Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam
Default Mobile Home

Somebody talk me off the ledge....

My wife and I have been looking for land to buy and build another house on to live in then sell in 5-6 years to upgrade. Now we came across some land that we would like to build a "forever home" as my wife calls it but if we buy the land we won't be ready to build that type house for about 5 more years.

What I am thinking about right now is buying a basic singlewide for ~40K brand new and living in it for 5 years, paying it off then moving it to a lot and using it for rent property.

I am I completely crazy for trying to look at a mobile home as an investment when I know they are depreciating assets?

Last edited by AgHntr10; 03-20-2018 at 04:52 PM.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #2
ladrones
Pope & Young

Five years from now you will completely regret the mobile home.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

I like the plan except the buying the mobile new. Pick up a used one for 10 to 15k and then sell it when you build your house.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
BW96
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

Only way it would make sense is buy used and then owner finance. Basically renting because very rarely do they ever pay it off. But you don't have to worry with the maintenance or the tenants. At the same time you can pick who you sell to. If they don't look like they will take care of the place, tell them about the sinkhole. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
BW96
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

Also, for a bit more than 40k build a shop and live in it. Then you'll have the shop for later.

BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
I like the plan except the buying the mobile new. Pick up a used one for 10 to 15k and then sell it when you build your house.
This

I would definitely not buy a new mobile home, let someone else take the depreciation hit. You could either sell it for close to what you paid for it in 5-6 years or use it for rental property as you stated
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW96 View Post
Also, for a bit more than 40k build a shop and live in it. Then you'll have the shop for later.

Absolutely this^^^^
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #8
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

Before I ever bought a mobile home I would go with this. Finish out inside with a bathroom and kitchen. Open area for bed and living. Later after you build dream home you will have a nice mancave/shop.

Includes 4" slab, moisture barrier and electric stub. Many designs to choose from.
Attached Images

Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #9
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

Probably spray insulation, indoor siding, electrical and everything you need for another $10k-$15k.

$20k-$25k complete. More work but way better. Mobile home won't be worth $5k in 5 yrs and you would throw away $35k. Shop would hold it's value plus!
Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #10
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

Repoed mobile home can be a great buy as well. Definitely wouldn't go with new if you're going to sell.
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #11
MarkV
Pope & Young

Don't buy new. Like others have said. But your option is better than what we are about to do. I'm about to sell my house and move in with my mother in law.

We need the equity in our house for down payment on the new house.
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #12
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Barndoooooooooo
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #13
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Build a barndominium, similar to what Antlers is describing. Easily converted to a full time shop or man cave when you get ready to build the main home....or, add on to it!

Much better investment than a mobile and more functional. My old land company I retired from advertised land and barndominium's routinely and it works. A mobile is worse than buying a new truck, they depreciated big time day one.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #14
Leemo
Ten Point

Don't buy a mobile home for 40k
Get a diesel truck for 65k instead
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #15
Guerrero88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

^^^
This
Guerrero88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #16
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
I had mobile homes as rental property years ago. I'd never put a 5 year old Mobil home as a rental......they WILL tear it up.
Buy used but fairly nice. Then go with your plan
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #17
Hawkins
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young & Jack county

I did what you are saying. Main reason is it's a 20 minute drive to any town and we wanted to make sure we like it here before we built. I bought a new double wide. We have went in and take and textured walls, new floors etc. The place I bought it from said he would ask at least what I bought it from him for, new if I were to sell it today. I've had Brandos quoted an you are looking at least 80-110 a sqft. A mobile home is what it is. Not the greatest quality. I would probably buy used that has been totally updated. Tape and textured walls, real trim, etc.

Mine is almost paid for and we are actually thinking about keeping it and building a really nice barn. And when the kids move out in a few years. Maybe finish out the barn and live in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 07:45 PM   #18
Paycheck
Eight Point

I did the used double wide route. Lived in it 10 years, sold it for almost what I paid for it. Then built. But I like the barndominium idea.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #19
JonW
Six Point

Hunt In: Tennessee, Ohio, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
Don't buy a mobile home for 40k
Get a diesel truck for 65k instead
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #20
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County
Default Mobile Home

We bought a 2000 model repoed and refurbished single wide in 2006. Sold it for 15K last December. Take care of it and you can get your money back.

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #21
Hawkins
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young & Jack county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
I did what you are saying. Main reason is it's a 20 minute drive to any town and we wanted to make sure we like it here before we built. I bought a new double wide. We have went in and take and textured walls, new floors etc. The place I bought it from said he would ask at least what I bought it from him for, new if I were to sell it today. I've had Brandos quoted an you are looking at least 80-110 a sqft. A mobile home is what it is. Not the greatest quality. I would probably buy used that has been totally updated. Tape and textured walls, real trim, etc.

