I need help! Long bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help! Long bow

ok, this may sound dumb to some of you! I'm a rookie at the long bow thing. I bought a long bow from brownwood. I went to string it the other day and man that thing is hard to get the string up and on!! I'm I doing something wrong??? I thought I could put one end on the ground and bend it in with my knee?? Well I never got it! What am I doing wrong?

That is a really hard on the bow when you string it like that. You should try and find a longbow stringer. Longbows can be a little hard to string.

Comment

E-mail your address to me and I will send you one (free). I've got several and only use one. dkey111 at aol dot com.

Doug

Comment

I would never string a longbow or recurve with the around-the-knee technique, use a bow stringer, and keep your hand ready for it to fall off and not get a bow tip in your eye (experience speaking). A friend in the archery club made me one from parachute cord and leather from an old pair of girl's ice skates- works great.

Comment

Or you can step through the string. Put the top string loop over the top limb and put the bottom loop on the nock. Take your right leg and put it through the bow(between the bow and the string) with the string on the inside of your leg. The handle should be just above your knee on the outside/back of your leg. Put the bottom limb(close to the tip) on the front of your left ankle. then bend the bow. Its really easy and pretty safe. A lot of people dont reccommend this but it wont hurt a longbow in the least. Prolly should use a stringer for recurves though.

Comment

On a longbow I jut put the tip in the inside instep of my foot. grab the bow at the riser and pull and with my free hand push and slide the string on the bow.
            Recurve I use a stringer.

Comment

JB:

I've got the stringer in a box and ready to ship to you. It will go out tomorrow. It will save you a lot of frustration and best of luck with it.

Doug

Comment

Doug thank you so much! Let me know what I owe you! I want to pay you something. Make sure I get a return address! That why I love this forum!!! Man there are some GREAT people on here!! I like said I am just getting into the tradional thing. I love my compound, but want a bit more of a challenge. I would like to learn how to make my own arrows someday. Once again thank you very much to everyone for the replies!! Doug and thank you a TON!!! Thanks JB

Comment

welcome to the trad side. I ALWAYS use a stringer with all my bows...just not worth a risk not to.

Comment

JB:

You don't owe me anything. I'm just glad I can help. A few cents for postage isn't anything. Besides, I counted 5 additional stringers on my bow rack after the one I am sending you. Not a problem. Just have some fun with it.

Doug

Comment

Please, please, please...anyone getting into the traditional thing should get and use a stringer. It'll save you bow, your back and may keep you from putting an eye out.

Comment

I use a stringer on all my recurves. Liable to twist a limb otherwise.

Comment

I, too, use a stringer on my recurves, but not on my longbows. I probably should, but they're so easy without one. I'm going to be the guy walking out of the E.R. with an eye patch one of these days though. I string my longbows like glen said: lower limb tip on my instep, strong hand pulling on the riser, weak hand pushing on the top bow limb and sliding the string into place. I have had that upper limb slip out of my sweaty hand before and smack me in the face. Luckily just a small cut to the face and not an eyeball. Being in a hurry and taking shortcuts in anything can get you hurt, so: Use A Stringer!
                          As for puting the leg between the bow and string........That's how I learned to string a bow so many years ago (in the 70's). However, not recommended today. Too easy to damage the bow. I know bowyers who will not warranty a bow if it's being strung and unstrung in that manner. Just FYI.

Comment

ihave a sad stor to tell about me and a bow i just made breaking while i was stringing it this way

Comment

Use a stringer. Unless you are shooting a light wight LB the push-pull method is tough. I shoot 63#+ longbows and let me tell you, it takes a bunch of man to string mine without a stringer. $10-12 stringer can save a $400-600 bow. For me its not an option.

Texas50 is right about the warranty bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X