Cook it, toss it, refreeze it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook it, toss it, refreeze it?

Came home today, meat freezer was screaming. Heart sank.
    Meat on top was cold, but not super cold. Middle was pretty cold. Bottom was partially frozen.

I was going to cook it and freeze it.
    Got an opinion to toss everything on top and cook it.
    Got a vote to refreeze it.

It's all in coolers on ice til I get freezer fixed. I imagine what was partially frozen will thaw as the ice melts.

Thoughts?

Cook it

Comment

If the meat stayed cold there is nothing wrong with refreezing it. You may lose a little quality on the stuff up top (as long as it was cold) but it won't hurt you at all. The rest will be perfectly fine to refreeze.

If you can throw some dry ice in the coolers you will have some peace of mind.

Comment

Refreeze it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Refreeze it. I have thawed meat out all the way, only to not have time to cook it, then refreeze it and it is fine. Not ideal, but couldn't tell the difference.

Comment

Burn it all

Comment

Refreeze, as long as it thawed in the freezer or refrigerator it is fine to refreeze, done it many times.

Comment

Refreeze unless any of the top was chicken..

Chicken on the top I would toss..plus its cheaper to replace than dieing.

Comment

Refreeze.

Comment

This thread is crazy, I have always been under the assumption to NEVER refreeze meat. Y’all just saved my lots of money in the future!!

Comment

I have always been told that any meat that has marbleing/fat in it should never be refrozen, but deer meat can since it has no fat in it.

Comment

I have refrozen meat (including chicken) and never had a problem. as long as it was still cold, I would refreeze

Comment

From what you described I would refreeze all but the top layer. Cook the top

Comment

I was taught that you can refreeze meat, but never more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Refreeze unless any of the top was chicken..

Chicken on the top I would toss..plus its cheaper to replace than dieing.
                              What he said.

Comment

Working...
                              X