Moped restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moped restore

I have a 1979 Yamaha QT50 moped. I think they called them Yamahoppers. I bought from my grandfather in 1992/93. I rode for a year or two around campus at ACU. I just got it back from a friend's barn and I'd like to do a complete tear down and restoration.

I'm not a mechanic but have some mechanical skill and can figure stuff out. I also found a website that has a shop manual for it.

For those of you who do this with cars or motorcycles, is there an order to tearing it down? Should I bag and label everything?
    Attached Files

Take lots of pictures and ziplock and label anything you take apart. I also use blue painters tape to label each bolt on anything that has different length bolts so that I get them back in the right spot.
    In addition to that I would spray down any and all bolts/screws with a good penetrating spray to make it go easier.. do this any time you can even if it will be be several days before you will get back to messing with it.
    Good luck!

Comment

Thanks. I got the penetrating spray going already.

Comment

Had a ole 79 QT50 myself, back in college. Pretty fun little rig. Lots of good info out there on the internet about them.

Rode it 11 miles out to the strip in lubbock one time. Pretty excellent journey. Topped out right around 31 mph per Garmin GPS.

Comment

Originally posted by ttubudd View Post
          Had a ole 79 QT50 myself, back in college. Pretty fun little rig. Lots of good info out there on the internet about them.

Rode it 11 miles out to the strip in lubbock one time. Pretty excellent journey. Topped out right around 31 mph per Garmin GPS.

Oh...The Strip. The good ol' days... I miss Lubbock.

Comment

I restore old Yamaha's (1968 - 1974 Enduro and MC type bikes ). Go to Wally World and buy plastic food storage bowls with lids for the small stuff and larger plastic tubs for the bigger stuff. It helps keep everything organized. Simple Green and Metal Rescue are your friend in restorations. If your going to rebuild the motor and need internal parts I have a good list of resources. Also have chrome and hard chrome plating resources as well. Have fun with it and post pics of your progress. I love seeing old restored to new!
            Attached Files

Comment

Good stuff, thanks guys.

Comment

This is going to be a cool project. Looking forward to pics.

Comment

Been breaking it down. Got the air filter housing off and opened it up to find it full of dirt dauber nests.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great projects! Looking forward to doing one myself.

Comment

Got pretty much all throttle, choke, and brake cables and electrical out. Got the front tire off, got the fuel tank off and removed the frame from engine. Carburetor and fuel line were clogged. I've stripped a few rusted screws so I'll have to figure out how to get them out...even with the PB Blaster spray. More Dirt Dauber nests under fuel tank, inside headlight and inside the frame where the cables and wires go through.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice project...keeps the pics coming!!!

Comment

Everything is pretty much broken down now except the handlebars/forks from the frame. I don't have the tool for it. If the cost isn't too much I wanna get this thing sandblasted and powder coated. The inside of the frame needs attention too as it was full of dirt dauber nests and rust.

Besides paint top priority to get the thing up & running is:
                          1.Engine - rebuild or clean, new fuel and oil lines
                          2. New throttle, choke and brake cables
                          3. New electrical wires.
                          4. New tires/tubes
                          5. Brake pads
                          6. Carb clean & new air filter
                          7. Battery
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looking good so far. I heard mopeds are like fat chicks.....fun to ride, but you don't wanna get caught on one.

Comment

Tuned in. I have a 1973 50 cc Indian that I've had since I was 5. Would love to do a restore on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X