Rut is still on in Van Zandt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rut is still on in Van Zandt!

I went out the last two mornings after the cold front came in on Sunday to see if anything had been moving because of it. The wind was kicking Monday morning and didn't see one deer till that evening, and I had to kick that one up out of the trees. It did allow me to do some scouting and I saw a few new scrapes, so I decided to move my blind and place more out in the open. I wasn't sure how new the scrapes were, because I hadn't been out there in about a week or so, but I decided to try out the new location anyways. I put it up in an area that is full of 5-8 foot pine sapplings with cedars and found a perfect spot to place it in the cedars that gave me a good outline break up and two good shooting lanes. After the set up, I threw some corn out and headed home.

This morning, I went back out there and around 6 am. I didn't check to see if the corn was gone, because I felt like I was cutting in close time wise, so I just let down the window and the two shoot through screens and sat. The weather was cold, but still, so it was already looking good. I was still concerned that I missed the rut, so I decided to just sit it out and not use any calls. Around 10 till 7, the first buck walked out. I had seen it before, but not ever close enough to tell points. This morning, I counted what I thought to be 6, so I left it alone, although it seemed like a wide 6 to me. I couldn't tell if it had brow tines. It stood about 35 yards or so from me and was looking like it was waiting on something. Sure enough, another buck came in and they took off together.

About 7:40, I heard a bunch of commotion and out of the trees came 3 does with a spike chasing them and grunting like crazy. None of the does stood still enough for me to get a shot, and as soon as they got there, they were gone. About 30 minutes later, the same three came running back with the 6 (or 8) chasing them and grunting, with the spike bringing up the rear. This told me that the rut is still active, and I still had a chance.

I waited about another 40 minutes or so and didn't see anything else, so I decided to pack it up and head out. It was exciting though to see movement, but the wind picked back up again and figured that they were done running out in the open. This is the first year I have hunted on this land and so I have a bit of a learning curve, but hope to see some more move in soon and seal the deal on one.

I have wondered though, what a good rule of thumb is regarding time that is spent in the blind after not seeing movement for a while? And what is the general following with using grunts or bleats when bucks are chasing does? Will they all respond to it, or will the buck leave the doe to investigate what that noise was? I figured if it was rut, that they would be moving all day, but I'm not sure. This is my third year deer hunting and my first to catch the rut. Any advice would be great. Just wanted to share a little. Obviously, I am excited.

Tadow on here saw a spike breed a doe a couple nights ago in van zandt co., but he couldn't get a shot. Would have been his first buck!!

Comment

Originally posted by JDL View Post
      Tadow on here saw a spike breed a doe a couple nights ago in van zandt co., but he couldn't get a shot. Would have been his first buck!!
      Great, now I'm never gonna loose the "nubbin buck" under my avatar....TaDow

Comment

Working...
      X