Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 08-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #101
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

I just wasn't quite sure, but Ryan's gear pics kind of gave away the car/truck camping aspect for, at least, base camp. Not to mention a 75-lb cooking rig.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #102
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Yes sir, Scott pretty much nailed it.
I do plan to carry a tarp and sleeping bag with me once I find elk and if the happen To be a good distance from camp so that I don’t have to pass on a shot late in the day or have to try to get back to that spot in the dark early the next day. If this scenario happens I can just campout and be on the elk the next morning. I’ve done this in Wyoming several times and I can tell you this.. sleeping under the stars on top of a mountain with elk calling in the timber below you all night is one of the greatest things you’ll ever experience!!
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 04:10 PM   #103
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Madden View Post
Yes sir, Scott pretty much nailed it.
I do plan to carry a tarp and sleeping bag with me once I find elk and if the happen To be a good distance from camp so that I don’t have to pass on a shot late in the day or have to try to get back to that spot in the dark early the next day. If this scenario happens I can just campout and be on the elk the next morning. I’ve done this in Wyoming several times and I can tell you this.. sleeping under the stars on top of a mountain with elk calling in the timber below you all night is one of the greatest things you’ll ever experience!!
That sounds VERY cool! Hope it works out.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #104
HDWRENCH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

The dead falls under grass is a bugger I have my bow on my pack and carry a walking stick saved me twice last year from falling .. Also what ever GPS system you use track you up and down elevation crazy how much you go up and down in a hike .
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #105
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

Congrats to all of you heading out! Enjoy the adventure.

Quick Notes: No lighted site pins in Colorado..Take them off if you have them on your bow. Check the wind, check the wind, and the check the wind. Take the first open shot opportunity that is in your range. Nothing ruins a moment like having one stop broadside at 40 to enter the pines coming on his way directly to you, then you are waiting for him to get to 30 and then he gets nervously turns away and never comes closer. Never stop in the wide open. Try to stop beside a small bush, Aspen or Pine. Take an extra release with at all times. You might sit down to take a break and you forget it or accidentally drop it. Stay Hydrated. Take a small tube of Vaseline (unscented) for your inside your nose to keep it from drying out in the dry Colorado air.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 08:48 PM   #106
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default The Mountains Are Calling...

Ha!^^^^^^^

These guys are all trad hunters and don’t have any sights or releases!

It would be a good idea if they carried an extra tab or glove in their pack though!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #107
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Nicely put, Bisch. I saw that, and was trying to figure out how to comment while avoiding any hard feelings for honest suggestions that just didn't quite apply to our guys.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #108
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

Was gonna say something... but glad ya came through Bisch! I always have 2 extra “shot-in” gloves in my pack, and shoot several shots every session without any glove at all, just in case I ever do something real dumb (very possible) and misplace all 3! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 09:25 PM   #109
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
Nicely put, Bisch. I saw that, and was trying to figure out how to comment while avoiding any hard feelings for honest suggestions that just didn't quite apply to our guys.

After seeing the Around the Campfire forum the last few days, it appears hard feelings are in season! 🤣🤣

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #110
wytex
Six Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Snow in the high country guys, get ready!

Carry extra judo points for grouse.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #111
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Hunter View Post
Congrats to all of you heading out! Enjoy the adventure.

Quick Notes: No lighted site pins in Colorado..Take them off if you have them on your bow. Check the wind, check the wind, and the check the wind. Take the first open shot opportunity that is in your range. Nothing ruins a moment like having one stop broadside at 40 to enter the pines coming on his way directly to you, then you are waiting for him to get to 30 and then he gets nervously turns away and never comes closer. Never stop in the wide open. Try to stop beside a small bush, Aspen or Pine. Take an extra release with at all times. You might sit down to take a break and you forget it or accidentally drop it. Stay Hydrated. Take a small tube of Vaseline (unscented) for your inside your nose to keep it from drying out in the dry Colorado air.
Great advice Still Hunter. As others have pointed out, we are using simple stick and string, so the lighted pins, etc, were not things we considered. I did have to look up the legality of lighted nocks a few days ago... and happy to see CO passed a law "recently" that allows them. No releases, but tabs and gloves, and I'll make sure I have a spare in my day pack. I'll adjust your yardage down from 40/30 down to 25/20... and yep, still good advice. Still hunting/spot and stalk is a different beast... most of us, on this trip, love that style of hunting even here in Texas, so we'll just have to remember the basics.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #112
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
Snow in the high country guys, get ready!