Mine is almost paid for and we are actually thinking about keeping it and building a really nice barn. And when the kids move out in a few years. Maybe finish out the barn and live in it.

Saying all that, I had a nice brick house in town and I would live in a mobile home in the country any day, vs living in town.

Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #22
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

I love the idea of a barndo, but I just don't see how I can get a 1000 sq ft of living space in a Barndo for anywhere close to the price of a mobile home.
Plus the mobile home has the potential to earn me money as a rental, I can take that and build the shop I really want down the road.

Side note, I want rental properties anyways. Not just considering it now

Last edited by AgHntr10; 03-20-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #23
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
I love the idea of a barndo, but I just don't see how I can get a 1000 sq ft of living space in a Barndo for anywhere close to the price of a mobile home.
Plus the mobile home has the potential to earn me money as a rental, I can take that and build the shop I really want down the road.

Side note, I want rental properties anyways. Not just considering it now
Sounds like you have the answer already from your post above.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #24
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I hope I didn't run you out of town
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #25
12ring
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, OK, KS.

I have a 1998 dblwide I'd sell for $10k !!! Needs some work/updating (Flooring/AC).
We're wanting to do a Barndo.
12ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #26
friscopaint
Ten Point

Some of the new manufactured houses are really nice
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #27
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ring View Post
I have a 1998 dblwide I'd sell for $10k !!! Needs some work/updating (Flooring/AC).
We're wanting to do a Barndo.
Thanks but I don't think it would be worth it to move one that far. Also wanting to stick with a singlewide to keep the moving cost down.

I'm not opposed to used, just don't want something that is already torn up.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #28
jer_james
Pope & Young

Do yall have kiddos ?
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #29
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
We bought a 2000 model repoed and refurbished single wide in 2006. Sold it for 15K last December. Take care of it and you can get your money back.

Skinny
This. Every situation is different, but there are ways to come out good on a mobile home deal.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #30
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Do yall have kiddos ?
1-2yr old
Old 03-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #31
12ring
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, OK, KS.
Default Another option.

Quote:
Thanks but I don't think it would be worth it to move one that far. Also wanting to stick with a singlewide to keep the moving cost down.

I'm not opposed to used, just don't want something that is already torn up.

Hell, for 150k, I'll sell it on 6 acres in Grayson Co on Sandy Creek (have plenty trail cam photos - watching 8 gobblers as I type....). And..... throw in 2016 23' toon w 140 Suzuki 4 stroke! 2015 Kaw Pro fxt negotiable.

I'm really wanting to unload everything & move to OK! Lol.
12ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 11:28 AM   #32
Ruark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere close by

Agree with the others; don't buy new unless you have money to throw away. They will indeed depreciate. They also tend to be made of much cheaper materials than a site built home. Bottom line, thin stuff. You'll notice the baseboards, for example, look nice, until you discover they're made from compressed paper. The walls are like 1/4" thick. If they're sheetrock, it's 3/8", not 1/2". The HVAC will be the cheapest piece of junk they can find.

There are other costs involved as well, remember. Water? Might need a well. How deep? It'll run you $35 - $40 a foot. Probably need a septic. Rocky out there? An aerobic septic will run you $8000 - $12000. Phone lines? Electricity? Fence, at least around the house? You'll need skirting around the bottom. If you don't want the usual plastic, you'll get hardi - run you about $3000 installed and painted. What about a porch with a cover over it? You want to sit outside, right? And you'll want gutters, I'm sure, or the side of the house will quickly be splashed with mud.

And none of this stuff will significantly add to the value of the home when you sell it.

There's a lot, lot more involved than just the off-the-lot price of a mobile home. I'd find a nice used one and pay close attention to the condition, especially the expensive stuff like the HVAC, roof, etc.
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #33
jer_james
Pope & Young

I would go as small and cheap as possible with just 1 little one running around. Focus on the forever home.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #34
BRust
Six Point

Hunt In: Around Lake Somerville & Brackettville

tag
BRust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #35
trhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Can't afford it I have Children

Land in Shepherd is really hard to come by these days. We built a Barndo and did most of the work. It didn't cost me 40K. I know a guy that has bought 6 used mobile home and put them on lots to rent. He is making a killing, yes it is work but he likes the money. If you are going to mobile home route, I would really search hard for a good used one before getting new. Like others have said if you take care of it you can get your money back.
trhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #36
jeremy360
Ten Point

