Mix it up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post Timm!

It seems that this year I just don't have the same enthusiasm as I use to. The long distances are pretty much the reason. I am not nor ever claimed to be a great shot, but 3-D is where my friends are and I like to see them. But this year I'm fighting myself each month to decide if I'm going or not.

Comment

I would not normally post an organizational document but since this has been a topic of discussion I will do so.

Below you will find a letter that is sent to ALL Texas ASA clubs. I wrote this letter based on my experiences shooting 3D, listening to the requests of shooters, and using good old common sense.

We as Texas ASA Directors and our reps do not have the time or manpower to help club operators set up shoots. We are volunteers. We have to rely on the club operators to follow these guidelines. These guidelines are complete and concise. I put a lot of thought into them. If club operators will simply read them and follow them they will have a shoot that is challenging, fair, and enjoyable for the competitiors.

By the way...this is not new. I have been sending this letter to all clubs for the last 4 or 5 years. I have updated it yearly as rules and formats change.

We do our best to set the clubs up for success and to make the shooters happy.

Please take time to read it and pay attention to the highlighted text.

ASA Qualifier & State Championship Guidelines

Here is a list of guidelines for clubs hosting a Texas Federation ASA State Qualifier or the ASA State Championship. I will be sending this list of guidelines to all Texas ASA clubs.

1. 30 target course set up and ready for tournament competition by the Friday evening before the scheduled shoot. McKenzie targets are required for the State Championship. Some clubs may elect to set two 30 target courses which is great but not required. If two 30 target courses are used one will be for all open classes and unlimited (white & red stake) the other will be for all pins classes, youth classes, traditional and all eagles (red, blue, yellow, green and orange stake).

2. Targets should not have any brush, limbs or other obstructions blocking the 14,12,10,8 scoring areas. Check for clear shots from each stake color. Vary the distances. Make sure the shooters can see the targets in dark shadowed areas. Place light colored targets in shaded areas and dark targets in bright areas. If you set a course that discourages shooters there is a good chance that they will not come back.

3. Do not exceed maximum distances for any class. Use proper stake colors for each class/distance. This is very important because the shooter's score card matches their stake color. Note: The yellow stake is used for Sr. Eagles and Traditional. We need to vary the distances for the yellow stake so the Traditional shooters will not have every shot over 20 yards.

ASA CLASS YARDAGE & SPEED LIMITS:
      Class Stake Color Max. Yardage Speed Limit
      Pro White 45 yds 280 fps
      Men’s Open White 45 yds 280 fps
      Men’s Known White 45 yds 280 fps
      Open B White 45 yds 280fps
      Unlimited White 45 yds 280 fps
      Senior Open White 45 yds 280 fps
      Women’s Open White 45 yds 280fps *** (see note below)
      Super Senior Red 40yds 280 fps
      Master Senior Red 40 yds 280 fps
      Limited Red 40 yds 280 fps
      Hunter Red 40 yds 280 fps
      Open C Red 40 yds 280 fps
      Women’s Known 40 Red 40 yds 280 fps (new class for 2010)
      Women’s Senior Red 40 yds 280 fps
      Young Adult Red 40 yds 280 fps
      Women’s Hunter Blue 30 yds 260 fps
      Bow Novice Blue 30 yds 280 fps
      Youth Boys Blue 30 yds 240 fps
      Youth Girls Blue 30 yds 240 fps
      Youth Pins Blue 30 yds 240 fps (new class for 2010)
      Traditional Yellow 25 yds 280 fps
      Female Trad. Green 20 yds 280 fps
      Senior Eagles Yellow 25 yds 230 fps-bow control
      Eagles Green 20 yds 220 fps-bow control
      Junior Eagles Orange 15 yds 220 fps- bow control

Note: Federation rules list Women’s Open at 40 yard max red stake. Our Women’s Open shooters have chosen to shoot at 45 max, white stake. This is the distance Women’s Open will be shot at Pro/Ams.

4. Slightly quartering away shots are allowed but should be kept to a minimum number of targets. Quartering to shots are not allowed.

5. Make sure all shots are 100% safe. The ASA tournament officials have the authority and responsibility to change the layout of any shot that they deem unsafe or unfair.

6. Targets 1 thru 15 will be known distance for the classes that shoot 1/2 known and 1/2 unknown. Targets 16 thru 30 will be unknown distance. The shooters expect this layout and it keeps the format consistent from shoot to shoot. Shooters that shoot 1/2 and 1/2 or all known will use a range finder. An effort should be made at registration to group Unknown Classes, Known Classes, and 1/2 and 1/2 classes. The club should supply a printed yardage sheet for Yellow, Green, and Orange stakes on targets 1 thru 15. The Men’s Known & Known 40, Women’s Hunter and Bow Novice competitors will use their range finders on all 30 targets. Unknown Distance classes will score ALL Low 12’s. Known classes and 1/2 and 1/2 classes will score the High 12 on targets 1 thru 15 and the Low 12 on targets 16 thru 30.