Carry extra judo points for grouse.
I'm gonna bring some zwickeys (Tiger Sharks are my Elk head) for grouse. I've done some recent reading/research on it and I just suspect that with the feathers, like a turkey, a broadhead would be better. I'm not sure how well my wingnut heads will work with the plumage. The big question I need to answer is whether or not I'll build out some FLU-FLUs in case I see one up in the tree and not on a lower limb/ground.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #113
wytex
Six Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Judos work just fine but broadheads will be deadly. Flu -flus are not a bad idea. Spent many a minute throwing sticks up in trees to get my arrows back.
We hunt zwickeys for elk and grouse , when the judos have flown the quiver.
Judos are easier to get out of trees by the way, lol.

The best cover scent to use is an elk pee spot, preferably a cow. We carry an empty ziplock bag and when we cross a fresh spot an elk has peed we gather up the dirt. Spread some on your hat or clothing and you'll smell like a fresh elk. It will keep for at least a week or so if out of the direct sun and heat.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 12:39 AM   #114
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

They called, I answered. Saw a couple great bulls and some cows. I have to get back to work and have to eat tag soup yet again! I don’t know, I’ll head up for a short trip mid September. It was 34 at night and 72 during the day. Ten percent success rate with a bow. I think you may have cut that number down a bit with a stick bow! Still a great trip to beat the Texas heat!
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 12:44 AM   #115
KenWood
Ten Point

Name:  3CE268BB-47E9-4C16-8D2A-CC47803B7284.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  98.1 KB
I love the mountains! The beauty of God’s country!
Old 08-29-2018, 12:45 AM   #116
KenWood
Ten Point

Name:  CD4FA245-D9EF-4480-B8E2-247E359F0356.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  123.1 KB
Old 08-29-2018, 12:50 AM   #117
KenWood
Ten Point

Name:  3CF1D53A-9705-4498-B952-49D0A0A1C351.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  147.3 KB
A bull rub I found minutes after a big 6x6 and me saw each other at same time. I sat watching that rub for a couple mornings after that. Nothing except 15 cows passing just out range. I really need get back up there!
Old 08-29-2018, 02:19 AM   #118
Billy02
Nubbin' Buck

Good luck be safe and hope you enjoy your trip.
Billy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 05:37 AM   #119
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

It's getting close and time is draaaaaaaggggiiinnngggg by. So ready to get on the road!!
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 05:51 AM   #120
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Looks like you had a great time Ken!!
Old 08-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #121
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Awesome Ken! Thanks for sharing brother! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
Old 08-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #122
moondog
Spike

Hunt In: Webb, Garza, Scurry and Borden Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Somewhere in Colorado... Somewhere that has OTC tags...

If the hunting sucks, I will tell you. If we kill something... I'll still tell you... but probably will lie about it

But in all seriousness, since it is public land DIY, we'll stick to the time honored tradition of not advertising the area out on an open forum.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I'll gladly tell you, I will be in Unit #62 the 2nd week of September. I don't think the telling will diminish my odds. If you want to find me to "hunt my spot" Good Luck! 881,850 Acres. 1378 Square Miles.
By the time you find my spot, I'll be enjoying Turkey Day with my family.
moondog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 10:47 AM   #123
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

That is awesome Ken!

I recently was afforded the opportunity to explain the "levels of hunting success" to my wife on her first ever hunt a few weeks back. We had been sitting in a ground blind we had built earlier that year and were waiting for the hogs to come out. On our way to the blind, we had come across some bedded pigs, and we setup for a shot, but got winded and so that was that. I told her, at this point, the trip was already a success... and then had to explain myself.

See... success is measured in this order

1) You decide to go hunting
2) You actually step out of the truck/tent whatever, and walk to your hunting location (stand, woods, field, whatever...)
3) You hear something
4) You see something.
5) You see what you were after.
6) You get an opportunity to shoot something
7) You get an opportunity to shoot what you were after
8) You actually shoot something
9) You actually shoot what you were after
10) You recover something.
11) You actually recover what you were after.

