Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
AHF
Four Point

Hunt In: LAMPAZOS N.L.
Default Decent monthly income.

I am a Mexican citizen living in the city of Monterrey, I have a professional title of electrical engineer with my own business and living in a comfortable way here in my city.

The last months I had in mind the fact of moving to the United States, specifically to Texas because I have relatives who are American citizens living there, for reasons of tranquility and a little more security for my family.

Obviously, my change of residence would be legal and comply with the observations that the law of Texas and the United States requires me.

One of the questions that comes to mind is how much monthly income is taken care of to live in a comfortable way, not thinking about luxuries but living in a quiet and relatively safe place? Considering me, my wife, a 3-year-old girl and another baby who is about to be born next year.

Thanks to God here in Mexico I have rental properties, plus the product of my business, that allow me to live in a comfortable way and fortunately I do not have any debt, obviously the peso is not worth the same as the American dollar and what makes me here Living well there may not be enough.

Thanks in advance.
AHF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
Tall Tex
Six Point

Hunt In: Weimar,TX

This can vary so much on where you want to live. Could your be more specific to an area. Big difference between woodlands and magnolia where I’m at for example
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
AHF
Four Point

Katy / Houston... there is where my sister live.

My brother had a house in woodlands, that area definitely out of my budget.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

Any kids? Wife? Wife going to work?
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
AHF
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
Any kids? Wife? Wife going to work?
3 years old girl an a baby on the way for next year, my wife could also work, she has a degree as a public accountant.

We both are 39 years old.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
refugioco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio County

If you are able to perform the job, I would guess a 4000 a month as a salary. I am sure others will chime in, but that is my guess. Good luck!
refugioco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #7
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugioco View Post
If you are able to perform the job, I would guess a 4000 a month as a salary. I am sure others will chime in, but that is my guess. Good luck!
I’d say the bottom of the threshold would be $4000/month and $6000/month for the household being a safer bet in the greater Houston area
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
JhuntsAlot
Four Point

Hunt In: Houston County, Kendall County, where friends are.

It’s all about how you live and how good you are at budgeting for what you are making.

I can remember a time that my wife and I made a lot less and wonder how we even did it.

I know faith in God helped us a huge amount and we always made it works, even with 3 kids.

Get the best salary you can and work with that. And always be looking for the next better thing.

j
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #9
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Might help if you defined comfortable.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
Tbar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
I am a Mexican citizen living in the city of Monterrey, I have a professional title of electrical engineer with my own business and living in a comfortable way here in my city.

The last months I had in mind the fact of moving to the United States, specifically to Texas because I have relatives who are American citizens living there, for reasons of tranquility and a little more security for my family.

Obviously, my change of residence would be legal and comply with the observations that the law of Texas and the United States requires me.

One of the questions that comes to mind is how much monthly income is taken care of to live in a comfortable way, not thinking about luxuries but living in a quiet and relatively safe place? Considering me, my wife, a 3-year-old girl and another baby who is about to be born next year.

Thanks to God here in Mexico I have rental properties, plus the product of my business, that allow me to live in a comfortable way and fortunately I do not have any debt, obviously the peso is not worth the same as the American dollar and what makes me here Living well there may not be enough.

Thanks in advance.
Your starting points are getting legal to work here and getting your license to work in the electrical profession. I'm thinking $50-$60k.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #11
deerplanter
Ten Point

If you have an electrical engineer degree you can make a very good living working for a plant.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #12
brysdad
Ten Point

As others have said, area depends on how far the salary will go. On the same salary, some places you may live poor while you could live like a king in others on the same wage. Good luck to you whatever you decide. I can’t speak on Houston but the Austin area is really hopping jobs wise right now.
brysdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #13
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerplanter View Post
If you have an electrical engineer degree you can make a very good living working for a plant.

