No announcement yet.

Bowhunters unite to abolish 40 lb draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thiught the draw weight had to 40 lbs to hunt, from rabbits to deer? Many people are saying they shoot hogs with less than 40 lbs. This is not an attack!

Comment

oktx....hogs are not a "game" animal. The "taking" of hogs is not regulated.

Comment

Ok, I understand. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull View Post
          I agree Cotton but checking KE in the field would be tough for a game warden.
          Easy enough:

Click image for larger version

Name:	buck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	23821009

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB263629 (Small).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	23821010

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
            Thanks for saying it someone needed to.

All of these things are why KE wont work. it will have to be a weight requirement. People will not know how to measure this. I dont and dont care.
            It will have to be moved to a 35# weight ro something similar. If you are pulling 80% letoff on 40# you are only holding 8#'s.
            The problem with a set poundage is that a 30# compound can easily produce enough KE to kill a deer while a 30# longbow may not.

When we talked about this awhile ago I took my wife's bow at 34#s and my recurve at 55#s and they were both getting around 32#s of KE.

Besides in the beginning it was based on how far a bow could shoot an arrow which was a measurement of a bow’s energy.
            Last edited by Cotton; 03-02-2007, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Think aboutnthe youth who is missing out on hunting deer with a bow we can talk figures all day long but if i can push an arrow through a hog and im weak what can a modern bow do?? if youve ever shot a hog they are a whole lot tougher to bring down then a texas sized whitail, in Colorado the minum is 35 lb and im sure there animals are larger than our little texas whiteail

Comment

I feel very strongly ... both ways!

If you read through some of the past posts on here, you'll see that there are a bunch of members that have kids that shoot and hunt. I'm sure 40# wasn't something that TPWD pulled out of their rears. 40#'s is a milestone to most youths on here ... it's almost like these kids getting their licenses! I don't remember who it was, but his kid set up HIS OWN workout to build himself up to 40#!

Get her to shoot more, I bet she could be up to 40# by deer season!

Comment

d

she shoots every day and has won 3 3-D tounaments so far the kid can shoot, my deal is she missed out last year times are changing most of us used to shoot 70-80 now most of us 60-65 the need for draw weights are changing as the efficiency gets better

Comment

none of this really matters because unfortunately what we say wont matter to this rich politcian $^*holes

Comment

I'm all for it - getting rid of a law that doesn't make sense, that is

Kinetic energy is really the quantity that we want to be measuring -

I would rather have a relaxed person shooting a 35# bow than someone who is straining to pull 40 pounds.

We have all types of laws that require officers to carry equipment - think about window tint, think about speed limits, think about how little would get done without access to a two-way radio -

These are all tools that are required to keep up with the enforcement of the laws on the books - game wardens shouldn't be any different - don't they have to carry a scale around with them anyway??

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                        . 40#'s is a milestone to most youths on here ... it's almost like these kids getting their licenses! I don't remember who it was, but his kid set up HIS OWN workout to build himself up to 40#!
                        Not to take anything away from this thread....but this is exactly what I did with my little brother. He set a goal, did some workouts several times a week, and eventually worked his way up to the weight. It was a fun experience for both of us.

Comment

Its about time Folks... Its an old antiquated law, hard to enforce that does nothing. we don't need any limit on bow in Texas.

Old experienced bowehunters know the most important item in a bow/arrow Broadhead rig is the sharpness and design of the Broadhead.

West Virginia has a 30# bow draw weight minimum and they harvest a lot more deer with abow then we do in Texas.

The old regulations/laws were developed when Bowhunters were trying get a bow & arrow legalized in the 1940s and early 1950s as they didn't want little kids an suction cup arrow huntin deer so non- bowhunters set a 45# weigh when bows were wooden self bow are maybe solid fiber glass.

It worked

Fred Bear said in the 1940s that a 45# bow ( recurve bow) would kill any animal in North America cleanly & quickly.

That was very true a 45# Bear Grizzly (1988) recurve and a 2016 easton Alum Xx75 arrow with a 125 grainbear razorhead Broadhead at 28" inch might be lucky to produce 29# of KE & this 29# of KE has killed buffalo, deer, pronhforn, elk, moose, grizzly, Kodiak Bear, sheep goats, hogs,gators,all North American big game.

But here in Texas home to some of the smallest Whitetailed deer in North America thats over kill.

Today's modern compound bows produce a much higher amount of energy for the weight pulled tha clasic traditional recuvre and long bows..

In my opinion a 30# Modern Compound Bow, like a Parker Challenger Compound and a sharp single blade Broadhead will kill any wild game in Texas. Quite often with a pass thru!

Yes Sir I have seen it many times.
                          The old 40# draw doesn't differentiate between 40# wooden self bow with 20 # of KE (legal) and a 40# Modern high tech Compound bow.

