Crab Gumbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crab Gumbo

I was brought up on this gumbo from my grandfather's recipe. Certainly the best gumbo I have had....enjoy

2 dozen Clean crab bodies
    3 Pints Crab meat or clean shrimp (I like to mix it up)
    1 Quart Okra (cut up)
    1 Can Whole tomatoes (cut up) (I do not use this, but it's in the recipe)
    2 Cans Tomatoe sauce
    1/2 Lge Onion (diced)
    1 Tbsp Chili powder
    2 tsp. Paprika
    2 Slices Bacon (cut in small pieces)
    2 Quarts Water
    1 Large Potato (diced small)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Crab boil in a cloth bag or tea ball

Directions:
    In a large frying pan, fry bacon. Saute onions with chili powder and paprika. Add okra, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce with about one pint of water. Cook slow about 30 minutes.
    In a large pot, add 2 quarts of water and the above ingredients. Bring to a boil, add potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes. Add crab bodies. Cook 5-8 minutes and remove bodies. Add crab meat and shrimp. Simmer about 10 minutes. Let stand for 1 hour.

Great...now I'm hungry.

That sounds pretty good.

Comment

Sounds good, but where is the roux? Did I miss it in the recipe, or is it implied that you will make it?

Also, I've never had tomatoes or potatoes in a gumbo before sounds interesting.

After rereading it, this sounds more like a court bullion type dish. Whatever its called it sounds tasty!

(Thats coo B on for you non cajun types! )
      Last edited by kfd82; 08-19-2008, 05:39 AM. Reason: Court bullion

Comment

The roux is actually made with the bacon/onions/chili pepper etc in the beginning. You get the real test when it is all put together.

Comment

Working...
        X