No announcement yet.

Realtor Commissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What gets me is the standard 6%, a realtor does nothing extra if your house is selling for 200k or 500k but gets lot more commission. It's still the same paperwork same marketing nothing different. My first wife was a realator so i do have some experience. I don't mind paying for services but why should i pay 30k in commission for not having to do anything special for it.

Comment

I just listed and sold my house and negotiated with the listing realtor down to 1%. So I ended up paying 4% total... saves me over 9k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BertramBass View Post
        Add the 6% fee to the price of the house.
        Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
        Exactly!
        That's not how it works...

Comment

If you have lived in your house any length of time it has appreciated substantially. 6% now days is a whole lot easier to pay than in the lean years.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
            That's not how it works...
            That's how I price my houses.

You can you do it your way...

Comment

Edit: Staying out of it, I hate the realtor bashing threads.

Comment

Why don't the whiners just become realtors since it's such easy $$$$ & get their Lic?? It's free, easy to pass, no annual dues, free health ins, Matching 401K & all other sorts of goodies!! Can't believe there aren't more TBH realtor supporting members!!

Hate these ignorant go get the pitchfork realtor threads.

Comment

My wife was a realtor for years and even she would agree it was easy money!!! Not bashing realtors but with social media now it’s way easier to do the same thing they are capable of. Now we have sold our last two houses ourselves with her experience and saved a boatload of cash.

Comment

I don’t care what industry we are talking about here. You can either DIY or hire a professional. If you think you can do it as good as the one who spends 40-60 hours a week doing it, knock yourself out. I pick n choose my DIY projects. Some I’ve handled, and some I needed a professional to bail me out. Usually because they know the things I don’t know. That’s why they are the pros. Your not paying for their time. Your paying for their knowledge.

Comment

I have bought a couple properties and sold one. I used realtors each time but cant honestly tell you what they did other than:
                      1. List the property
                      2. Let us in a house
                      3. Set up the title company

Most of my friends search Zillow/Realtor/whatever on their own and show houses to the Realtor that they want to see. This aint the old days of a published list that looked like a newspaper.

Also the 6% rule is nuts...its almost like the 3 months salary for an engagement ring theory.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Remember you get what you pay for as well when you’re shopping around for the cheapest.
                        But with a realtor, you really don't. That's the problem. Chitty realtors cost 3%. Incredible realtors cost 3%.

You usually find out which one you had in hindsight.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                          But with a realtor, you really don't. That's the problem. Chitty realtors cost 3%. Incredible realtors cost 3%.

You usually find out which one you had in hindsight.
                          Homework. Referrals. Ask questions. Lots of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            Why don't the whiners just become realtors since it's such easy $$$$ & get their Lic?? It's free, easy to pass, no annual dues, free health ins, Matching 401K & all other sorts of goodies!! Can't believe there aren't more TBH realtor supporting members!!

Hate these ignorant go get the pitchfork realtor threads.
                            LOL Who's the whiner???

Don't like the thread, don't open it and post. Simple. Just like I don't open the high fence or Christianity threads...

Comment

Some see the value of hiring a Realtor, some don't. Keep in mind that 6% is usually split, 3 and 3. Knock out about 25-30% for taxes, some for various association dues, marketing/advertising, photography, sponsorships, fuel (ranch guys can burn a lot of fuel!), equipment upkeep, a little for retirement, insurance on everything, health insurance, ECT, ECT. It costs a lot to do what we do. It can be a high-risk-high-reward deal for sure. Oh ya, and when we take on a seller or buyer as a client, we do everything in the HOPES of getting paid...it's not guaranteed. How many of y'all are willing to work for someone for months and risk not getting paid a dime, and worse--actually losing $$?

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                                What gets me is the standard 6%, a realtor does nothing extra if your house is selling for 200k or 500k but gets lot more commission. It's still the same paperwork same marketing nothing different. My first wife was a realator so i do have some experience. I don't mind paying for services but why should i pay 30k in commission for not having to do anything special for it.

There is no “standard” in real estate commissions. It is all negotiable. However, like some mentioned above, you get what you pay for. A realtor that will agree to a greatly reduced percentage on a small overall price is probably inexperienced and may actually cost you money during the transaction. Always look for someone who has completed recent deals in the area, deals with the type of product you are selling, buying, leasing etc, and that can add value to Home or property through improvement suggestions, marketing, or other creative ways. It’s not all about throwing something online either...you want someone that can provide the data for comps to the appraiser, navigate request for price reductions, and bad inspections to name a few. Plus...when you really know how to use a realtor to handle things you can blame bad experiences on them and come out smelling like roses at the closing table.

Comment

Working...
                                X