Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default Guys trips

Let me hear about some awesome guys trips yíall have done, or have considered doing. Iíve done Colorado fly fishing, Moab trail riding trips, Colorado UTV and 4 wheeler trail riding, Idaho ďhuntingĒ, Brazos River kayak and canoe trips, Frio River floating trips, ranch trips to BFE for a 4-5days LF shenanigans, Vegas SHOT Show for the week, and countless other weekend or long weekend trips within 5-6 hours of home.

Iím considering a 3-4 day trip over Labor Day, and donít know where I want to go yet. The wife loves to travel with me, but sheís working that weekend so I get a pass. Iíd like to keep it outdoor related if at all possible. Iím not against 10-12 hours of drive time to get somewhere, then spend two days there followed by another day of driving home. It may just be myself, but it may also be 3-4 or more buddies with me. I can usually manage to convince at least 2-3 other buds to tag along. Plus I just enjoy hearing good old fashioned campfire stories.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #2
CEO
Pope & Young
 
CEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Default

Last one I did was Guadalupe Peak. None of my friends who can travel hunt or fish so we either do something like that or meet in a random city. Last city we did was Ft Worth. After a late night of libations one guy fell asleep in the bathtub and flooded the entire room. Two days later he almost ripped the fender off his Dodge with a bad parking job. Good times all around.

Planning to hike a loop in Big Bend this year.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Been going to Richland Chambers for 24 years straight. No women allowed. Period

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
Last one I did was Guadalupe Peak. None of my friends who can travel hunt or fish so we either do something like that or meet in a random city. Last city we did was Ft Worth. After a late night of libations one guy fell asleep in the bathtub and flooded the entire room. Two days later he almost ripped the fender off his Dodge with a bad parking job. Good times all around.

Planning to hike a loop in Big Bend this year.
Guadalupe Peak hasnít even crossed my mind, and Iím not sure why. Spending a few days in Big Bend hiking and camping, then crossing over to Bolquillas for an afternoon was on the possibility list though. Neither one of those sound too bad as long as itís not 100+ all weekend. Thank you sir!
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Been going to Richland Chambers for 24 years straight. No women allowed. Period

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I wish I could get into bass fishing like that. Iím assuming thatís what youíre doing anyways. Iíve tried a few times, and I just canít get on a lake and fish comfortably for extended periods. Put me on a river in the mountains with a fly rod in my hand, and I can entertain myself for days. I donít mind tagging along on a bass fishing trip as long as I donít run out of beer, but I wonít be doing much of anything other than killing time haha thanks for the input sir!
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
Jon B
Ten Point
 
Jon B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Tx.
Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States
Default

Big Bend or Beach house rental with bay/offshore charter.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #7
Rafter S
Six Point
 
Rafter S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Leaving tomorrow for a four day fishing trip for trout at wolf creek damm in Ky
I’m smoking a brisket and a pork butt and taking some pinto beans.
Going to be lots or bourbon ay night. We are going to Ky after all
Rafter S is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #8
Acameron52
Ten Point
 
Acameron52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lewisville
Hunt In: Coleman & Loving
Default

Headed to Port A first weekend in August with some buddies for a long weekend. Going on an Off Shore trip Saturday! Gonna be a good time.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #9
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter S View Post
Leaving tomorrow for a four day fishing trip for trout at wolf creek damm in Ky
Iím smoking a brisket and a pork butt and taking some pinto beans.
Going to be lots or bourbon ay night. We are going to Ky after all
That sounds amazing! We better get some pics!
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #10
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
Big Bend or Beach house rental with bay/offshore charter.
Iíve never been offshore. Iím interested, but donít know the first thing about it. Iíve passed on a few opportunities due to timing. Need to make it happen the next time it arrives, but Iím not comfortable setting the trip up. I donít know enough to know what to do, or who to go with. Iíll make it happen soon enough though!
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acameron52 View Post
Headed to Port A first weekend in August with some buddies for a long weekend. Going on an Off Shore trip Saturday! Gonna be a good time.
What do yíall fish for down there? Iím interested in the idea for sure!
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #12
Smoothing Iron
Spike
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Llano
Default