At our point in the hunt... I told her, look babe... we went through a whole friggin list of successes in just the last hour. I mean, we jumped to #7. Now we did debate, from her perspective, if she really had an opportunity... so even so, we hit #5. Of course long story short... in the span of just 2 hours... she hit #11 (Very proud moment!)

I'd be happier than hell to reach #5 or #6 on this hunt; especially considering it is my first time in this environment/situation chasing a new critter I have never chased before.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #124
Birdbuster1977
Nubbin' Buck

Good luck guys!
Birdbuster1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #125
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Quote:
That is awesome Ken!

I recently was afforded the opportunity to explain the "levels of hunting success" to my wife on her first ever hunt a few weeks back. We had been sitting in a ground blind we had built earlier that year and were waiting for the hogs to come out. On our way to the blind, we had come across some bedded pigs, and we setup for a shot, but got winded and so that was that. I told her, at this point, the trip was already a success... and then had to explain myself.

See... success is measured in this order

1) You decide to go hunting
2) You actually step out of the truck/tent whatever, and walk to your hunting location (stand, woods, field, whatever...)
3) You hear something
4) You see something.
5) You see what you were after.
6) You get an opportunity to shoot something
7) You get an opportunity to shoot what you were after
8) You actually shoot something
9) You actually shoot what you were after
10) You recover something.
11) You actually recover what you were after.

At our point in the hunt... I told her, look babe... we went through a whole friggin list of successes in just the last hour. I mean, we jumped to #7. Now we did debate, from her perspective, if she really had an opportunity... so even so, we hit #5. Of course long story short... in the span of just 2 hours... she hit #11 (Very proud moment!)

I'd be happier than hell to reach #5 or #6 on this hunt; especially considering it is my first time in this environment/situation chasing a new critter I have never chased before.
What an honest hunting perspective. “Takin notes over here Boss.” Even without asking...my wife’s efficiency rating gives that list the stamp of “Unapproved Efficiency”. Ill be chuckling on the list for a while.

SwampRabbit...the grouse would hold still...and still barely change position after being spooked from multiple missed shots. Givem the Grousing Bunny Thumper. I never saw’em higher than 12-15’ in a tree.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #126
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I shot a few on the ground. Easier to hit. Make a great camp meal.
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #127
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Finally got around to grinding and cutting some feathers last night and reflected my arrows that had white fletchings. Feel that I have been getting picked off more with the white fletchings in my quiver. I got a butt load of lighted nocks on clearance... so will lean on those for visibility of shot placement rather than white. Had considered going hiviz pink or chartreuse... but might as well use the nocks.

I would say these are good to go (22 yards).

Old 08-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #128
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

And... I will admit, I have had better success with the turkey fletchings. I don't think it is the fletchings as much as the reminder that they provide that I CAN do this when I nock them. Those feathers are from a turkey that I ran the same arrow through using the same bow.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #129
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Yep. Looks like you are ready.
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #130
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Great shooting Scott!!
Old 08-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #131
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Madden View Post
Great shooting Scott!!
Well, if I am being honest... there were 4 arrows before that picture was taken (but it wasn't the first or second shot... and I sure hope there aren't mosquitos in the high country... I may have rushed it to swat a little bugger.)
Old 08-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #132
KenWood
Ten Point

Quote:
Well, if I am being honest... there were 4 arrows before that picture was taken (but it wasn't the first or second shot... and I sure hope there aren't mosquitos in the high country... I may have rushed it to swat a little bugger.)
If you got a water hole around you the skeeters carry you off up there. Not really in the morning it’s too cold. Black flies were my problem this time. I couldn’t hear myself think with the buzzing. Sweat bees were ridiculous too!
Old 08-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #133
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWood View Post
If you got a water hole around you the skeeters carry you off up there. Not really in the morning it’s too cold. Black flies were my problem this time. I couldn’t hear myself think with the buzzing. Sweat bees were ridiculous too!
Thermacell... check!

