Back at it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back at it

Well, a few of you know I had taken a little break from shooting trad. I lost a deer early in the season, pretty much just beat myself up over it, unstrung my longbow and swore it off. Ended up killing a buck with my compound, but the whole time I just missed shooting my longbow.

Deer season is over now so I went another year without killing a whitetail with Trad gear...which I’m beating myself up over now lol. Anyway, I’ve started shooting again. And I’m shooting well, and enjoying shooting this bow. I won it last year in the St Jude’s auction on a different forum. It’s a 62” Black River 47@28. I’m having fun shooting again and I have a new mindset...and that is to have fun. When I start getting frustrated I’m gonna take a break. If I have a hard time with it, I’m gonna hunt with a compound, or a rifle, or whatever it takes. But for now I’m back at it!! Hopefully at some point these thousands of arrows are going to pay off for me!! Here’s a pic from my shooting this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you are enjoying it again.

I kinda went to opposite direction.
    My whole adult life I have just played with Trad bows and nothing else.
    This last year I started fishing, playing golf and shot 8 deer with 8 different weapons.

Comment

I have always wanted to try this but I just got really confident with a compound. I still land a shot from time to time that will kill but wasn't where it was supposed to go.

Comment

Get back on that horse.

Gary

Comment

A little break every now and then wont hurt anything. In fact, I usually shoot a little better after a short break! Having fun is the main thing. If you're having fun, you can't help but get better. Oh, and I took a break this year as well. I killed two doe with my long bow and then killed my buck with a rifle. The rifle actually felt pretty good.
          Good Luck buddy! By the way, nice group!

Comment

Glad to see you back Ryan!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I bought a compound the other day in the classifieds. I have not shot a compound in about 10 years but I do plan to have a little fun with this thing, even though i still have not shot it.
              To keep shooting fun i walk around with a couple arrows loaded with judo's and shoot cactus.

Comment

I feel bad because just before I started this adventure I bought a really nice, really expensive compound and have it set up with high end accessories. Don't get me wrong, I still shoot it once in a great while. But I feel like I e mastered the skills of hunting with it. However I know I'm a long way from there with the trad gear. I missed a doe a couple days ago. Couldn't figure out how I shot that high. Turns out she is a ninja. Video doesn't lie.
                The extra 100fps from my compound she is burger meat.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  I feel bad because just before I started this adventure I bought a really nice, really expensive compound and have it set up with high end accessories. Don't get me wrong, I still shoot it once in a great while. But I feel like I e mastered the skills of hunting with it. However I know I'm a long way from there with the trad gear. I missed a doe a couple days ago. Couldn't figure out how I shot that high. Turns out she is a ninja. Video doesn't lie.
                  The extra 100fps from my compound she is burger meat.

Gary
                  LOL!! Yeah they can definitely duck!!

Comment

Unusual on our lease though. But a still and quiet set up had them wired.

Gary

Comment

I hunt mostly small game and pigs these days, low pressure and lots of fun. Missing is more fun than hitting sometimes. My grandkids are taking to the bow pretty good and I am thinking about setting up a range out on my place (Pine Springs area) that you can come shoot when I am there. Got lots of other work to do first, including thinning the hogs before green up.

Comment

I understand where you have been with trad as I've been there too. About the time that I get where I'm shooting well, my string fingers will give out on me. Yesterday it was shoot, cuss, shake my hand for a while, then wait for the pain to go away, repeat. I know that my trad days are numbered if I don't ease off some. I did upgrade my compound and it is a fun way to give the hand a rest. It sure isn't as satisfying, though.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                          I understand where you have been with trad as I've been there too. About the time that I get where I'm shooting well, my string fingers will give out on me. Yesterday it was shoot, cuss, shake my hand for a while, then wait for the pain to go away, repeat. I know that my trad days are numbered if I don't ease off some. I did upgrade my compound and it is a fun way to give the hand a rest. It sure isn't as satisfying, though.
                          I feel you on that. That one finger. Maybe this arthritis doc can help some but I know I won't do this forever.
                          But it's gonna be a fun ride while I can.

Gary

Comment

I just sent 60D a message, but both of y'all should check out the Talon tabs. He has models for split, 3 under, or thumb.

Comment

I may try on of those. He was grouping pretty well with it. The clank that his bow was making had me looking to see what was going on. I cannot stand a noisy bow.

Comment

Working...
                              X