Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum Acres to Hunt??

Gents,

I am in the process of purchasing a home on about 2 acres, its wooded and backs up to roughly 350 acres and is full of whitetail, can someone provide me with info on the minimum amount of acres you can bow hunt on legally and possibly provide me with the link were you found the info at? I have already researched on TPWD but I could not come across the info I was searching for. Thanks A lot

I know a guy the hunted the back yard of a lady he worked with. Lots of deer and neighborhood with 1ac tracts.

Comment

As far as I know, there is no minimum acreage for bow or gun hunting that is set by the state. Your projectile just cannot leave your property. Check your county or municipal laws for any minimums.

Comment

Legally, I think as long as you arent shooting across property lines, you are good. Now, if you shoot one and it runs to your neighbor's property, legally you are required to obtain permission to cross the property line to retrieve it.

Comment

Hunting no, but there are counties that have rules that prevent you from shooting a firearm in unincorporated parts of the county. Montgomery Cty is one of them. If bowhunting just be careful, that animal can exit 2 acre in a hurry and now you need landowner permission to track.

Comment

Yeah, it's more of an HOA/neighboring landowner issue. You're not likely to keep any deer you shoot on your property. Talk to neighbors and see if any of them care. Do you know who owns the 300 acres? A guy I was talking to at a bow shop shot a nice 8pt on his parent's 10 acre tract and it immediately ran to the neighbor's back yard spewing blood everywhere and died...in the middle of their Christmas party.

That said, I know people that hunt 2 acres. There are too many deer in the area and the neighbors are all cool with it, so it's not an issue.

Comment

Search this site. There are some lengthy threads from when Montgomery county passed their law banning it.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                Yeah, it's more of an HOA/neighboring landowner issue. You're not likely to keep any deer you shoot on your property. Talk to neighbors and see if any of them care. Do you know who owns the 300 acres? A guy I was talking to at a bow shop shot a nice 8pt on his parent's 10 acre tract and it immediately ran to the neighbor's back yard spewing blood everywhere and died...in the middle of their Christmas party.

That said, I know people that hunt 2 acres. There are too many deer in the area and the neighbors are all cool with it, so it's not an issue.
                I’d pay movie theatre prices to see a video of that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                  I’d pay movie theatre prices to see a video of that happening.
                  Me too. So great. He said it narrowly missed their pool which would have been yet another step up in entertainment value.

Comment

The only state law is that a projectile cannot cross a property line without permission from the adjoining landowner. You also have to have permission to track an animal onto neighboring properties. You just have to check your county laws and ordinances to see if they have a set minimum for hunting or discharging of certain firearms.

Comment

this would be in Liberty county, I actually just got off the phone with the local Game Warden, she instated that the state does not have a minimum but liberty county has a 10 acre minimum on firearms and no minimum on bow you just have to get with your neighbors for permission on crossing property lines.

Comment

I dont know about minimum but I have successfully bow hunted 12 acres. Friend of ours lived on 12 acres in Bulverde in a subdivision and was overrun with deer she wanted culled. I was happy to oblige and the neighbors were none the wiser. Gave her some processed meats and she let me hunt for free. It was a great arrangement

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I see you have an answer. I just have a comment. I had my son catch a bunch of grief hunting very small acreage and shot a doe. This was at the Bar X near West Columbia. We were hunting my cousins back yard. The doe ran straight over and died about 6 feet from the neighbors back porch. They were tree huggers and were sitting there drinking their morning coffee. Needless to say we had the game warded called on us, and initially they refused to allow us to get the doe. They finally let us retrieve it once the game warden told us it was perfectly legal to hunt where we were hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
                            I see you have an answer. I just have a comment. I had my son catch a bunch of grief hunting very small acreage and shot a doe. This was at the Bar X near West Columbia. We were hunting my cousins back yard. The doe ran straight over and died about 6 feet from the neighbors back porch. They were tree huggers and were sitting there drinking their morning coffee. Needless to say we had the game warded called on us, and initially they refused to allow us to get the doe. They finally let us retrieve it once the game warden told us it was perfectly legal to hunt where we were hunting.
                            Hopefully they got educated. I had a teacher tell our class years Bach that all bobcats and deer are protected and can’t be hunted. When I corrected her she said “well they should be.”

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
                              This was awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X