Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I plant this weekend.(Johnson County)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I plant this weekend.(Johnson County)

I plan on planting an oats wheat clover and turnip mix. Is it too early to plant? There's a small chance of rain next week and the soil is soaking wet right now.

I live in Hill co. just south of you and we have had trouble with army worms the last few years in early plots.We are going to wait until the end of the month this year to try to avoid those little pest.If you plant early I would keep a close eye on it and get it spayed if they get in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Osceola View Post
      I live in Hill co. just south of you and we have had trouble with army worms the last few years in early plots.We are going to wait until the end of the month this year to try to avoid those little pest.If you plant early I would keep a close eye on it and get it spayed if they get in it.
      I should wait. I hunted hill county in the past and the old farmer who's property we hunted on never planted until the end of September. Thanks for the advice. By the way what do you plant?

Comment

I would wait at least until the end of the second week!

Comment

best to wait until we past the halfway point for this month, then start watching the weather. Osceola is right about the army worms. You also don't want your oats to come up too early and burn.

If you need a little advice, just call Todd Swift at the Blanco County AgriLife Extension Office. Todd is a good friend of mine and is a big help.

What variety are you planting?

Comment

i am going to this weekend in eastland county. There was more rain in the forecast but now theres only 2 days next week calling for rain so we are on the fence about it now, but will probably still plant and hope for rain.

Comment

It's a dice roll, you may get lucky, but most likely you will roll snake eyes. Too much a chance to have a couple of weeks of dry hot weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
                It's a dice roll, you may get lucky, but most likely you will roll snake eyes. Too much a chance to have a couple of weeks of dry hot weather.
                I guess I'm going to wait. The supply I'm going to buy from told me to wait three weeks. It'll give me time to send off an soil sample. Thanks for the input from all.

Comment

We plant wheat,oats winter peas,turnips,and clover.

Comment

Originally posted by Osceola View Post
                    We plant wheat,oats winter peas,turnips,and clover.
                    Thanks that's what I'm going to plant

Comment

is there a blend you can get that has all that in it??

Comment

I agree with waiting until 3rd week in Sept. because of insects and heat. If the oats get up and you have a week or two of hot and dry they probably won't make it, been there. D

Comment

Are you all mixing your own seed? And where in the hill country are you getting it from? We have a place in mountain home area looking to plant in couple of weeks also.

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
                            is there a blend you can get that has all that in it??
                            We mix our own blend.

Comment

Originally posted by lrich View Post
                              Are you all mixing your own seed? And where in the hill country are you getting it from? We have a place in mountain home area looking to plant in couple of weeks also.
                              Not in the hill country we are in Hill county south of Fort Worth.There are a few feed stores around that will get the seed for us and we mix a blend.

Comment

Working...
                              X