New Hog Hunting Spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Hog Hunting Spot

Got set up in a new spot for some post deer season hog hunting today. I threw together an 8' wooden ladder stand the other day and took it out and hung it a little bit ago. This is actually along the road to my FIL's box stand. I think it's gonna work out pretty good. Perfect for a S or SW wind.

The stand itself

They've got a spot right in the road where they've been wallowing.

This is looking back at the stand from 12 yards, and where I'll put my soured corn when it's ready.

And it's right along this little branch that almost always holds some water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll go back Friday or Saturday and bait it up and put a camera on it. In a week or so I'll go back and see what the camera shows.

Comment

Good luck Ryan!

KAP

Bisch

Comment

That looks great! I wish we had hogs. I have only seen 2 since August and only a few on trail cams at night. You are going to do good there!
        What did you do to keep the stand against the tree and keep it from rocking. My dad had cut a V on the platform and mounted 2 used up skill saw blades to bite the tree and keep it from shifting.

Comment

I like it! Did you use 2x4 or 2x6 for the legs?

Comment

I killed a few deer out of stands just like that back in the day. Good luck on the hogs !

Comment

Go get em!

Comment

Originally posted by gettin closer View Post
                That looks great! I wish we had hogs. I have only seen 2 since August and only a few on trail cams at night. You are going to do good there!
                What did you do to keep the stand against the tree and keep it from rocking. My dad had cut a V on the platform and mounted 2 used up skill saw blades to bite the tree and keep it from shifting.
                I don't like them to move lol, so I drilled a 3/8'' hole through the back. Then I took a 5'' lag screw and hammered it into the tree to get it started, then took a ratchet and sucked it down tight. Then I wrapped a ratchet strap around the tree and attached it to those 1x4 braces at the top and sucked it down even more.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  I like it! Did you use 2x4 or 2x6 for the legs?
                  2x4's. I've made them with 2x6's before though too. This time I just used what I had around the house.

Comment

Another thing I though was strange while I was out today..the same area where I killed my buck this year had a trail leading to it that I wanted to check out. I walked in just 30 or 40 yards and found a lot of deer sign. I also found a ground scrape. It hadn't been worked just super recently, but had definitely been worked since the last rain, which was a little over a week ago. I just thought it was weird that a scrape would be worked at all this late in the year. I'm planning to go ahead and hang a tree stand in there too for next deer season pretty soon.

Comment

Looks great and Good Luck. Post some dead pig pictures soon!!

Comment

Been trying to stick some hogs myself. Good luck to you.

Comment

Good looking spot.

Comment

Good lookin spot Ryan! Hope ya get em all On the scrape thing, they'll work a scrape till their antlers drop, at the very least, and anytime in between when they're feeling frisky. Just cuz the does "ain't having it" doesn't mean they ain't trying! I haven't verified a buck making a scrape between bout late March to August, but it wouldn't surprise me abit. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
                              Good lookin spot Ryan! Hope ya get em all On the scrape thing, they'll work a scrape till their antlers drop, at the very least, and anytime in between when they're feeling frisky. Just cuz the does "ain't having it" doesn't mean they ain't trying! I haven't verified a buck making a scrape between bout late March to August, but it wouldn't surprise me abit. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                              Makes sense. This is in the area where those bucks I sent you the pics of were coming from...and the one I ended up killing I'd never gotten a pic of. So I should have some good ones next year!!

Comment

Working...
                              X