Practice Delimma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practice Delimma

I am a assistant high school basketball coach and the season has started for us, here is my problem. By the time I get home now after practice it is nearly dark and in a week it will be dark before I get home. Will practicing my shooting only on the weekends be enough or not to stay dialed in. i have been shooting at least 5 days a week until now and feel pretty good about my shooting. What say the experts on the GS?

Luminock and light up your targets two or three shots a day should keep you loose

Comment

Use a cheap floodlight at night. It's pretty cool to watch your luminocks fly plus the weather is nicer, I think.

Comment

Put a target in the gym for after practice

Comment

I rarely have time to practice these days and still proficient. When i get to the lease i go do a little stump shooting or take at least one arrow to the stand i can shoot at a leaf or sapling cedar. If you have been practicing that much you will be fine

Comment

I have found that the part I have to keep "dialed in" is much more my form than aiming. Soon it will get dark too early for me to shoot in the backyard after work so I will shoot at a blank bale in the garage every evening. If I do that enough to keep the elements of form (draw/anchor, etc) feeling automatic, the aiming/accuracy part comes back quickly when I do get a chance to shoot targets.

Comment

I shoot every night driveway into garage, using street lights as only lighting, similar to full moon lighting.

Comment

Get some halogen lights. I do almost all my practice at night after the kids go to bed. I have found it is important to see you arrow as well as the target. Even though I shoot instinctively my accuracy goes away if I'm standing out of the light.

Comment

You might be surprised, there could be a range nearby. I live just a few minutes from a Gander Mountain store (that has an excellent, rarely used range). The fee, by the month, is about $35 and last Jan, Feb I shot about 3 nights a week and sometimes Sun afternoon and had the range completely to myself every session.

Comment

The floodlight is a good idea or even finding a space to shoot blank bale inside the house (if the wife allows it, of course). As Jerp said, it is mostly losing form you will have to worry about. I have taken an increase work load that has essentially limited my time to shoot my recurves only on weekends. So far, no major or minor problems. My shooting is still solid as is my form. I will mention before I begin shooting on Saturday and Sunday I do a few shoots using a blank bale (bag target covered with an old bed sheet) solely focusing on form.

Good Luck!

Comment

I also do the floodlight, but I know that even shooting 1 to 2 times a week can make a big difference compared to those who think they are good from last year to the next, with no practice in between, i.e. my cousin.

Comment

You'd be surprised how little light it takes for decent practice sessions. Even just an extension cord with a utility light can work in the yard for practicing typical short range bowhunting shots. Just pretend it's the last 10 minutes of shooting light and you're on your favorite deer stand...can't get much better 'real' practice than that!

Comment

A cheap low lumen LED light at the target, just simulate twilight.

I don't know about most folks, but the majority of my deer seem to show up at the lowest legal shooting light possible. Simulate it and when your in the dim light of nature it will feel normal and you will shoot well.

I always shoot the first arrow of the day as my benchmark. For me, I gotta kill with the first arrow in the stand so...

Comment

Working...
                          X