Long Bow Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Bow Advice

I've been wanting to try out the traditional way for a long time now, but I decided to go the modern route when I first got my feet wet in the sport. I have a 32" draw, and am wondering if some of you experienced traditional shooters could put me on a path to find a bow for my size? I would prefer to stay under $500 if possible and still get something custom to me and a couple arrows?

Any suggestions?

Heck you are in Austin, I would give Bob Sarrels a call and see what he can come up with for that long draw of yours. 32" DANG! Seriously, he has some base models that are under $500 and he will work with you on getting one just right for you. You can check out some of his bows on his website (www.sarrelsarchery.com) or just go to Archery Country on 183...last time I was there, they had several to look at. You can also find Bob's phone number on his website, which is the route I would take. Good luck.

Comment

I would try to find a used Massie Longhorn. They are reflex-deflex and I've seen a couple in 64" but most are 62". If you are wanting to go with a standard D long bow(Howard Hill type) you might look at the Bear Montana to get started and I'd get a light weight one to develop proper shooting form/habits.

Last edited by Thumper; 02-12-2008, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Moe Monsarrat has a 34" draw. Bob Sarrels custom built him a longbow. Bob does good work.

Comment

Reaper:

I've got a 64" and 50# @ 28" Horne Combo Hunter takedown longbow that I would sell ya for $475.00 and shipped to your door. At 31", this one would draw about 57-59#. I can send pics if you are interested. One thing to note, your draw length will probably decrease by about 1" - 1 1/2" with a longbow/recurve. I've got a few full length arrows I would throw in for free.

If interested, send me your e-mail address and I will send pics.

Thanks,

Doug Key
          dkey111 at aol dot com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback fellas, much appreciated, I think its time to call up Bob Sarrels. Splitfire- thanks for the offer.

Comment

Come shoot tonight at archery country. Usually 8-10 of us shooting- and most will let you try our bows out.

Comment

TheHaf2000- thanks for th invite, I can't make it tonight, because it is my GF b-day (rough week with V-day as well) but I would like to take you up on the offer. Is it a weekly shoot? If so maybe next week. I have gone up to archery country before to shoot in the league but didn't see any trad. bows there. Is there a trad. only league?

Comment

Trad only on tuesday starts at 6:30pm. we usually gather around 5:45 or 6:00
                  to warm up and catch up. Every week. Most fun for seven bucks you can have.I will tell you trad is addicting-I do not have a compound anymore. See you when you can make it.

Comment

Working...
                  X