Custom gun stock out of a tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom gun stock out of a tree

I don't even know if it's possible but, does anyone know someone who makes stocks out of a log. My mother lost a huge black walnut tree in Hurricane Michael and I thought it would be cool to have a couple of stocks made to commemorate the event.

I'm no help, but I did read once that you can't just cut it in to chunks. It has to be cut with the grain or something.

Comment

Sure you can but you'll need to slab it and dry it properly. You really wont know what the grain/figure will look like until you cut it into slabs. Definitely slab where the trunk divides or where a limb branches from the trunk is to get some crotch figure. It's going to be a lengthy process anyway you cut it. Pun intended.

Here's a piece of a fairly nice of walnut that a friend gave that he had in his attic for about 20 years. He gave it to me with the promise that I use it on a build and that I did.

Last edited by sendit; 10-15-2018, 04:52 PM. Reason: add pic

Comment

It can be done

Comment

Hate to hear she had problems and hope she is O.K.

Rubydog, Ladrones and others on here might have ideas. Even if it does not work out it would be fun to give it a try. I think one thing I have heard or read is sealing the ends of the logs helps with the splitting which will occur. You can get paraffin or Gulf Wax blocks at Publix.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
            Sure you can but you'll need to slab it and dry it properly. You really wont know what the grain/figure will look like until you cut it into slabs. Definitely slab where the trunk divides or where a limb branches from the trunk is to get some crotch figure. It's going to be a lengthy process anyway you cut it. Pun intended.

Here's a piece of a fairly nice of walnut that a friend gave that he had in his attic for about 20 years. He gave it to me with the promise that I use it on a build and that I did.

Pics or it didn’t happen[emoji3]

Comment

Tagged.

Comment

Pic of the build, please. That is a nice slab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
                  Hate to hear she had problems and hope she is O.K.

Rubydog, Ladrones and others on here might have ideas. Even if it does not work out it would be fun to give it a try. I think one thing I have heard or read is sealing the ends of the logs helps with the splitting which will occur. You can get paraffin or Gulf Wax blocks at Publix.

Good luck!
                  They survived. No bodily harm, but a lot of property damage. She has a bunch of old trees (pines, hickory, etc.) and lost most of them. They live in Marianna and the town was hammered pretty bad. It's going to take a pro to clear her place. One guy that came out several years ago told her that the black walnut tree would be worth $25,000 for woodwork and particularly guns stocks. Thats what got me to thinking about it. I will try to get them to cut it into 8-10 foot logs and I can make the slabs or get them done. I just didn't know the possibilities. I think it would be cool to have something nice come from this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate Riley View Post
                    They survived. No bodily harm, but a lot of property damage. She has a bunch of old trees (pines, hickory, etc.) and lost most of them. They live in Marianna and the town was hammered pretty bad. It's going to take a pro to clear her place. One guy that came out several years ago told her that the black walnut tree would be worth $25,000 for woodwork and particularly guns stocks. Thats what got me to thinking about it. I will try to get them to cut it into 8-10 foot logs and I can make the slabs or get them done. I just didn't know the possibilities. I think it would be cool to have something nice come from this.
                    Do some research on gunstock blanks. There.are.different parts of the log to cut the blanks from. Some parts are better than others.

Comment

Here is the finished rifle.

Comment

That looks awesome.

Comment

Pat Hamilton Gunsmithing in Henrietta TX cuts custom stocks. I have one out of a pecan tree that the wind blew down about 25 miles from here that he cut and hooked me up with. 940-538-4687. Call him up and he may be able to help you. You can also look him up on Facebook if you have it.

Comment

Wow! That is about all I can say about that. Did you make it, or have it done? Absolutely stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That is a gorgeous piece of wood. It would have made a beautiful black powder rifle stock to.

Comment

Working...
                              X