Also, when you shoot something, you leave it laying where it is so thy can inspect it. No blood trailing at all. A guy got a stern talking to while we were there for dragging his feet to the road. NOW, that being said, it was a good hunt and 3 out of 4 of us shot an axis. We go on a lot of draw hunts and garner was different than any we have ever been on-still fun, just different

Comment

Love this place to go camping...

Comment

Also, the stands are pretty nice enclosed box blinds. And we camped on site in a tent. Beautiful park

Comment

We'll I hope that they are not as strict as you say but I've got that from most of the people that I have talked with. They said it was still a good hunt so will see in January. I asked my son and he said he wanted to camp out. I hope it's cold if we have to let them lay! Don't want any meat to spoil. We will just enjoy getting away! Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Wow didn't know you could hunt gardner

Comment

Good luck

Comment

daved270, you can pm me and I'll give specifics. It was still a fun hunt and beautiful park, so don't let me scare you! I have pics somewhere too

Comment

Goodluck! We will be there Jan 12-14 for the Exotic hunt. Looking forward to your report.

Comment

Working...
                        X