Pronghorn Judging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pronghorn Judging

Any pointers on judging pronghorn size? Or recommendations of website, etc related to that?

2.5 times the ear length before you even think about it.

Comment

I am not promoting B&C club but I found this when I was going to go before I got sick.

The major features that make up a B&C score for a pronghorn: C - Length of Horn, D - circumferences,

Comment

Try getting your hands on a copy of Mike Eastman’s book “Hunting Trophy Antelope.” In my experience the biggest thing is to make sure you are accounting for prong length and mass. On my last hunt the tallest horns taken scored the lowest in our group.

Comment

I learned to not get excited until the guide does.

Then you'll see why.

Comment

2 times ears and look for good cutters. If you’re in a good spot you will have the opportunity to look at several bucks and can start to see the difference. I’ve only done mine with a bow and shot a P&Y goat, but only got there because his cutters were high so the 3rd mass measurement went through part of the cutter.

Good curls will also sneak the score up there with extra length, it may look like a 13” goat, but be 15-16” by the time it’s measured all the way to the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
              2.5 times the ear length before you even think about it.
              In general absolutely but I have a 77” goat that’s only 12.5 long. Ultra heavy

Comment

I just got back from elk hunting and took this picture of a pronghorn, I thought maybe it could help in this discussion. Shooter or no? Looks to only be 2-2 1/2 ear length.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                  I just got back from elk hunting and took this picture of a pronghorn, I thought maybe it could help in this discussion. Shooter or no? Looks to only be 2-2 1/2 ear length.
                  No, first thing I look at is the prong above the ear, then I add ears length then try to gauge horn width compared to eye socket.

That pronghorns in the low 50’s

Comment

My guide said this was the best one he’d seen in years. Pinedale, Wyoming

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post

My guide said this was the best one he’d seen in years. Pinedale, Wyoming
                      That's what the guides always say!

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                        That's what the guides always say!

Gotta make a living somehow [emoji23]

Comment

I have looked at hundreds and hundreds and still have a hard time....

But when you see a big one you will know.

Texas pronghorn?

Comment

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post
                            I have looked at hundreds and hundreds and still have a hard time....

But when you see a big one you will know.

Texas pronghorn?
                            Yes sir West Texas

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                              Yes sir West Texas
                              I will post some pictures up of a couple of goats I have taken pictures of last few weeks (Hudspeth County) if ya want later today to give you a size reference.

Comment

Working...
                              X