Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #51
STICKIT
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and S. Texas when I can

I feel like it is pretty easy to make money if your not scared of the labor involved. You will likely work for 2 bucks/hour most of the time until you figure it out. It takes most people about 5 years to ever really be profitable. I did figure out early on that debt free is the only way to roll.
It is easier to run a business with you being the only employee. That is a double edged sword. If your always the man doing the work, then your not out making more cash somewhere else. I am not great at dealing with employees, but I am learning. Everyone is different and that is hard for me to understand.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
STICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #52
schmalzy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gulf coast and VA

I made the leap about 90 days ago as a commercial fire sprinkler contractor. Everything is still in its infancy but it certainly is much more fulfilling than working for someone else. Itíll make you disciplined real quick. Super easy to justify spending money. Having a mentor is
Invaluable.

The way business is done and the people leading those businesses is changing. I was done watching a bunch of others repeat the same tired business models and live a better life than I was. Did my homework, figured
Out the capital situation, and pulled the trigger. Every industry is different but I picked a specific section of the industry to focus on. Risk exposure is very real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schmalzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #53
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

I have always respected the folks that can take the leap to starting their own business. IMHO you have to be wired for it with all the risks that is involved. My hats off to each of you. I have ventured off the path and started small side gigs but I always had my regular job to fall back on. I retired early so it’s definitely off my radar now. Lol
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #54
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
Roger that. I know being a jerk would be an issue, but know a lot of business is just because they "like" you. I dont think anyone ( well, nobody I deal with professionally ) thinks Im a jerk, but Im not a guy people particularly like.

I do have a hard time turning down work, even if its a "bad" job. I always hope it leads to a relationship that brings me more work. I have noticed that some will take advantage of you if you do the hard stuff. Seems like if you always bail em out and do the hot jobs due asap, some ONLY call you when they need it asap
Be super honest. You will see the blame game going around. If you screw up you call them before they find out and tell them you screwed up. I did this and the people in charge were stunned because no one ever takes the blame. Once they trust you they should use you. And then you can charge whatever you want and they will still use you unless something forces them not to.

You don't have to be one of those people guys that everyone loves. You just need to make their job go smooth and easy.

And never be afraid to charge a lot more for the bad jobs. Again, just be honest up front. Tell them if they're more regular clients you can work with them more on prices (if they ask or complain about the higher price).
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #55
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Iím in the very beginning stages of mine as well. I have a full time fire department job. With only working 10 days a month a side gig is a no brainer. At first I was just working PT for other departments but I wanted something more. Iíve always been intrigued by sales so thatís naturally what I gravitated towards. Started selling roofs for a buddy and became addicted to the money. Iím 5 years into roofing now and make almost as much as i do at the FD on the side. Been thinking about going at it full time but canít make myself dump the pension this early. Iím really hoping I can make it last another 10 years as a part time job but itís going to be hard!!
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #56
yotethumper
Eight Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I'm about to take the plunge myself. I'm sick of egotistical managers that can't lead and communicate. Real leaders don't treat employees like dogs. I'm tired of the office gossip, especially from company leaders. It would be stressful going out on your own and taking a jump but it sure beats a caustic work environment. Maybe I am just unlucky, but everywhere I go I have worked my butt off, came early and left late, done everything with a 110% attitude, and brought worth to the company only to be taken for granted. One day I am going to expect alot from my employees but I am going to treat them fairly and support them. The employees that help put value into my company will be valued.

Last edited by yotethumper; 07-15-2019 at 01:47 PM.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #57
Hunter Dan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I dropped out of high school at 16 and have almost never held a job for someone else, never really wanted to but also didn't qualify. I spent my younger years in the construction business, I made plenty of money but was too young to be smart with it. In 2006 construction busted with the mortgage crisis, and I had my first of 3 back surgeries and needed an easier job. I got together with my brother and started a security alarm company. We sold that company close to 5 years ago to a fortune 250(that I can't name). I took a few years off after that but since then have started a few other businesses that keep me very busy. I'm 41 now and plan to but in about 4 or 5 more years before I put it on cruise control.
Hunter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #58
keestan31
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifton View Post
My one and only biggest problem is employees within our family business. 35+ employees

If i was to start something new i would make it something that would cap out with a handful of employees. By that i mean something that could be ran and operated efficiently with 3-4 people max.

At the end of the day, money, supplies etc is nothing. Employees are 80+% of our stress and problems.
X2....33 employees at our firm
keestan31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 05:11 PM   #59
Huntingfool
Six Point

at the end of the day any business owner should be about relationships. Develop relationships with your customers and they will refer you to their friends and on and on.

Good buddy of mine started out years ago running a bull dozier for someone. He then started his own site prep company and over 20 years built one heck of a business.

He did it by developing relationships with the right folks - took them hunting and fishing, supported their causes, etc. He sold his company a couple of years ago for millions. It did not happen by accident - He had no special training or college - just a savvy guy who worked hard and treated folks right.
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #60
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Know your limitations and never exceed them. Treat every person you deal with respectfully, fairly and do each job as if you are paying someone else to do it for you. Pay your taxes.

Gary
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #61
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Good stories but yall know yall didnt build that. Some will know the source of that little tidbit.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #62
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Good stories but yall know yall didnt build that. Some will know the source of that little tidbit.
Yes, said the little **** ant that never ran a business or risked his own money in his life....
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #63
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifton View Post
My one and only biggest problem is employees within our family business. 35+ employees

If i was to start something new i would make it something that would cap out with a handful of employees. By that i mean something that could be ran and operated efficiently with 3-4 people max.

At the end of the day, money, supplies etc is nothing. Employees are 80+% of our stress and problems.
I canít agree enough !
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #64
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
I'm about to take the plunge myself. I'm sick of egotistical managers that can't lead and communicate. Real leaders don't treat employees like dogs. I'm tired of the office gossip, especially from company leaders. It would be stressful going out on your own and taking a jump but it sure beats a caustic work environment. Maybe I am just unlucky, but everywhere I go I have worked my butt off, came early and left late, done everything with a 110% attitude, and brought worth to the company only to be taken for granted. One day I am going to expect alot from my employees but I am going to treat them fairly and support them. The employees that help put value into my company will be valued.
Another that I canít agree with enough ! I got tired of people that couldnít crank a dozer telling me how to do it, and went out on my own. Twelve years later, sold that business and started consulting. Made as much money and no employees. Whoopee !
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #65
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Oh, I know the source.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #66
Huntingfool
Six Point

Quote:
What the heck does this mean? Enlighten me
Old 07-15-2019, 10:14 PM   #67
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post
What the heck does this mean? Enlighten me
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GjqdP6KSOE/YOUTUBE]
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2019, 05:59 AM   #68
Huntingfool
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
LOL - forgot about that brilliant statement -thanks
Old 07-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #69
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

Some awesome replies to this thread...thanks for sharing!

Its been 5 months since I called it quits on my 10+ year career in construction and we started our own gig. Its early, but we really are enjoying the freedom and family time
ClayW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top