Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
NannySlayer
Ten Point

Default I never knew how much a funeral cost...

I'm about to get real with y'all for a minute. Bare with me...

I never knew how much a funeral cost until April of 2016 when my brother shot and killed himself. Intentionally.
I was the last person he texted.
Last person he talked to on the phone.
I was one of the only people in his life that knew he was suffering from depression.
He died 39 years young.

My story starts with.. March of 2016 I was hired as a the first female firefighter paramedic for a city. When the news hit that I was the first chick on April 5th it went viral, national news, magazines, cameras following me on scenes and patients homes, and I was recognized everywhere I went. I know y'all posted up a thread congratulating me. Thank you so much for the support. Little did I know just days later that my brother would kill himself. April 11th.
I knew Tony was suffering because he reached out to me. He told me just weeks before that he wanted to die. I did as much motivating as I could to keep him going thru texts and phone calls. Until 5 minutes before he pulled the trigger, he said "I love you."

He timed his gun shot with the church bells of the parking lot he was sitting in.

I was able to fly to South Carolina and be with my family. My parents were financially strapped due to taking care of my sister who had brain cancer.
So, I stepped up and paid for a lot of the service costs. My parents covered the cremation but I never knew how much a funeral really did cost. The flight there, the bulletins, the production, the arrangements... When I got back home my bank account was depleted.

I made the decision to sell my bow and all of my bow hunting equipment. This was a hard decision for me to make but its something I had to do to get by. I didn't have a deer lease and being a new rookie at the FD stressed me out so much I didn't have time anyways.

Boy did I miss it. I still do. Everyday. I regret selling my set up. All my arrows, favorite release, Rages.. It's like every memory with that bow went along with it and it is still heartbreaking to me.

The next 6 months or so rocked me solid. I'd lay in bed all day long and not understand why.. I'd try and chalk it up as a rough shift and Chris tried to hold things together. Until... we separated. I didn't know why at the time. I look back now and know that it was depression driven and he wasn't able to handle it.. Wasn't educated on how to handle it.. Neither was I. We filed for divorce in January and it was over in March.

So with the stress of new chick FF, Tony killing himself, separation leading to divorce, and now I'm a single Mom in less than a years time frame..
2 months later my sister was re-diagnosed with brain cancer.
I couldn't believe it.

Work became so overwhelming throughout the next year. I took a 3 month leave of absence and it stressed me out the thought of going back. Being the first female at a small city was a challenge I couldn't handle along with everything else that had happened. My only escape was fishing.. because I couldn't hunt anymore. But, that didn't happen near enough.

March 9th 2018, I changed fire departments and it was one of the absolute biggest blessings of my life over the past couple of years. It's been a complete game changer for me. I love where I'm at and it brings so much peace to me.

Until.... May 31st 2018 my sister, Jessica, passed away from brain cancer.
She died 39 years young.
My son and I flew back to South Carolina and helped my parents with the service costs. I never thought I'd live my life without my brother and sister. I'm typing this out with tears in my eyes because I'm still rocked solid.
To this day, I feel like I'll never get back on my feet.

Anyways, long story long..
Some of y'all know I took a few years hiatus from TBH. I'd check in from time to time but never said anything until a few months ago. I missed it. I missed the folks I talked to. I missed the camaraderie. And I'm happy to be back.

The past few weeks have put a lump in my throat watching all of y'all gear up, ready to head out this weekend. I miss my bow and slinging sticks for some therapy.. There is no way I could afford buying a bow anytime soon.

Today, when I opened TBH, the first "new post" I saw on my phone was from Jaker_cc "Free Bow to First Responder or Military"
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=707589

It was one of those "Yes Please and Thank You God" moments that you receive every once in a while. I contacted Jake right away and he said it was mine. I pray it fits. If it doesn't, I'll be passing it forward but, God, please, I pray it fits.
I don't even have it in my hands yet but I'm so emotional about this opportunity, I had to share it with you guys.

I plan on going by Cinnamon Creek Ranch to see about getting it tweaked for me... and maybe then I'll be able to buy a release and arrow or two to practice out back.

This.. this guys... rocked me solid.. but thankfully in a good way.

Thank you TBH and THANK YOU Jaker_cc

God bless you all and your deer season.
NannySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Let me know if it fits. If it does let me know and Iíll PayPal you $ for a dozen arrows for it.

Praying for you and I hope itís all up from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
NannySlayer
Ten Point

Rest In Peace Tony and Jessica
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
AWnNETX
Four Point

Hunt In: Lamar Co., Red River Co., Trinity Co.

My wife has a couple extra Scott wrist strap style releases. PM me your address and one will be coming your way. Just be sure to post pics when you kill a deer!!
AWnNETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Sorry to hear about the hardships these past few years. But hang tough and it'll all work out for you. It always does. I'm pretty sure I've got some arrows and I know I have a release I'd be more than happy to give you. Nothing wrong with either, but the arrows are just extras laying around and the release I never did care for. It's a thumb release and I just couldn't get used to it. Pm me your address and i'll see that they get sent your way this week. Hang in there and keep your head up, you're kid depends on it!
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
cwbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Stay strong! God has this!
cwbow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
jaker_cc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb Ct., Karnes Ct.