Kayak / fishing trip down the Devils River.
Smoothing Iron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #13
curtintex
Pope & Young
 
curtintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Porter, TX
Hunt In: Trinity County
Default

Ten days in Elbow Cay, Abaco, Bahamas. We rented two houses, two boats, took all of our tackle and bait with us. Took a taxi from the airport to the dock where we loaded our gear in boat the boats and headed off with a map of the Bahamas to find our island. The famous red and white lighthouse was the view out of my bedroom window everyday. We fished everyday and ate what we caught every night. One local grocery store and a bar that served cold Kalik beer and plenty of fried conch filled most of our needs. It was a great trip.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #14
Kingfisher789
Ten Point
 
Kingfisher789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Austin. Jim Ned Creek
Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood
Default

Babymoon? . Just kidding...
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #15
be12hunt
Ten Point
 
be12hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Hunt In: Montell, TX
Default

A fishing trip that starts in Texas and heads towards Florida.
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #16
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point
 
Spoiled_TN_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: South Austin
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

My brother and I hiked the Great Smoky Mountain National Park section of the Appalachian Trail in 5 days. Approximately 77 miles. We spent Father's Day on top of "Rocky Top" looking at pictures of our children and thanking God for our adventure.


Drove from Texas to Cali and back with my dad (63 yrs old) and my son (11 yrs old) hitting every National Park, National Monument, and National Forest along the way.
Carlsbad Caverns, Guadalupe Peak, Chiricahua National Monument, Joshua Tree, Los Angeles, Santa Monica Beach, Sequoia National Forest, Death Valley, Los Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, home.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 PM   #17
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
Babymoon? . Just kidding...
Hahaha in a way yes, but by no means due to that. I havenít admitted to many, but my wife is expecting our first. Sheís 14 weeks currently, and I figure I wonít get a chance after that. It was on the radar before we even found out sheís expecting though.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 09:35 PM   #18
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
My brother and I hiked the Great Smoky Mountain National Park section of the Appalachian Trail in 5 days. Approximately 77 miles. We spent Father's Day on top of "Rocky Top" looking at pictures of our children and thanking God for our adventure.


Drove from Texas to Cali and back with my dad (63 yrs old) and my son (11 yrs old) hitting every National Park, National Monument, and National Forest along the way.
Carlsbad Caverns, Guadalupe Peak, Chiricahua National Monument, Joshua Tree, Los Angeles, Santa Monica Beach, Sequoia National Forest, Death Valley, Los Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, home.
That sounds like a great trip, but no way the wife would let me do that without her. Our honeymoon was 5500 miles from Durango CO north through Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Glacier NP, Banff NP, Yoho NP, Kootenay NP, Yellowstone NP, and the Tetons. Sheís as much of an outdoor addict as I am, but I prefer to stay outdoors days on end. She wants 1-2 nights then a shower and repeat lol
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #19
curtintex
Pope & Young
 
curtintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Porter, TX
Hunt In: Trinity County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Hahaha in a way yes, but by no means due to that. I havenít admitted to many, but my wife is expecting our first. Sheís 14 weeks currently, and I figure I wonít get a chance after that. It was on the radar before we even found out sheís expecting though.
Congrats, Bud!!! That's great news. Happy for y'all.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #20
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Ten days in Elbow Cay, Abaco, Bahamas. We rented two houses, two boats, took all of our tackle and bait with us. Took a taxi from the airport to the dock where we loaded our gear in boat the boats and headed off with a map of the Bahamas to find our island. The famous red and white lighthouse was the view out of my bedroom window everyday. We fished everyday and ate what we caught every night. One local grocery store and a bar that served cold Kalik beer and plenty of fried conch filled most of our needs. It was a great trip.
Iíd love to do something like this, but I canít see it anytime in the foreseeable future. Iím practically stuck to 3-4 days at a time for guys trips, and the longer trips are reserved for the wife/soon to be family. I love hearing about trips like these anyways, and will definitely keep them on mind when I can afford to take the time away.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #21
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Congrats, Bud!!! That's great news. Happy for y'all.
Thank you sir! Itís going to be a change of pace for sure, but weíre excited!
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 10:29 PM   #22
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

TBH tuna 48-50 hour tuna trip. This still happens every year.

A long time ago we had a TBH elk bow hunting get together in Colorado
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com