June: exotics at KJO and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June: exotics at KJO and others

It's looking likely that two of us from up here in Pa will be booking an exotics and ram package for Late June. Is this an ok time of year? I see that it will be hotter n he'll then but scheduling demands these dates. Will the heat change the way we hunt? Also, does KJO allow any spot n stalk hunting?

Also, do you guys eat Ram? If I wanted to donate locally is that an easy endeavor or is it frowned upon locally? Does KJO assist with this at all?

My bet would be hunting trails near the water holes!
    I have always heard ram is coyote food, but could just be what I have heard.

Comment

If you go in June I would hunt the trails between 10am and 2pm as I know for a fact the animals move really good at KJO during those times. Most people will not hunt those times because of the heat and the animals know it. Make sure you bring a thermacell because the Skeeters will be real bad if they have any rain before your hunt.

Comment

I would definitely try and hunt the water sources and the midday idea is a good one. The animals at Keith's are smart and know most hunters are at camp midday. Keith normally doesn't allow spot and stalk, but it never hurts to ask. I personally have never eaten ram, so I'm no help there. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer them the best I can. Good luck on your hunt.

Comment

I have eaten a number of rams. They can be very good if prepared right. We will cook a roast in the crock pot all day with potatos and carrots.

I have not been able to make an Aoudad eatable, but the other types yes.

I have not hunted at KJO, but the only exotic deer that may have antlers are axis. The rest will be half grown in velvet. Of course horned animals like blackbuck will be okay.

Best of luck.

Comment

Hunting will be good, it will be hot and they will have to go get food and water. Good luck and I hope you enjoy Texas in the summertime. Watch out for snakes.

Spot and stalk will probably depend on your group size and whether or not it will effect other peoples hunts. Talk to Keith, he will let you know.

Rams in my opinion are not very good tablefare. I like the idea of donating the meat since you are from far away, especially any exotics. But donating a ram or wild hog might be the equivalent of donating a bunch of carp or gar to a homeless shelter. It technically can feed people, but it takes a ton of preparation to make it eatable. Again just my opinion. I would talk to Keith about people he might know that need some help near the area, he will probably be able to steer you in the right direction. You never know, some of them may love ram meat.

You will have a blast, and again good luck!

Comment

Hunted at kjo last summer. Carry lots of fluids to the stand, you can run out quick. Durring the summer months there it seamed that they cycle through the ranch. Those who moved from stand to stand did not see much. Those who stayed in the same stand saw more animals.

Comment

Goodluck on ur hunt

Comment

Take lots of water with you and watch out for snakes!

Comment

Working...
                  X