Rain water harvesting......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain water harvesting......

Any of you smart guys/gals out there know how to figure what kind of pressure I'll get. I have seven barrels (55 gal). I'm curious about pressure at max fill. I'm running 3/4" PVC into 1/2" poly drip irrigation system. Will also have a hose bib too at end above the sprinkler valve.
    Attached Files

I think that in a horizontal position, seven barrels will only give you the pressure of one barrel. however, elevate them and you will get more pressure; not exponentially the rate of seven barrels but more pressure. if you want to decrease your foot print of all seven barrels, get more water and more pressure, you might try stacking IBS containers with a capacity of 250 gallons. I do think that at 100 feet (water hose) you will have very little pressure. I'm no expert but JMHO. Good luck and God bless.

Comment

I watch every rain harvesting thread. Still gathering data for my system.

Comment

Originally posted by Okie in Texas View Post
        I watch every rain harvesting thread. Still gathering data for my system.
        Youtube has a multitude of "systems" videos. Lots of great ideas and how-to's there. You can literally spend all night watching vids.

Comment

Maybe collect in half of them and pump to the other half for storage and use to increase pressure

Comment

1 pound per 2.31 foot of elevation. 100 foot water tower will have 43 psi. so a 3 foot of water will give you 1.2psi.

Comment

I just bought a place in Leakey that has a 1100 gallon collection tank that feeds a concrete tank with gravity feed and a float. It runs in a 1" black pipe down a hill about 200'. Not sure how much pressure there is, but seems to work ok. Also have a 250 gallon that feeds a pipe about 6' to a small bowl with a float. Whatever the pressure, seems to be ok with the float shutoffs.

Comment

Good idea!

Comment

we test plumbing rough in's with water. a pipe 10' above flow line filled to the top equals roughly 5 psi.

hook up an on demand water pump. like the ones used on an rv. i THINK they are 12 volt. a marine battery and solar charger could fix that.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterlogged View Post
                    1 pound per 2.31 foot of elevation. 100 foot water tower will have 43 psi. so a 3 foot of water will give you 1.2psi.
                    yes, what he said. you need to put them up high or add a pump

Comment

The pressure out of my rain barrels is terrible. Takes me over a minute to fill a watering can. They are at ground level.

Comment

Waterlogged is correct with the PSI per foot of rise. most drip equipment will work at about 7.5 psi so raise up the barrels 4 feet & see how that works.
                        Good luck...... Kudos for going Green!

Comment

Working...
                        X