Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many illegal (AR) bucks get shot every year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many illegal (AR) bucks get shot every year?

I almost shot an illegal buck Friday morning. I thought it qualified as a spike, one unbranched side. I watched this deer for thirty minutes from first light on at 18 yards. His right side had an obvious 3 points, but the left was basically the same size main with just a little bump for a G2. I’m watching him through the crossbow scope (4x) and debating shooting, telling myself I need to wait for a doe, as our doe season ends next Sunday. I make the decision to shoot, and am waiting for him to offer a shot. Think to myself, one more step that direction and a little more broadside and you’re mine. Just as I get ready pull the trigger he turns his head just right and I see the little brow fine on that side, that I hadn’t seen once in the previous 30 minutes.

There is no way I would have seen that brow tine had I been rifle hunting at any range at all. And the gunshots at first light, how can they possibly see the deer well enough to determine legality at 100 yards, when I can't see it at less than 20 yards through a magnified scope? I hear these shots every morning I hunt it seems.

I bet it happens more than we would like to know.

Comment

A lot.

Comment

I don't know what an AR buck is but I bet a bunch. But can you blame people really? With all of those assault rifle bucks around I don't know how anyone in Texas is still alive. They just semi automatically run in front of vehicles I'm sure of it.

Comment

I’m sure it happens on purpose all the time. Old brute of a buck that isn’t 13” wide year after year. I’m sure many of those have fell to a arrow or bullet. I also would guess the true accidental bucks probably get left where they lay once someone realizes their mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Brows should not count for that reason

Was the brow an inch long?

Comment

It happens, but not as often as it used to, I suppose.

Comment

Would the brow tine have to be one inch or 'scorable' to count as a forked antler?

Comment

1". So he could have 10 points and as long as they are less than 1" he is legal. That is riskier than making sure he is 13", and it defeats the purpose of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                    Brows should not count for that reason

Was the brow an inch long?
                    It was about 1 1/8, maybe 1 1/4. Easily seen once the angle got right and the ear was out of the way. But even knowing it was there, I couldn't see it unless everything lined up right.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                      Would the brow tine have to be one inch or 'scorable' to count as a forked antler?
                      Yes

Comment

I passed up a 3 point that I thought a bump was too close to an inch. Thinking back I know it was less than a inch now.

Comment

I see it on this site all the time where people can't tell a deer isn't legal. On top of that, several say they would shoot one anyways.

Comment

If folks would stop wanting to shoot 1 1/2 year old bucks then it wouldn't have nearly as often.

Comment

More survive now than in the past, but some are still taken by accident.

Comment

Working...
                              X