Agreed^ my cousin is an electrical engineer. 24 and makes a killing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #14
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerplanter View Post
Or even at an engineering contractor firm. Spanish speaking EEs are in demand in Houston for Latin Cone projects.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #15
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

New hire EE’s fresh out of college can pull $65,000 year or better. First thing I would do if I were you is work on getting your Texas Engineering liscense - you can do this before starting any legal process to move to the US. If you have a PE behind your name it will increase your odds of getting a good job.
StrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #16
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho, Val Verde

I have to imagine that if you follow the correct paths you can live very comfortably wherever you want if you and your wife are both working in your respective fields.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #17
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugioco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
Id say the bottom of the threshold would be $4000/month and $6000/month for the household being a safer bet in the greater Houston area
Are yall talking gross or net?
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #18
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Old Mexico
Thumbs up

Do you have your PE? I am assuming so since you own an engineering firm.

If so, I would anticipate you could make 100k+ if you went to work for a engineering consulting firm given your background.

That equates to 8k+ a month. You could find a nice home in good schools, and still love somewhat comfortably on that income. Plenty of nice areas with houses between 150-275k in Houston near good schools.

Good luck!
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #19
HighCountry
Eight Point

Hunt In: Southern Illinois

I am not saying this to be mean, but wouldn't your sister be able answer this question?
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #20
AHF
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post
Might help if you defined comfortable.
In general We Do live in a middle class neighborhood, we are capable to pay for a private schools, private medical care and dont have a debt for cars or house.
(I know in the US financially is better to have a loan in a car or a house)

We are able to save great part of our income because we try to live without unnecessary expenses.

Last edited by AHF; 08-16-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #21
AHF
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountry View Post
I am not saying this to be mean, but wouldn't your sister be able answer this question?
Dont worry, she already answer this to me but Im just trying to get more opinions about this.

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #22
AHF
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas shag View Post
Do you have your PE? I am assuming so since you own an engineering firm.

If so, I would anticipate you could make 100k+ if you went to work for a engineering consulting firm given your background.

That equates to 8k+ a month. You could find a nice home in good schools, and still love somewhat comfortably on that income. Plenty of nice areas with houses between 150-275k in Houston near good schools.

Good luck!

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a PE?

I do have a profesional Tittle (that is how we called it in Mexico) a degree given by a university recognized by the Mexican Goverment and some certifications about electrical engineery, one of that certifications is given by The Association of energy engineers located in Atlanta Ga (Certified Power Quality)
Old 08-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #23
AHF
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayDog View Post
New hire EEs fresh out of college can pull $65,000 year or better. First thing I would do if I were you is work on getting your Texas Engineering liscense - you can do this before starting any legal process to move to the US. If you have a PE behind your name it will increase your odds of getting a good job.
Excellent advise Sr...

Thanks a lot
Old 08-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #24
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

In the US an engineer is licensed in each state. Not all jobs require a license but there are laws that, in certain situations, only licensed engineers can “stamp” or approve documents.

To become licensed you have to meet certain education and experience requirements, pass some exams, and complete an application process.

Here’s the website for the Texas Board of Professional Engineers which gives info on licensing in Texas. https://engineers.texas.gov
StrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #25
Twist
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance but what is a PE?

I do have a profesional Tittle (that is how we called it in Mexico) a degree given by a university recognized by the Mexican Goverment and some certifications about electrical engineery, one of that certifications is given by The Association of energy engineers located in Atlanta Ga (Certified Power Quality)
Engineering License, Professional Engineer specifically I'm believing is what he meant.

I'm not sure how that would carry over from Mexico to the States but it could hold some benefit, or at least jump start you on the path to it here.

In regards to the area you mentioned, specifically Katy, check out surrounding areas such as Fulshear and Hockley. You can find some more rural-ish stuff for the time being that might not come with the sticker shock of some of the more highly developed locations.
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #26
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

PE = Professional Engineer. To aquire this you need to be degreed by an acredited university. You need to take your Engineer in Training (EIT used to be called FE for Fundamentals of Engineering) exam first. Then you are required to work under a licensed PE for 5 years before you are allowed to take the PE exam. Or that was the process several years ago. I worked mainly in electronics and many employers didn't want a PE so I never pursued it.

