How to patch boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to patch boat?

I've had a 10' jon boat laying in my back yard for 3 yrs. It has some cracks along the bottom that need to be fixed. I had gotten some rods that are for aluminum but, I have no welding experience so, lets just say it wasn't working. I do have plenty of rods to finish the job just need some tips or guidance on how. Any useful help is appreciated. I need this as cheaply done as possible.

Watch YouTube videos, I heard it help if you hear up the aluminum on the boat a little bit. Also make sure there is no paint on the surrounding area. It will work but I wouldn't use it as a solution. Sinking boats are no fun, I would take it to a welder and have them weld the cracks. That way you don't even have to worry.

Comment

What type of welding are you doing on it? You say rods so I'm guessing stick? You REALLY need to use a mig machine spool gun alluminium wire and has to be EXTREMELY clean! If you wanna give it a go with a stick rod I think your suppose to run alluminium reverse polarity I think.

Comment

If you're not a welder, please don't even think about welding aluminum. Especially not a boat. I been welding for fourty years and can't weld aluminum.

Comment

Ductape

It would actually work.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurdawg View Post
            What type of welding are you doing on it? You say rods so I'm guessing stick? You REALLY need to use a mig machine spool gun alluminium wire and has to be EXTREMELY clean! If you wanna give it a go with a stick rod I think your suppose to run alluminium reverse polarity I think.
            I think he's talking about aluminum soldering rods.

Comment

I wouldn't try to weld it, it's too thin unless you really know what you are doing. JB Weld would be a better choice if you aren't a welder.

Comment

Fluxless brazing rods. You can do it yourself fairly easily.

Comment

Flexseal

Comment

Punch a hole in the bottom of a soda can practice on it. Once you can weld it up and it will hold water your good to go.

Comment

Just went through this. Someone thought they could weld a simple crack in my aluminum boat. Well they made it worse. You can contaminate the aluminum and it just blows holes in it made it a lot harder for the second person to fix. Which shoulda been a simple job. I just got another boat with some bad rivets. A 70s Monark. I'm gonna just clean the holes up and JB water weld it. It'll be harder to weld with all the junk and old putty or whatever is already on it. Then I'm gonna paint the outside and roll on Bedliner the inside. Shouldn't leak after that

Comment

Please don't use JB Weld if you plan to have it professionally welded by someone with experience. It is a welder's nightmare! Reason being, aluminum is a very porous material compared to other metals. The JB gets in those pores. And is really hard to get out. Even with a wire brush or grinder. As it melts back into the surrounding pores. The material must be clean and free from all foreign agents, paint, oil, grim, dirt, oxidation, and contaminants. If not free, then the material will not come together properly.

I've been welding aluminum since I was 18yoa. And did structural warranty repair for Tracker, and a number of other mfgs, for 2 years solid about 15 years ago. One of a many long list of jobs I've had. Doing it today for Bell Textron.

Comment

I used 3M 5200 Marine sealant. I had some small cracks on my Tracker and this stuff has held for years. I cleaned it and scuffed it up real good first. Once it sets up its some tough stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                            Flexseal
                            Beat me to it

Comment

I use jb weld.

Comment

Working...
                              X