Mobile hotspot wifi at ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile hotspot wifi at ranch

Has anyone had success using a mobile hotspot (semi-permanently) at their ranch or home away from home? Considering a Verizon device for an additional $10/mth.

I would like to get a wifi thermostat so we can adjust the temps remotely and turn on heat to avoid frozen pipes.

I've had good luck with my phone but can one of these hotspots stay connected for extended periods of time and will they burn up the rechargeable batteries if plugged in 24/7?

Thanks for any input.

I had one at work for 4 years and it was always plugged in I never had any major issues with it. Every now and then it would get hung up or something and you had to pull the battery and reset it but that was maybe twice a year.

Comment

Not a bad idea. Keep in mind that WiFi and the thermostat won’t work if you lose power due to ice

Comment

I run an att hot spot at my house as my full time internet service. It’s worked out so far

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
          Not a bad idea. Keep in mind that WiFi and the thermostat won’t work if you lose power due to ice
          My furnace fan wouldn't work but technically the hotspot and thermostat would work for a while as both have batteries! Guess I could see the heat dropping and know!

Comment

I have found that when the system gets busy or you have used a good number of gigs( even though it is unlimited) they tend to slow up your speed and the TV or net goes on the fritz for a while...Being you are only paying $10/ mo and are unlimited. You are are the low end of users they are concerned with providing speedy wi fi through cell. I use it( verizon) at my NY camp to monitor house/land ect.

Comment

I'm giving this a try this week at lakehouse. I have good verizon service so adding a the hotspot for 10/month. I have a smart tv so I am hoping it can stream movies but not sure it can handle that. Only other option is satellite and I don't want that bill.

Comment

We have AT&T hot spot as our dedicated wi-fi service at our home... it is on 24/7-365 and is more dependable than the satellite TV service we have... When weather gets bad, satellite goes out... if need be, we can stream news and such with the hot spot. Plus it is much faster than the satellite internet service. We've had no issues and have been using it since Oct. 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                  Has anyone had success using a mobile hotspot (semi-permanently) at their ranch or home away from home? Considering a Verizon device for an additional $10/mth.

I would like to get a wifi thermostat so we can adjust the temps remotely and turn on heat to avoid frozen pipes.

I've had good luck with my phone but can one of these hotspots stay connected for extended periods of time and will they burn up the rechargeable batteries if plugged in 24/7?

Thanks for any input.
                  I have ATT Hotspot at Ranch. I stream TV and surf internet there.

Comment

I have a Verizon Hotspot as my full time internet source. If you get the prepaid plan ($70/month) and buy the device up front $($170) it is unlimited and not throttled.

We do everything with it and have no complaints. Switched to this setup from HughesNet and should have done it a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can y’all go into more detail about your equipment/devices that you are using to make this happen? Thanks!

Comment

I am also considering whether hooking up a wifi camera for security will use a bunch of data...I assume I could use a memory card and it would only upload pics or video when I accessed the camera from my phone...but I would want to research this and test out using one of my existing cameras...

My verizon 3g spartan cell cam is not long for this world!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DosToros View Post
                            Can y’all go into more detail about your equipment/devices that you are using to make this happen? Thanks!
                            Just go to the Verizon store. You'll pay about $170 for the little device. You then prepay $70 for the first month of service. If you set it up for autopay it is then $65 a month.

Turn the device on, select the network on the computer/phone/whatever and enter the password. I leave it plugged into the charger all the time so I don't have to worry about the battery going dead.

Comment

The NEST thermostat works really well. It does need a wifi near it in order to send/receive. Love mine here at home.

Comment

Working...
                              X