I'm sending arrows and a release to you with the bow. I don't have an extra sight or I'd send that too. I'm glad you're back on tbh and I'm sorry about this rough patch. Hopefully everything takes a turn for the much better.
jaker_cc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
tgil
Pope & Young

Love ya Sista! Hang in there!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tgil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
NannySlayer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWnNETX View Post
My wife has a couple extra Scott wrist strap style releases. PM me your address and one will be coming your way. Just be sure to post pics when you kill a deer!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BURTONboy View Post
Sorry to hear about the hardships these past few years. But hang tough and it'll all work out for you. It always does. I'm pretty sure I've got some arrows and I know I have a release I'd be more than happy to give you. Nothing wrong with either, but the arrows are just extras laying around and the release I never did care for. It's a thumb release and I just couldn't get used to it. Pm me your address and i'll see that they get sent your way this week. Hang in there and keep your head up, you're kid depends on it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker_cc View Post
I'm sending arrows and a release to you with the bow. I don't have an extra sight or I'd send that too. I'm glad you're back on tbh and I'm sorry about this rough patch. Hopefully everything takes a turn for the much better.

Thank you kindly for the offers but y'all don't have to give up your things. Please don't. That's not what this post was about, y'all. I just simply wanted to share what Jake did and say thank you.
Thank you so much though.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I've got an extra sight. PM me your address and it'll be on the way. Same with a release and a quiver if you need one.

From one South Carolinian/American/Hunter to another, God Bless you and all the crap you've had to deal with over these last few years.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #11
Mr. Whiskers
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

I'm sure I have a sight laying around that I could send you
Mr. Whiskers is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
Duzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wheeler & Hemphill

God bless you all.

Not this cowboy...
Duzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #13
drenalindude
Four Point

I believe I have a trophy ridge single pin sight f I still have it it is yours,just shoot me a pm
drenalindude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #14
Scott72
Four Point

Hunt In: Jasper,Tx

if you need sights let me know..i have some extras
Scott72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #15
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

I think I got some extra broadheads, let me know if you need them.
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #16
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

If that doesn't fit I got a PSE Nova you can have.
denimdeerslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #17
7sdad
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking

What is your arrow length?
7sdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:23 PM   #18
jaker_cc
Ten Point

Man this place is pretty great
Old 10-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #19
Hammerdown
Eight Point

Hunt In: Marquez, Jewett Tx and Kansas

If that bow doesn't work out let me know I have quite a few laying around I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind me making room in her sewing room my hunting gear room.
Hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #20
texaslammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason/East Texas

First off your in my prayers and I appreciate what you do for us. Second off I know your post was not about needing stuff and that you only wanted to show thanks to him for giving the bow which by the way was pretty awesome, But I also have a good scott wrist release that I will send you for free also.

I know he mentioned the draw length was pretty long on that bow, Do you remember at all what your draw length used to be? Because if that bow does not fit you and you want to pay it forward to someone else I would be willing to throw some money in the pot to help get you another bow and I am sure that some other TBH guys would help. My wife shoots a mission craze and its a good little bow with a ton of adjustment .

Keep us posted please and thank you again
texaslammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #21
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

I was wondering what was going on when you dropped off the scene. Someone said you were just taking a break from TBH so I didnt think much more about it. Im so sorry to hear about your brother, sister and your marriage. You are obviously a tough cookie and God puts things in front of us when it is time. I dont think it was by chance that you were the one who was the first to see JakerCC's awesome offer. Im glad you are back in the game and life is looking up for you after all of that bad stuff. The other thing I appreciate is your appreciation for what JakerCC did. I know it means the world to him after hearing all of this. I gave away somewhere between 5-10 bows to veterans and people with kids that needed them here on TBH and never heard a word from any of them. I always wondered how they worked out. I wish I had a place to let you hunt but Im in between places right now.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #22
NannySlayer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslammer View Post
I know he mentioned the draw length was pretty long on that bow, Do you remember at all what your draw length used to be? Because if that bow does not fit you and you want to pay it forward to someone else I would be willing to throw some money in the pot to help get you another bow and I am sure that some other TBH guys would help. My wife shoots a mission craze and its a good little bow with a ton of adjustment .

