Bow only Public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow only Public land

Not looking for anybodies specific go to spot just looking for one of the locations other people have had success at. Also, I am new to public land hunting, what do I need apart from what is needed for private land hunting. Also, I watched a few videos where people accessed spots by a kayak/canoe with a trolling motor. Can you use a duck boat with a real motor to access a spot or is this not allowed. Thanks in advance for any info.

Would help if you mention area that you are located...Dallas, Houston, southwest...etc
    Texas has some good public lands, it the hunters that cam be arse at times( not trying to scare ya, just the truth). I bowhunt Sam Houston which has archery only area with some good success. You will have to do homework on other areas where you live

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunt public mainly.what u need that is not posted,head to toe orange ,hat,vest.your type 2 license.Any other rules will be posted for that area at entry points on bulletin board.

Comment

Originally posted by tiberiuswade View Post
        Would help if you mention area that you are located...Dallas, Houston, southwest...etc
        Texas has some good public lands, it the hunters that cam be arse at times( not trying to scare ya, just the truth). I bowhunt Sam Houston which has archery only area with some good success. You will have to do homework on other areas where you live

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
        Looking for with 2-3 hour drive from Houston and thank ya

Comment

Sam Houston is HUGE. It will take a ton of scouting to figure it out.
          Here is a link to the Public Hunting Lands book.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
            Sam Houston is HUGE. It will take a ton of scouting to figure it out.
            Here is a link to the Public Hunting Lands book.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...7000_0112a.pdf
            Following that link will help you find the majority of the hunting areas close to you. Other then that there is no substitute to boots on the ground scouting. Pick a spot and just go check it out. It is the only and best way to get started. Don't get down or frustrated if you don't see anything at the beginning. Just keep at it and cover a little ground at a time. When learning a new area seeing nothing is just as important as finding the perfect spot. When you finally find that spot you will be able to find others like it faster based off of the ground you have covered. Just be sure to be respectful to other hunters while learning a new area. If you walk up on a nother hunter just quietly back out while trying to disturb as little as possible. Good luck and have fun. Hunting public lands in Texas isn't easy but when it all comes together there isn't anything more satisfying in hunting.

Comment

The Sam is your best bet for open access hunting. There is a mile long thread on it every season. Also look into the state's drawn/lottery hunts. Brazons Bend State Park just had one recently, but you gotta apply early in the Spring/summer before.

Comment

Sam Houston x4

Comment

Go to the public hunting link here and go into the SHNF forum.

Comment

Working...
                  X