Old 08-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #134
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good grief...the main thing I was looking forward to was getting away from the dadgum mosquitos.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #135
CRM_95
Pope & Young

I'm off work as of now until the 17th...all my stuff is piled in the garage. At some point Saturday I'll move it all in the living room by the front door, then around 330 a.m. Sunday I'll load it all in the truck, and be on the road by 4:00. I'm stoked!!
Old 08-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #136
KenWood
Ten Point

One other thing to consider. Black bear populations have gone way up. I don’t worry about it any but you never know. Most my encounters have began and ended with the bear fleeing. The ones that stand their ground are worrisome to me sometimes. Taking care of a kill is the part that makes me nervous. Especially after dark. Heard plenty of stories about guys either having to surrender their meat or have gotten hurt defending it. I carry bear spray for bears and a .40 for the two legged thugs I might run into.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #137
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Scott...arrows and shot group looks good to go to me. Get some.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #138
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Quote:
One other thing to consider. Black bear populations have gone way up. I don’t worry about it any but you never know. Most my encounters have began and ended with the bear fleeing. The ones that stand their ground are worrisome to me sometimes. Taking care of a kill is the part that makes me nervous. Especially after dark. Heard plenty of stories about guys either having to surrender their meat or have gotten hurt defending it. I carry bear spray for bears and a .40 for the two legged thugs I might run into.
I plan to do the same!! I'll have a pistol and bear spray. I'm not sure which one to actually use if I encounter a bear that's aggressive...I've heard mixed opinions. But I'll have both. It would be a game time decision I guess.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:38 PM   #139
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Glad you brought it up. Passed on a clearance bottle of Bear Spray at wlamart earlier this year. Thank heavens for amazon... bottle on its way!

If I have frequent sightings... I will buy a bear tag though.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #140
iammargarette
Nubbin' Buck

May the odds be ever in our favor, I am ready for some hunting this weekend
iammargarette is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #141
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2018, 06:49 AM   #142
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

This thread is killing me

Hoping to see some LDPs soon

Planning on making a trip next year
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2018, 10:04 PM   #143
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Welp, finally off work, and done with all my “after work” side jobs! Whew! Almost packed, and gonna finish up my checklist tomorrow when I got some daylight. You know you’ve been working quite abit when your wife says “I’ll be glad for you to get to go up there huntin so you can rest!” It’ll be physically tiresome with the hiking, and even more so if you’re packing out a critter, but with the temps, and just the fact of where I’m at... it will be like rest, the “tired” will be a “good kind of tired”, at least in a rejuvenating the body and soul kind of way!! The family and I go camping for a week every year at 8500+ ft elevation, (didn’t get to this year!) and it is definitely a grand way to spend some time in God’s awesome creation! I haven’t gotten to hunt in the high country since 2008 I believe, and I can still remember the exact spots I saw mule deer every hunt! Hopefully some of their offspring follow in their footsteps, and enjoy the same territories, cuz I’m coming back, with brothers in tow, and we are as ready as we can be! Yessir, I believe I speak for us all in this group when I say... WE ARE READY!! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
Old 09-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #144
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Default The Mountains Are Calling...

I know I’m ready!! Today is gonna drag by. I’m gonna plan on getting up around 330 in the morning and rolling out by 4.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #145
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Dadgum!! I just knew I’d come back to this and there would be 20 new posts! Well, I’ve officially got everything packed, shot my last session, unstrung the Sarrels, and put her in the case. Arrows still going where I want at 25. Now will try to sleep until Ryan, and Randy get here in the morn! Then we’ll tear out with visions of bucks and bulls dancing in our heads! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
Old 09-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #146
Randy Madden
Ten Point

I’m doing some last minute packing then gonna try to sleep! I highly doubt sleep will come easy!
In less than 36 hours I’ll be breathing some fresh mountain air!!
Then it’s game on!!
Old 09-02-2018, 03:35 AM   #147
CRM_95
Pope & Young

I’m about to roll out. Should be at Rusty’s around 6-630. I’ll try to post pics as service allows. We’ll be stopping for the night north of Amarillo, then I’m the mountains hopefully around lunch time tomorrow!!

Old 09-02-2018, 04:16 AM   #148
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Little breakfast stop.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:47 AM   #149
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Getting loaded up now. Got Rusty’s camper on my truck, so we’re looking a little redneck but our stuff will be dry!!

Old 09-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #150
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Well we ain’t sure if we got enough stuff but had to stop loading at some point!!