setting up new bow..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

setting up new bow..

i just got my sage samick in and wanting to get to practicing with it.. couple questions though.. in yalls opinion is it better to shoot a rest that you stick on your riser or shoot shoot the bear hair (or something im leaving out)??? also i understand you have to shoot the actual feathers but carbon or aluminum or just what you prefer???? do you just use a square off your riser/rest to set up your nock point??? and last can anyone recommend a good place to get lessons in the ft worth area (keller) or i travel to temple (belton) from time to time.. thanks in advance for yalls opinions..

Originally posted by randal View Post
    i just got my sage samick in and wanting to get to practicing with it.. couple questions though.. in yalls opinion is it better to shoot a rest that you stick on your riser or shoot shoot the bear hair (or something im leaving out)??? also i understand you have to shoot the actual feathers but carbon or aluminum or just what you prefer???? do you just use a square off your riser/rest to set up your nock point??? and last can anyone recommend a good place to get lessons in the ft worth area (keller) or i travel to temple (belton) from time to time.. thanks in advance for yalls opinions..
    Elevated rest or off the shelf is personal preference. It may be a bit easier to tune off an elevated rest but everything is simpler off the shelf.

Carbon, aluminum, or wood is personal preference. Wood can be finicky for a new shooter. Carbon is the most durable and aluminum is the easiest to tune.

Use a bow square to measure nock point and brace height.

One of the DFW guys will have to chime in with info on where you can get help up there. I would strongly advise finding a trad mentor in your area to help you out at first. It will greatly lessen the learning curve.

Good luck and welcome to the fun side!

Bisch

Comment

What pound limbs and what is your draw length?
      Last edited by jerp; 02-28-2013, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Well I have never shot trad but my draw length on my compound is a 30.. When I went looking at recurves 55 didn't feel too bad but I went with a 40 cause I figured I'd have to practice A LOT..

Comment

I think you made a wise choice with the 40# Sage - that is exactly what I started out on and it served me well. Your draw length is among the first variables to consider when building arrows. With the recurve, your draw length will most likely be a couple inches shorter than it was with your compound. It may be different for you (based on your draw length) but what worked for me -drawing that same bow to 28" - is a 500 spine carbon cut to 29.75" with a 125 gr point. I fletched them with 3x4" feathers. I had no intention of hunting with that bow, just wanted a light arrow that was spined properly so it would fly straight. Arrow tuning is a frustrating process especially when you are new to the game because early on, the biggest variable will be your form. As far as a rest, I just stuck on a piece of Velcro (fuzzy side) and trimmed it to fit the shelf. Welcome to the trad side - the first time an arrow goes exactly where you are looking, you will be hooked for life!
          Last edited by jerp; 03-01-2013, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Stan at Smithfield Archery does lessons and is a trad shooter. Between meacham and long on beach st.

Comment

Thanks guys I will go talk to a couple people and talk to Stan about some lessons..

Comment

Working...
              X