Home AC condensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home AC condensation

I got a brand new 4 ton a little over a month ago. My drain for it on the outside catches 5 gallons a day of condensation. Is that normal? Ive been using the water for plants and trees. Is the water the same and rain water? It runs on 410 if that matters.

Thanks,

Mike

depends on if that is the primary or secondary drain. I'd say its probably the secondary drain (at least thats how we do it) and your primary drain for your AC is clogged up forcing the water to run out the drain hanging out your house. It's not bad but it can cause problems in the future. Also as far as I know, it wont hurt trees or plants.

Comment

I would say 5 gallons could be normal. But as said above if it is the secondary drain, the primary is clogged.

Comment

Where would the primary drain go to?

Comment

Mine ties into bathroom sink. Check under your sinks to see if you see a line tying in above p-trap

Comment

The primary drain would be tied into some other drain. Just depends on the contractor. it'll be tied into a stack somewhere. Sometimes its a drain for a bathtub, or a drain for washer machines. just depends

Comment

Should be able to see water building inside secondary pan

Comment

Depends on how your a/c was installed. You may only have one drain. Secondary will usually come off a drain pan that is mounted under the unit.

Comment

Found mine was clogged last night when water started dripping through my kitchen ceiling. I was not a happy camper.

Comment

I know that a float was installed on the pan to shut it off if clogged to prevent flooding the attic.

Comment

Yeah ceiling damage isn’t a good thing at all...float switches exist for a reason and I wish more people used them

Comment

Op, are you concerned that it is too much water or not enough?

Ac units draw out a lot of water. Depending on your house and where you are, 5-15 gallons per day is not abnormal.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                          Op, are you concerned that it is too much water or not enough?

Ac units draw out a lot of water. Depending on your house and where you are, 5-15 gallons per day is not abnormal.
                          I thought it was too much, my old didn't drain that much. I don't think, they may have switched the way it drains.

Comment

Approved drains to tap into are: sinks, before the trap, bathtub, before the trap, washing machine, before the trap (seeing a pattern here). Cannot tie it in sewer lines straight. Must be before a trap that will stay primed. if not, sewer gasses can be drawn into your house. We used to use a chimney pipe buried and full of gravel, a french drain. Don't think they are legal anymore. Still see quite a few just ran outside into flower beds though.

Comment

Use it for your plants, it is the best they can get. Much better than tap water.

Comment

Working...
                              X