Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)
Default Mobile hotspot wifi at ranch

Has anyone had success using a mobile hotspot (semi-permanently) at their ranch or home away from home? Considering a Verizon device for an additional $10/mth.

I would like to get a wifi thermostat so we can adjust the temps remotely and turn on heat to avoid frozen pipes.

I've had good luck with my phone but can one of these hotspots stay connected for extended periods of time and will they burn up the rechargeable batteries if plugged in 24/7?

Thanks for any input.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

I had one at work for 4 years and it was always plugged in I never had any major issues with it. Every now and then it would get hung up or something and you had to pull the battery and reset it but that was maybe twice a year.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Not a bad idea. Keep in mind that WiFi and the thermostat won’t work if you lose power due to ice
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #4
southtx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Zapata tx

I run an att hot spot at my house as my full time internet service. It’s worked out so far
southtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Not a bad idea. Keep in mind that WiFi and the thermostat wonít work if you lose power due to ice
My furnace fan wouldn't work but technically the hotspot and thermostat would work for a while as both have batteries! Guess I could see the heat dropping and know!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

I have found that when the system gets busy or you have used a good number of gigs( even though it is unlimited) they tend to slow up your speed and the TV or net goes on the fritz for a while...Being you are only paying $10/ mo and are unlimited. You are are the low end of users they are concerned with providing speedy wi fi through cell. I use it( verizon) at my NY camp to monitor house/land ect.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #7
armadillophil
Ten Point

I'm giving this a try this week at lakehouse. I have good verizon service so adding a the hotspot for 10/month. I have a smart tv so I am hoping it can stream movies but not sure it can handle that. Only other option is satellite and I don't want that bill.
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

We have AT&T hot spot as our dedicated wi-fi service at our home... it is on 24/7-365 and is more dependable than the satellite TV service we have... When weather gets bad, satellite goes out... if need be, we can stream news and such with the hot spot. Plus it is much faster than the satellite internet service. We've had no issues and have been using it since Oct. 2015.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
PROD49
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
Has anyone had success using a mobile hotspot (semi-permanently) at their ranch or home away from home? Considering a Verizon device for an additional $10/mth.

I would like to get a wifi thermostat so we can adjust the temps remotely and turn on heat to avoid frozen pipes.

I've had good luck with my phone but can one of these hotspots stay connected for extended periods of time and will they burn up the rechargeable batteries if plugged in 24/7?

Thanks for any input.
I have ATT Hotspot at Ranch. I stream TV and surf internet there.
PROD49 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #10
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I have a Verizon Hotspot as my full time internet source. If you get the prepaid plan ($70/month) and buy the device up front $($170) it is unlimited and not throttled.

We do everything with it and have no complaints. Switched to this setup from HughesNet and should have done it a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #11
DosToros
Six Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells County, Oklahoma, Kansas

Can y’all go into more detail about your equipment/devices that you are using to make this happen? Thanks!
DosToros is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #12
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

I am also considering whether hooking up a wifi camera for security will use a bunch of data...I assume I could use a memory card and it would only upload pics or video when I accessed the camera from my phone...but I would want to research this and test out using one of my existing cameras...

My verizon 3g spartan cell cam is not long for this world!
Old 03-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #13
BRust
Six Point

Hunt In: Around Lake Somerville & Brackettville

BRust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #14
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosToros View Post
Can yíall go into more detail about your equipment/devices that you are using to make this happen? Thanks!
Just go to the Verizon store. You'll pay about $170 for the little device. You then prepay $70 for the first month of service. If you set it up for autopay it is then $65 a month.

Turn the device on, select the network on the computer/phone/whatever and enter the password. I leave it plugged into the charger all the time so I don't have to worry about the battery going dead.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #15
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

The NEST thermostat works really well. It does need a wifi near it in order to send/receive. Love mine here at home.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #16
armadillophil
Ten Point

I bought the Verizon jetpak and tried it out this weekend. Went thru 15 gb of days after 3 movies. Even though it’s unlimited they throttled back on it. I had a new tv and I think it was set to 4K and that’s why it burned up so much data.
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #17
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillophil View Post
I bought the Verizon jetpak and tried it out this weekend. Went thru 15 gb of days after 3 movies. Even though itís unlimited they throttled back on it. I had a new tv and I think it was set to 4K and thatís why it burned up so much data.
Whoa! Unlimited plan I hope!
Old 03-20-2019, 08:37 PM   #18
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Just ordered a verizon jetpack mifi on Amazon for < $40 (used). Will report back on data usage after some testing on my Honeywell wifi thermostat and wyze security camera.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #19
wfontjr
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
Just ordered a verizon jetpack mifi on Amazon for < $40 (used). Will report back on data usage after some testing on my Honeywell wifi thermostat and wyze security camera.
I have the same exact set up. The cameras only use data when you are remotely viewing them, not much data usage. The Honeywell thermostat uses a little for updates each nite, weather report, trivial. You will want a battery backup for the hotspot as mine lost power and shutdown often, now seldom.
wfontjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top