Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those that travel for work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those that travel for work.

I interviewed for a job that would require me to travel at least 1 week a month. Most is close range airline travel, meaning I can fly out late Monday and return mid afternoon Friday, but this leaves my wife with 3 kids to get ready for daycare and school and get to her job.

I used to travel a bit, but we just had 1 kid then. How do your wives handle it? Do they recruit help?

Really think that this is a good opportunity, but don’t want it to come at the expense of my marriage and family

FTR- income would stay static to what I make today. So hiring help would be tough

Comment

Good luck on your decision. I couldn’t do it.

Comment

Hope it works out for you. I wouldn't go for it.

Comment

How does your wife feel about it?
          I would have to hire a full time nanny or get a divorce lawyer.

Comment

FTR - I used to travel 75% of the time.

Comment

If you are making the same amount of money you do now why change?

Comment

Next week is my first trip since our baby was born, my wife is used to me traveling 2-3 weeks a month but not sure how this will go. Luckily both of our parents live close so right now we are planning on her staying with her parents or her mom staying at our house to help while I’m gone.

Do you have family close that can help gets the kids to daycare?

Comment

I worked in management consulting for a while and several of the guys I worked with traveled 300+ days a year. From what I saw, the guys on the younger side had a blast as the company would fly their spouse pretty much anywhere for weekend trips. The guys with families/younger kids seemed to really struggle with making the whole thing balance. I was fortunate to be energy focused so most of my work was based here in Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                    How does your wife feel about it?
                    I would have to hire a full time nanny or get a divorce lawyer.
                    I’d say you summarized it fairly well, maybe not to that extent (divorce), but she isn’t excited about it. This is a very growth oriented company, and they are hiring With the idea of succession, the VP will retire in no more than 2 years. So this could be a temp pain before I come exceeds our dual income, at which point she could exit the workforce. But it could be a long period in the interim.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                      If you are making the same amount of money you do now why change?
                      I really do not enjoy what I do currently, this is the sort of work I believe I was made for. And it appears future opportunity would be a bit more open in this career

Comment

4 nights out of town a month is not that big a deal. could you work from home on Fridays?

if you get promoted at the new company, will you be traveling more, less, or the same? if there is never an end in sight to travel, be wary.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                          4 nights out of town a month is not that big a deal. could you work from home on Fridays?

if you get promoted at the new company, will you be traveling more, less, or the same? if there is never an end in sight to travel, be wary.
                          I would work from home ALWAYS except when traveling. There would always be some commitment of travel I think at all levels of the org.

Comment

Do not do it ,if your wife is against it at all. It is not going to go well if she doesn't support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                              I interviewed for a job that would require me to travel at least 1 week a month. Most is close range airline travel, meaning I can fly out late Monday and return mid afternoon Friday, but this leaves my wife with 3 kids to get ready for daycare and school and get to her job.

I used to travel a bit, but we just had 1 kid then. How do your wives handle it? Do they recruit help?

Really think that this is a good opportunity, but don’t want it to come at the expense of my marriage and family
                              I run a large field organization and I can tell you from both personal experience and direct reports feedback it's tough. Unless your wife is 110% onboard with eyes wide open it's tough and at usually after 2 years those folks are looking for an exit strategy. That said my guys are on a plane or hotel almost weekly.

Comment

Working...
                              X