Mobile homes have the same roll crimped type roof as an RV most of the time. Besides depreciation, get ready to play "leak of the week". Leaks around seams, windows, doors, flashings, etc. The hot and cold really gets those thin roofs. you can actually see the buckles when it gets hot. Been there, done that. They have thin walls with not great insulation. There's no attic so the sun beats down on them hard...high electric bills. They are cheaply constructed and you get what you pay for with them. They do work for some folks, just understand their limitations and what you may be up against in the line of maintenance. Forget it holding up under a renter, they will have it flat out destroyed. They don't really hold up when treating them well, much less when treating them bad. You can put a roof over them and alleviate the leak and sun problems, otherwise you will be up there mopping sealants and tars and whatever else trying to seal them back up after a rain. A cabin over a mobile home will last longer and have a much higher resale. You dont really want to be working on and maintaining a mobile home and trying to build a new home at the same time.

We did what you are doing....but we built a cabin. House is done...so now its for sale.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...9#post13124509

Anyhow, if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to give you a run down on what we did and why.
jeremy360 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #37
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhunter View Post
Land in Shepherd is really hard to come by these days. We built a Barndo and did most of the work. It didn't cost me 40K. I know a guy that has bought 6 used mobile home and put them on lots to rent. He is making a killing, yes it is work but he likes the money. If you are going to mobile home route, I would really search hard for a good used one before getting new. Like others have said if you take care of it you can get your money back.
I hear that about it being hard to come by. We actually looked at a place that would have made us neighbors this weekend but didn't make an offer on the place. How big a barndo did ya'll build?
Old 03-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #38
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
Agree with the others; don't buy new unless you have money to throw away. They will indeed depreciate. They also tend to be made of much cheaper materials than a site built home. Bottom line, thin stuff. You'll notice the baseboards, for example, look nice, until you discover they're made from compressed paper. The walls are like 1/4" thick. If they're sheetrock, it's 3/8", not 1/2". The HVAC will be the cheapest piece of junk they can find.

There are other costs involved as well, remember. Water? Might need a well. How deep? It'll run you $35 - $40 a foot. Probably need a septic. Rocky out there? An aerobic septic will run you $8000 - $12000. Phone lines? Electricity? Fence, at least around the house? You'll need skirting around the bottom. If you don't want the usual plastic, you'll get hardi - run you about $3000 installed and painted. What about a porch with a cover over it? You want to sit outside, right? And you'll want gutters, I'm sure, or the side of the house will quickly be splashed with mud.

And none of this stuff will significantly add to the value of the home when you sell it.

There's a lot, lot more involved than just the off-the-lot price of a mobile home. I'd find a nice used one and pay close attention to the condition, especially the expensive stuff like the HVAC, roof, etc.
I appreciate the input on the quality of the mobile homes, it is certainly something to consider. I understand the added cost of septic, well etc. but as stated I plan to build a house in the location eventually so those cost would be there regardless.

Lots of good information here, I think I am certainly shying away from a new MH if there are good deals to be had on a used one. Also still considering the barndo, just need to sit down and put all the numbers too it.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #39
sideways
Ten Point

Most current mobile homes have composition roofs and there is a big market for them new and used. They actually hold their value quite well. The problem is long term financing that makes the actual cost paid out 3 times the actual value of the home. Take care of it while you use it and you can get your money back out of it.
After saying all that I would go barndo personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sideways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #40
trhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Can't afford it I have Children

Quote:
I hear that about it being hard to come by. We actually looked at a place that would have made us neighbors this weekend but didn't make an offer on the place. How big a barndo did ya'll build?
40 x 50, Dad and I did all the work, except for concrete. It was tough but well worth it. Clint put a bid in on that place.
trhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #41
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Quote:
You can't!

Our barn is 3,200 sq feet, half of which is my shop.
The other half is garage and house ... house ended up 1,600 sq ft.
With concrete, building, septic, well, electricity, etc, we are about $130,000 in, and aren't done yet! Obviously you wouldn't need anything that big, but you'd be surprised how it adds up, and we are doing 90% of the work ourselves.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #42
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

So for the guys that suggested used, any recommendation for online places to look or places in the Houston area to look?
Old 03-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #43
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Tagged
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #44
clay4626
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roberston Co, Lincoln ranch and johnson ranch

criag's list and american classified
clay4626 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #45
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Quote:
So for the guys that suggested used, any recommendation for online places to look or places in the Houston area to look?

Ttt, looking around the Fredericksburg area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top