Lower Rio Grande NWR east lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower Rio Grande NWR east lake

Hey ya'll, son is on a roll this year and drew for east lake section of the nwr. Any one been out there before? Just lookin for advice on what we should bring,sit or spot/stalk,etc. Ive been going through older posts and reports but mostly on teniente. Be nice to hear some pointers for east lake. Thanks again!

Grandson also drawn. I also have never been.
    Would greatly appreciate some kind of help.
    Thanks. Old Arrow

Comment

Saw an old post of lower rio grande valley nwr in 2010, maybe it will help. Hope your son has great luck, maybe I'll run into you. If you need some help getting one out. Let me know. Glad to help.

Comment

East Lake Youth Hunt

Bring Snake protection, Full leg if possible for the young man. The place is infested by rattle snakes and there are lots of cacti hidden in the tall grass and and the snake chaps sure would help to prevent a Stick by them. I would not do Spot and Stalk, the brush is to thick and you dont want to end up in someones cross hairs plus it is not very smart to disturb someone else hunt. Be ready to spend the day out there as the only parking area is on the main gate and you will have to walk from there, a lot more walking will be needed if you want to get away from the crowd as most of the hunters will set up close to the main gate. so bring lots of water and snacks to take with you as it will be lots of walking if you want to get back to the vehicle for lunch.... Ticks and mosquitos will be the biggest issues like most of the years... Some hunts have been a total failure due to mosquitos as all hunters and parents have decided that it is not worth the truble to walk so much and take the punishisment from the bugs. Lets hope that this year is not like most of the other years. Game carts are great. so think of a way to bring out a kill if you dont have one, I used to work for the refuge so I have of info to share....

Comment

Thanks Old Arrow,what date did yall get?

Thanks Bow Bandit, pm sent.

Comment

Also got drawn for East Lake

My son also got picked to hunt Lower Rio Grande.
            Our dates are 11/10-11/12
            I've been looking all over for anyone with info or tips about hunting this NWR.
            What are your dates fishxbones?

Comment

We got Dec 15-17

Comment

My boy killed a nilgai and buck on same hunt last year. My recommendation is to get there a day early and scope out the place. We found 3 potential places to hunt and only hunted the one hunt. We rode bikes with a cart. I would start working out now to make sure your in good shape. Took about 5 hours to quarter them both up and get them about 2 miles back to the truck. I was hurting the next day. Luckily it was 28 degrees that morning. Bring extra tubes, patches, and an air pump.... you will need them. There was no one there with the refuge to greet us and never saw any officials. I will never forget that hunt!

Comment

Thanks for the info Chad! Unfortunately I cant get there until prob 5pm or so the day before the hunt. We are bringing bikes and a trailer as well. Plan on trying to get a couple hrs scouting in that thursday evening and go from there. Looked at the map and some topo and have some rough ideas. We're both excited for sure! Hopefully its that cold or at least cool while we're there.

Comment

well since I'm a new member I cant send any PM's yet. I was curious chad where did yall stay while yall were down there last year? and do you about know how many hunters where down there on that tract? and FISHXBONES any tips I have after the hunt ill send your way.

Comment

Much appreciated quacksmacker!

Comment

We rented a house off of VRBO on delta lake since I brought my wife, mother and law and smaller kids. (They went to visit family in the area) I think they give 10 permits out for this hunt. I didn't see anyone close to where we were. Most people where close to the parking lot.

Comment

Last question Chad do we use our tags if we kill something or are tags given out?

Comment

We use our tags quack

Comment

Working...
                            X