Thank you.
I used to shoot a Diamond Razor Edge. Max DL is 29" and I had it set at 60lbs.. So, we will see, my dear. We will see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyways. Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #23
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead & Timpson

Prayers your way, you sure have been through alot these past few years. Glad to hear about the bow!!! TBH is the best!
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #24
dmack
Pope & Young

Hunt In: shnf

Glad it is going to someone who will really appreciate it.
dmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #25
jaker_cc
Ten Point

It's in the mail and headed your way. I'm hoping it works out for you ma'am. I believe it was maxed out at 31" so it may go low enough for ya.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:10 PM   #26
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Steph, the rest of whatever you need comes from me, RTP and CCR
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #27
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Pure greatness!
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #28
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Jaker - Monday's often make big withdraws in my "faith in humanity" bank. Thanks for making equal and opposite deposit.
StrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #29
jaker_cc
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayDog View Post
Jaker - Monday's often make big withdraws in my "faith in humanity" bank. Thanks for making equal and opposite deposit.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm thrilled to help. And I'm glad that it's going to someone I know will enjoy it.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #30
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

This gave me a lump in my throat reading it. Way to keep your head up.
If you come up short on anything including camo or accessories Iíve got extras Iíve gotten along the way.
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 05:22 PM   #31
WesTex1
Ten Point

Let me know if there is anything else you need to get it rigged up, I have extra crap laying around I need to get rid of.

Thanks for your service and prayers for you and your family from a fellow first responder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
WesTex1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 05:30 PM   #32
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba
Default I never knew how much a funeral cost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannySlayer View Post
Thank you kindly for the offers but y'all don't have to give up your things. Please don't. That's not what this post was about, y'all. I just simply wanted to share what Jake did and say thank you.

Trust me, I wont miss what im offering up. All pretty well brand just bought and never used. My offer still stands. Only problem on the arrows may be length as im pretty sure theyre cut already.

BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #33
MIHunter
Pope & Young

Prayers sent as I'm tearing up reading your story. PM me with whatever your missing when it all comes in and I'll get you what you need.
MIHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #34
UrbanBuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: DCNF, SHNF, CROCKETT

Nice, best of luck to you.
UrbanBuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #35
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Steph, the rest of whatever you need comes from me, RTP and CCR
Nicely done gents..

Very sorry to hear of your losses, I couldn't imagine what you're going through.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #36
NannySlayer
Ten Point

Thanks for the kind words and offers everyone. XOXO
Old 10-01-2018, 06:24 PM   #37
fishinguy
Four Point

God's timing is amazing. What a perfect time offer for the right person that was in need.

Prayers sent for you and your family.
fishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 06:34 PM   #38
Todd-ty729
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion County and formerly Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannySlayer View Post
Wellllll, you came to the wrong place!

These fellas love an opportunity to help out good people!

You've been missed around here for sure! Keep your head up!
Todd-ty729 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #39
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Welcome back Steph! Good to see you back on the green screen! Glad all is heading in a positive direction.

Well done jaker....well done..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #40
100%TtId
Ten Point

Post up when you plan on going to CCR. I suspect there's a few Cowtown TBHers who would be up for a midseason happy hour.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #41
ABroussard
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

The fine folks of TBH never fail to amaze me. Prayers up for you and your family.
ABroussard is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 06:53 PM   #42
bowhuntvideo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

I have a new package of rages. Pm me an address and I will get them to you.

bowhuntvideo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #43
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

I see some Elite Hunter draw modules for sale over at Archerytalk in various lengths. 31" is really long so you will probably have to have it adjusted but it looks like finding mods shouldn't be too difficult.

Sorry for yours and your family's troubles and welcome back to archery!
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #44
ASBOW
Four Point

Pm me and I will send a target your way.
ASBOW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #45
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction, TX

Sent you a PM NannySlayer
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #46
xman59
Pope & Young

if that bow does not work for any reason, let me know i will give you a New pse surge.. I lost my shop in the Harvey flood, most of the bows survived because they were hanging up high.. i have gotten rid of several of them to friends and old customers but i will not be reopening my shop it is being built into a house because the house was totaled,,, I would be honored to give you a new one,, (I met with you and your grandpa in waco and picked up a marlin from you) having been a leo for 30 years i understand stress ,, you can pm or call if you still have the number, the bow will be shipped quickly if you want it
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #47
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

Welcome back, Steph. Tough times never last...tough folks do.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #48
bownut
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county

Sorry for your loss. This is outstanding what's going on here. God Bless you all
bownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #49
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Good stuff! In our profession it’s easy to get caught up in “a stink” and just blame it on a bad shift or two. I think it’s paramoint in what we do to have some friends or family members that understand what our job entails. Hopefully everything is on the way up for ya!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #50
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
if that bow does not work for any reason, let me know i will give you a New pse surge.. I lost my shop in the Harvey flood, most of the bows survived because they were hanging up high.. i have gotten rid of several of them to friends and old customers but i will not be reopening my shop it is being built into a house because the house was totaled,,, I would be honored to give you a new one,, (I met with you and your grandpa in waco and picked up a marlin from you) having been a leo for 30 years i understand stress ,, you can pm or call if you still have the number, the bow will be shipped quickly if you want it

Good man. Awesome of you as well.

Way to go guys.

Prayers up for you and your family.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top