Redneck Public land game cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redneck Public land game cart

A lot of Texas public land as well as out of state is "walk in only" and even then you walk 1-2+ miles from atv at times...one way. Thenall your hard work pays off and to kill a deer, or hog....oh boy Now you get to

A. drag this thing for the rest of the day
    B. walk back to game cart...after you find animal, then wheel it out....for the rest of the day
    c. walk out, get help and stomp around in the hunting area ....all day

Game carts are nice at times but still SUCK when hunting a lot of blow downs and beaver slews, I'd rather drag em at that point. Then you have to wheel that clanking thing around
    and while I CAN LEGALLY spike to climb trees where I hunt, I cant cut trees to make a pole to carry out

Its bad enough that I've held off on doe that I would have normally shot, just to save the hassle of dragging a deer in the early season that could be ruined by time I get it out.

Heres what I made:

1 zip lock sandwich bag
    5- 13 gallon trash bags
    10'- 1/8 rope (paracord would work great also)
    2- long sleeve gloves
    2-rubber gloves

All folded up and placed in sandwich bag. Weight 4.9oz and folded up is about the size of an iphone.

quarter deer in field using gloves
    place quarters in trashbags
    tie string around bag and quarter
    put trash back in sandwichbag
    haul meat out with your new "meat necklace"

will post pics shortly

Backed up. Can easily be folded in half
    Attached Files

Comment

This idea helps me a lot. Been trying to figure out the best way to haul meat out using as little as possible- I'm planning a DIY hunt in Wyoming in some of the Walk-In areas next year and this will be in my pack.

Comment

I do the same thing adding a few moist pre packages towels from hooters to wipe down when you're done and a pen to fill out your tag

Comment

Why not just take a good pack with you and put the quarters in the pack?

Doesn't get any simpler than that. Much easier on the body too.

Last edited by Grizz83; 08-07-2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Mine pack works just fine for deer and cost about $1.50 vs a pack that I can't carry my stand also and cost $90-$300

Comment

Fair enough

Comment

Nice

Comment

Sounds good, but is it legal? What about proof of sex?

I field dress mine, and walk it out on the bike I ride in on. Nothing simpler or quicker.

Comment

Didnt know you could qtr them on public land in texas. Thought you had to check them in gutted or whole?

Comment

Check legality where you hunt. I can out of state

This forum has reminded me why I quit Texas public land the rules and hoops to jump through to kill a deer suck the fun out of it.

Only one I've checked in it Texas was on an opening day hunt. Never seen anyone employed by state after that

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                        Sounds good, but is it legal? What about proof of sex?

I field dress mine, and walk it out on the bike I ride in on. Nothing simpler or quicker.
                        don't know about TX but in other states you leave proof of sex attached to a rear quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Fulch View Post
                          don't know about TX but in other states you leave proof of sex attached to a rear quarter.
                          the head counts as proof of sex in Tx

Comment

1st, this rule applies whether you hunt public land or private land.

2nd, complaining about not being checked by a GW seems counter to most folks I know.

3rd, We don't have check stations here in TX except for some controlled hunts on public lands, so there really isn't a matter of "checking it in." It's one of those honor things.

Didn't mean to sour what looks like a really good idea. Just not a legal option here in Texas (on any property). It's a rule I understand the reason for, but often wish I had the option to quarter in the field as I want to do more backpack hunting on public land and that would sure simplify things.

Comment

Have you actually tested this with 20-30 pounds of weight yet ? Unless you have a pretty thick rope , its going to dig into your neck and get uncomfortable really quick.

Limbwalker-- on the Sam we have to check deer at designated check stations only on opening weekend of general season. I think the biologist look at the health and quality of the deer herd.

Comment

Working...
                              X