I am an EE but I currently work as a general engineer, not electrical. I started out in Pennsylvania at $57k right out of college in 2013; I went back as an adult. I am not going to share my current salary, but know it is higher than I started and what was mentioned in other posts in this thread.

Good luck!

Last edited by stickbowcoop; 08-16-2018 at 10:48 PM.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #27
BowOnly81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF and Trinity Co.

When I used to make $60k, I brought home 4k a month and my wife brought home $2500. We lived pretty comfortably. I think 7-8k bring home is pretty comfortable for most families. I know other couples that bring home 15k a month and they’re comfortable too. Like mentioned earlier, it’s all about how you like to live.
BowOnly81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 11:47 PM   #28
AHF
Four Point

I have developed my professional career as an electrical contractor working for industry, banking, commerce and a television station here in Mexico, always backed by the degree of engineering obtained from a Mexican university.

If I ever moved to Texas I would look to work in that same line, I understand that for that I would only need a contractor's license granted by the State of Texas, is that correct?
Old 08-17-2018, 12:00 AM   #29
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Sounds like you have a sweet setup in Mexico, why leave? After moving family, getting proper training, etc, don’t see this as a plus for you.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2018, 12:08 AM   #30
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Decent monthly income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowOnly81 View Post
When I used to make $60k, I brought home 4k a month and my wife brought home $2500. We lived pretty comfortably. I think 7-8k bring home is pretty comfortable for most families. I know other couples that bring home 15k a month and theyre comfortable too. Like mentioned earlier, its all about how you like to live.

I never felt comfortable when my wife and I both made around 65k without kids 12 to 13 years ago. I was 25 at the time and probably spent too much money on stupid things and never had more than 5k in savings. One AC unit going out meant using a credit card to make repairs. Comfort level can mean different things to different folks.

Last edited by Black Ice; 08-17-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #31
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I think 5-6k a month would the least you could live comfortably off of if your wife doesn't work. As an electrical engineer with experience I don't think you should have a problem getting that salary or more as long as you can get an employer to endorse your visa.

Good luck and I hope you make it. Well educated and polite people like yourself is what we need here in America. Welcome!
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #32
AHF
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
Sounds like you have a sweet setup in Mexico, why leave? After moving family, getting proper training, etc, dont see this as a plus for you.
In General we do live well here in Monterrey, On the other hand, living in a first world country is something I can not ignore for all the opportunities that mean for my family.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #33
AHF
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSmasher View Post
I think 5-6k a month would the least you could live comfortably off of if your wife doesn't work. As an electrical engineer with experience I don't think you should have a problem getting that salary or more as long as you can get an employer to endorse your visa.

Good luck and I hope you make it. Well educated and polite people like yourself is what we need here in America. Welcome!

Thank you

That is the idea if one day we move to Texas, try to bring some positive aspect to the society in which we would live.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #34
Paycheck
Four Point

Come and be welcome
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2018, 07:33 AM   #35
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
If I ever moved to Texas I would look to work in that same line, I understand that for that I would only need a contractor's license granted by the State of Texas, is that correct?
If you are doing electrical design work for anything that has to meet building code, you will need to stamp them: this means you need a professional engineering license.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #36
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

Quote:
I have developed my professional career as an electrical contractor working for industry, banking, commerce and a television station here in Mexico, always backed by the degree of engineering obtained from a Mexican university.

If you plan on doing electrical work you need a contractor license. You also need a Texas master electrician license (or employ someone with that license). Do you wish to design or perform, or both?
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #37
AHF
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWood View Post
If you plan on doing electrical work you need a contractor license. You also need a Texas master electrician license (or employ someone with that license). Do you wish to design or perform, or both?

I do design, but lean more towards to execute the project.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #38
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
I never felt comfortable when my wife and I both made around 65k without kids 12 to 13 years ago. I was 25 at the time and probably spent too much money on stupid things and never had more than 5k in savings. One AC unit going out meant using a credit card to make repairs. Comfort level can mean different things to different folks.

You were living way above your means if 2 adults couldn't easily make it on a combined $130k.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top