Converting trail cam to solar...how to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting trail cam to solar...how to?

I've got a wild game innovations camera that is a few years old. It uses 4 D batteries and eats them up like crazy, maybe last 2 weeks if using the regular flash. There is no 12 volt port so how would I go about converting to a battery pack and solar panel? Sure some guys on here have done it and just wanted to pick your brain. Thanks and look forward to some ideas.

Last edited by TallTexan; 07-11-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

First you are going to need a 6 volt battery and 6 volt solar panel not 12 volt. If you can take some good detailed pictures of the camera were the batteries are installed and post them it would help me with telling you how to wire it since I don't have a WG camera.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
        First you are going to need a 6 volt battery and 6 volt solar panel not 12 volt. If you can take some good detailed pictures of the camera were the batteries are installed and post them it would help me with telling you how to wire it since I don't have a WG camera.
        Two of my trail cams are 12v, and one was 6v

Comment

solar powered game cam would be awsome!

Comment

I followed Tgil's instructions and now have all 3 of my cameras on 6 volt solar power.

Solar panel build for trail cam Tgil style

Comment

Subscribed to convert all my cams

Comment

Likes the posted link but not sure if that "spacer" will work with mine since one battery on each side is hidden. Going to the lease this weekend to pick my camera up and bring home. I'll try to post pics after. Thanks for the help and ideas so far.

Comment

This is what i did with MY wildviews.
                  The older ones are 6V so be careful or they Will blow.
                  This post has what i did the first round.
                  You can drill a hole in the bottom run the wire and use a small alligator clip.
                  now i use a lawnbattery in a ammo box.
                  I run 2 solar panels direct to the Battery, i buy the cheap ones from buckees.
                  I have 10 set up like this and i get 3 months out Of the Battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback77 View Post
                    Likes the posted link but not sure if that "spacer" will work with mine since one battery on each side is hidden. Going to the lease this weekend to pick my camera up and bring home. I'll try to post pics after. Thanks for the help and ideas so far.
                    Outback77--the cudde's have one battery partially hidden as well--I think you can tinker with the PVC length and maybe put something on the non-contact end to put it in tightly--

Comment

Working...
                    X