The cutting edge.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I purchased some trad 2 blades off Amazon. 125 grain 2 blade, 150 grain 3 blade and ordered some 160 grain 2 blade.

The problem I see is the cutting diameter is not very big. They are the cheapy brand where you get 6 for 20 bucks but I wanted to see how a head that fat shoots from my Sam bow.

If I can tune it to the broad head weight and arrows are these heads worthless because of small wound channels for game animals?

Sorry I don't know scrap about trad stuff is why I ask.

The single bevel two-blade heads I shoot are only 1 1/8” wide. Especially with a fairly low draw weight (50#) I am more concerned with a long wound channel (more penetration) than I am a wide wound channel. They look really narrow when especially compared to most mechanicals but assuming I put it in the right spot, they die quickly. A 1” hole through both lungs is plenty deadly

Comment

What are the dimensions?

If you put it where it needs to go you can kill with field points.

Comment

They'll kill. Blood trail may be a tad tougher but if you hit them right it should be short.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon M. View Post
          What are the dimensions?

If you put it where it needs to go you can kill with field points.
          Right at over/or at an inch at the back. Right about 2 1/2 inches in length. I like the weight. Just not sure on the "huge wound holes" etc. that I am s use to listening to with compound heads.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
            So I purchased some trad 2 blades off Amazon. 125 grain 2 blade, 150 grain 3 blade and ordered some 160 grain 2 blade.

The problem I see is the cutting diameter is not very big. They are the cheapy brand where you get 6 for 20 bucks but I wanted to see how a head that fat shoots from my Sam bow.

If I can tune it to the broad head weight and arrows are these heads worthless because of small wound channels for game animals?

Sorry I don't know scrap about trad stuff is why I ask.
            Some won't sharpen, some won't stay sharp and this is VERY important with a stickbow.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

Both the two blade right single bevels, and the 3 blade heads I shoot are only 1-1/8" cutting diameter, and they both open up a plenty big enough hole.

Rick

Comment

I have killed several critters with the Wasp Traditional head. It is a 1” cutting diameter. It has worked great. If you can get them really sharp, and can put them in the right place on the critter, they should work just fine.

A lot of times, the cheaper heads are no where near sharp enough to hunt with, and you have to make them sharp enough before using them.

There is an old saying: You get what you pay for!”. That applies to a lot of things. Sometimes cheap is just fine, but sometimes cheap stinks. You just have to try them and see if they will work for you.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Last edited by Bisch; 03-04-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie View Post
                  Some won't sharpen, some won't stay sharp and this is VERY important with a stickbow.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
                  That is one thing about these heads. They are solid and built tough but they are not sharp. I never have messed with sharpening blades as most of my compound heads I just replaced.

Comment

I'm pretty good with stones for sharpening. Some folks find the ceramic sticks easier.

But if you want sharp with ease spend the money on a Ken Onion model Worksharp.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Stones, files, leather strop, Lanksy, Work Sharp, lots of ways to sharpen broadheads. I won't buy the Chinese knockoff's but that is my issue so I won't derail this thread with that.

Dean Torges showed me how to sharpen heads with a file once Denton Hill. I was working the PATHA (PA Association of Traditional Hunting Archers, now defunct) booth, he was set up next to us selling staves, BBO kits, and books. Anyway, I really like that method and it is my go to now.

This is how:

Comment

Working...
                      X