Serving question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serving question

So my serving is coming undone right below my nock and I'm gonna have to fix it. My question is....how much serving do I need above and below my nock? I shoot 3 under so I was thinking about an inch or 2 below my third figure finger and about an inch above my nock. Do I need more, does it matter, wouldn't that give me a little more speed or am I completely off base? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure there are a couple ways you can do this. Personally, I just find the middle of the string and put a mark 4" above and 4" below. Then I serve using those as the boundaries.

Then I put my nocking point where it goes (measured using a bow square off the shelf)

That usually leaves me a couple inches above and several inches below. The serving below helps protect the string if it hits your arm guard, etc, etc.

BTW, I do it this way, because all my strings from BW and elsewhere used roughly the same length (8-9" of total serving, on center.) And I think (I can't remember) that is what Ben showed me too.
    Last edited by SwampRabbit; 03-02-2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

BTW, if your serving is coming undone like that, I'd ask myself why it is doing that. It could be cruddy serving material... but I'd also check to see if my nock fit was way too tight.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        BTW, if your serving is coming undone like that, I'd ask myself why it is doing that. It could be cruddy serving material... but I'd also check to see if my nock fit was way too tight.
        Yep, sharp arrow nocks. single string nock (arrow sliding down), sharp brass string nock, brass nock too tight, storage problem. Something caused that.

Comment

I usually check center of string and start about 4" above center (my nock point may be as high as 3" above center on certain bows) if it is for a bow I am not familiar with. I serve down to about 3" below center.
          Not sure what type of string material that is but the serving appears to nylon. I would recommend to reserve with a more modern type (much tougher) material such as Halo. I use Halo in about a .023-.026 thickness. Tough as nails and slick for your fingers, tab or glove. Arrows slip off it well too. When you get that serving off, check the string for damage and cuts.

Comment

If I had to guess what was causing it...prolly nock too tight(I squeezed on it pretty good)...I didn't know that was possible but ok....thanks for the help.

Comment

I had that problem years ago. I started TYING my nock point instead of using the brass ones. I have used fast flight and Dacron as nock point and am currently tying it with Dental floss (unwaxed) I just make a big enough knot that the nock cannot slide up. The brass ones cut the serving if pinched too tight. I haven't hit my arm with the string in years, but if I do, The brass will dig a trench in your arm and the tied nock point will not.

Comment

Tying in an upper and lower nocking point is easy and much less stress on your serving...there are several really good youtube videos about it.....just takes a few minutes...

I'm in my office "working"...otherwise I would post a link or two for you. Hopefully someone will shortly

Comment

Thanks fellas

Comment

Just my opinion but I replace strings instead of reserving. I build my own but even if I didn't a broken string can mean a broken bow or injury. When I used mono serving I would reserve but with anything else if it cuts the serving chances are it damages fibers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I tie my nock sets with Dental Tape. It's a little bit thicker than floss and I find it just a bit easier to adjust on the serving. Here's a link to Jimmy Blackmon showing how to tie a nock set on his bowstring.

Fred

Comment

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                        X