Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a super gate latch and lock protector idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a super gate latch and lock protector idea.

My lock and chain at my lease have been busted and broken twice now. This time they broke the lock but couldn’t open it, so they cut the chain. I need a different way to latch/secure the gate and a way to protect the lock. Any ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camera and the LEO or GW

Comment

Had a camera,they found it but after I got a pic of the truck. Will report it on Monday.

Comment

You can get hardened chain and locks, but a determined thief (or tresspasser) will get in if he wants to bad enough.

You can always use the plunger-in-a-piece-of-pipe latch, bolt cutters can't get to it, but a cutting torch can.

Comment

Time for a covert camera that will text ya pics

Comment

Agree with above post about hardened chain and lock. If they want in bad enough they will. If the gate takes too much effort they will just cut the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              You can get hardened chain and locks, but a determined thief (or tresspasser) will get in if he wants to bad enough.

You can always use the plunger-in-a-piece-of-pipe latch, bolt cutters can't get to it, but a cutting torch can.

Explain what this is please.

Comment

Sounds more like you need to have the game warden watch the place. They must be desperate to get in there.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                  Explain what this is please.

Kinda hard to visualize, but here goes. You weld a short piece of 4"/5" pipe onto your gate post. You have a sliding rod (with a hole through it to take the lock) welded to your gate. The rod slides back and forth like a bolt on a rifle. When it enters the pipe through the side, you lock it. If the fit is tight enough you can't get bolt cutters in there to cut the lock. I've seen them many times on oilfield gates, even ones that take multiple locks so different people can get in. To work, it needs to be a pain in the but to even get your hand in there to work a combo lock.

If you don't have a pipe or tubing gate and pipe entrance posts, you're whizzing in the wind though. They're gonna cut the fence and come in anyway. Obviously the above won't work with a panel gate, cheap tubing gate, etc.

Comment

Kinda hard to visualize, but here goes. You weld a short piece of 4"/5" pipe onto your gate post. You have a sliding rod (with a hole through it to take the lock) welded to your gate. The rod slides back and forth like a bolt on a rifle. When it enters the pipe through the side, you lock it. If the fit is tight enough you can't get bolt cutters in there to cut the lock. I've seen them many times on oilfield gates, even ones that take multiple locks so different people can get in. To work, it needs to be a pain in the but to even get your hand in there to work a combo lock.

If you don't have a pipe or tubing gate and pipe entrance posts, you're whizzing in the wind though. They're gonna cut the fence and come in anyway. Obviously the above won't work with a panel gate, cheap tubing gate, etc.

My gate looks like this. Would it work on it?

Comment

This does a pretty good job

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                        My gate looks like this. Would it work on it?

The ones I've seen it done right on were heavy gates made out of pipe with it built in. But I guess if you have the materials and a welder you can make anything work. If they're that determined though your next problem will be keeping the other side of the gate attached to the posts depending how they are. That's where home made one's shine. We found our lease gate off the post after we changed the locks
                        Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 03-03-2018, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Any chance to see a pic of this set up?

Comment

I don't have any pics. I think in your case I would build some heavier gates and go with the hardened chain, (nothing less than 3/8ths) and a really good hardened lock. The Master and Sesame type combo locks aren't even childproof. I would go to an oilfield supply store or search the web for the lock. You can get the chain at a place that deals in chain and cables, places like TSC and lumber yards probably don't have it. Good luck !

Comment

I don't have any pics. I think in your case I would build some heavier gates and go with the hardened chain, (nothing less than 3/8ths) and a really good hardened lock. The Master and Sesame type combo locks aren't even childproof. I would go to an oilfield supply store or search the web for the lock. You can get the chain at a place that deals in chain and cables, places like TSC and lumber yards probably don't have it. Good luck !

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X