In reality bowhunters are self regulating and 99% of all young Bowhunters have a parent or uncle or a guide to supervise the hunt
                          they all want the kid or lady to make a kill so the take pains to hone and sharpen Broadhead so that any hit in the thorax is fatal.
                          They limit shots to 10 or 15 yards and as result a super high percentage of one arrow bow kills for the kids & the ladies.

The old 40# Texas draw weigh keep older women and men, may short stature women and many kids from bowhunting. That cuts our numbers. lack of numbers means a lack of influence with theTexas Parks & Wildlife Officials

Texas has the one of the shortest bow season in the nation SAD TO say.

Maryland has 30# weight limit and they kill a lot more deer than Texas does Maryland Bow Seasons from Early Sept to end of February

Virgina which has no bow weight limit has a bow season from Sept first to March 31st in may areas.

I have said over and over we need to dump this useless uneeded law that hurts bowhunting in Texas

There is middle aged lady mother of 3 in Wal*Greens @ Kerrville She has a Mathews bow shoot it well but cannot draw over 30# so she HAS NEVER BOWHUNTED.

She is a better shot than I am at 20 yards I would bet anything that she can blow arrow thru deer & hogs all day long with her Mathews bow.

but her 30# Mathews is illegal for shooting Texas 80# Hill country deer.

shame on US.

shame on Texas.

When was a Professional Hunter ( PH) (Guide) in South Africa we had a 6 1/2 year old American boy bow that came out to to bowhunt.

Boy went to the offices of the Wildlife Dept and at 15 yards hit a Paper cup every time at 15 yards so they they OK'ed. his hunt

Boy aged 6, shoot& killed 3 warthogs & a great Impala ram with a 25# Hoyt Banshee bow and didn't wound anything,

Midge Dandridge 4' 10" lady from California shot a 2200# bull eland with a 45# Jennings bow one arrow she shot 16 other African Animals in 1975.

After that the South African game depts didn't ask for anything higher than 45# for African game.

Any one who has raised or mentored kids know that once a kid hit puberty you can loose the child to hunting, as he she/ will be engrossed in the INTERNET, music, malls, cars, drugs, booze, sex, members of the opposiste sex etc.

Children that are raise to hunt and shoot bows & guns seldom get into trouble with the law....and seld end up prefant or on drugs in rehab etc.

We want kids to shoot, not "shoot Up".

My son Jeff stared bowhunting with a bow at age 5 aged shot flying turkey with his bow ay six years old and age 7, shoot & killed 2 Whitetailed doe deer and a 102# fallow deer doe. each with one arrow!
                          At age age 8 he killed wild boar made pass through on 200# hogs.

Shooting a 30# Howatt Hi Speed recurve bow 58" long 30# draw, Jeff Nathan killed whitetailed 2 does on a federal national Wildlife refuge hunt with 88 adults. He killed 2 of the 7 deer killed on that 2 day hunt.

Let unite and allow our kids and grand- kids, our daughters, wives and sweethearts to allow them to bowhunt with the family during deer etc during bow season. It would mean more Archery bow stamps sold too. that helps count our numbers in Austin.

Leys get the LSBA & TBHs Memebrs to push for this adjustment to the old out of date old fashioned regulation that is unneeded, not enforced ( how can you) and puts Texas in the dark ages of bowhunting.

Here is a pix of my ex wife DR DEAN with her huge Kudu bull laid low with one arrow ann XX75 1818 and a Montec Warrior Single blade Broadhead Broadhead shot from 32# Jennings micro Carbon extrema Bow at 12 yards in South Africa. Arrow went thru Kudus guts at last rib, thru diaphragm liver, lungs and stuck into the heart. Bull only ran 71 yards.

DR DEAN was 60 and could not pull a bow any heaver due to a neck injury.

DR Dean went on to kill warthogs, Impala and Blesbuck all with one shot one arrow kills.

Boys, you no longer need 40# to kill a deer in Texas

Thanks

Tink Nathan
                          retired African Professional Hunter & Outfitter.

Comment

It's not just about the kids... What if you have someone that has an upper body impairment but could shoot a 30#s compound without trouble but not 40#s. Yea, they could go to a Draw-Lok or get a doctors note for a crossbow but if it was you wouldn’t you rather hunt with a 30# hand drawn compound that you knew could easily kill a deer? Folks drop out of bow hunting every day because they can no long draw the required poundage and refuse to go with a crossbow or Draw-Lok.

Does anyone know how long the 40# limit has been in place? Kind of like P&Y raising the let-off limit changing with the advancement of technology.

Comment

Could nto get pix to post too large

Any body her that can resize a few pix for me?

If you send an emailto silverwolfhound2@yahoo.com then I can attach them OK?
                              Tink
                              Last edited by Africanbowhunter; 03-02-2007, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Texas has a 125# limit on crossbows, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X