7. Texas ASA will supply 1st thru 3rd place plaques for the Youth and Young Adult classes. Texas ASA will supply medallions for ALL Eagle classes.

8. Texas ASA will supply the official chronograph. All shooters will be chronographed BEFORE the shoot. They may adjust their bows if they are shooting too fast. We chrono white, red and blue scorecards ONLY.
      289 is the breakout speed for 280 speed limit
      268 is the breakout speed for 260 speed limit
      248 is the breakout speed for 240 speed limit

9. The host club must have adequate parking and rest room facilities for 100+ shooters per day.

10. The host club must have a first aid kit on site.

11. The host club must have adequate drinking water on the course and some form of concession for food or snacks. This can be as simple as ice chests with drinks and snacks to as elaborate as the club chooses.

12. There should be a designated registration area with plenty of clip boards and pencils or pens. Texas ASA will furnish the registration sheets and score cards. Tracy will run registration/target assignment (North Region shoots) with club help.

13. The host club must have a practice range with at least 20, 30, 40, and 50 yard targets. The practice range must be arranged with safety in mind.

14. The host club must have adequate change with plenty of fives, and ones for making change at the registration table.

15. Entry Fees: $30.00 for all Adult classes, $16.00 for Young Adult and Youth classes, $5.00 for all Eagle classes. The entry fees break down as follows:
      $30.00 Adult entry fee
      $13.00 goes to the host club
      $9.00 goes to shooters payback
      $5.00 goes to ASA
      $3.00 goes to Texas ASA award fund
      $16.00 Young adult and Youth entry fee
      $15.00 goes to host club
      $1.00 goes to Texas ASA award fund
      $5.00 Eagle entry fee
      $5.00 goes to host club

16. There are 3 things that will keep shooters happy and coming back.

1. A friendly, organized registration.
      2. Challenging, fair, and rewarding shots.
      3. Good hot food, clean restrooms, plenty of water on the course.

These guidelines will help to ensure a safe, consistent, fair and professionally organized shoot. We appreciate all of our Texas ASA clubs. Your hard work and enthusiasm has made the Texas ASA Federation program the number one Federation program in the nation.

Thank You,
      Mike and Tracy Smith
      Texas ASA State Directors
      Last edited by Arrowsmith; 05-23-2011, 03:13 PM.

Comment

If anyone wants to give some input into the next Qualifier that we will be hosting in Paris this coming weekend, you can go to our web page and contact the officers at http://www.archersforchristparis.com/contact_us.html or go to our facebook page Archers for Christ Paris Texas and leave feedback there. Don't forget we are giving away Buckles to the winners in each class that has I believe 3 or more shooters in it along with the normal ASA prizes. Hope to see everyone this weekend.

Comment

Sounds like many of you missed exactly what you were looking for by not shooting Brownwood's qualifier.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
            I would not normally post an organizational document but since this has been a topic of discussion I will do so.

Below you will find a letter that is sent to ALL Texas ASA clubs. I wrote this letter based on my experiences shooting 3D, listening to the requests of shooters, and using good old common sense.

We as Texas ASA Directors and our reps do not have the time or manpower to help club operators set up shoots. We are volunteers. We have to rely on the club operators to follow these guidelines. These guidlines are complete and concise. I put a lot of thought into them. If club operators will simply read them and follow them they will have a shoot that is challenging, fair, and enjoyable for the competitors.

By the way...this is not new. I have been sending this letter to all clubs for the last 4 or 5 years. I have updated it yearly as rules and formats change.
            I have a copy of this in my back pocket any and every time we set up a course. ...and have been known to wave it at Maurice more than a few occasions.

Comment

The main thing I have noticed is the targets used at longer distances. For years, some targets that were basically used for 30yds and under are now being set at 40+ for Open shooters. I don't care if the top shooters run their scores up, but us average shooters like to hit the target. Most have known me for a long time and know I am not and probably will not be a top shooter. But the FUN is starting to go away. Not everyone has the time to work hard enough to be at the top but would like to shoot decent scores.

Comment

Agreed!! In hunter class I feel like there are a ton of the 37 yd shots... and as the dad of one of the young guns..( I think Luke would be classified as one of the young guns) ... Luke loves the closer shots because he likes too shoot at the 14...so I know he would love too see closer shots mixed in..

Comment

Originally posted by CutTheLoop View Post
                  Sounds like many of you missed exactly what you were looking for by not shooting Brownwood's qualifier.
                  This is very true. You guys had a GREAT set-up. That course made you want to go out there and shoot it again.

I have a copy of this in my back pocket any and every time we set up a course. ...and have been known to wave it at Maurice more than a few occasions.
                  Thank You Jimmy.....for using the info....and keeping Mo in check.

Comment

Originally posted by murph62 View Post
                    Agreed!! In hunter class I feel like there are a ton of the 37 yd shots... and as the dad of one of the young guns..( I think Luke would be classified as one of the young guns) ... Luke loves the closer shots because he likes too shoot at the 14...so I know he would love too see closer shots mixed in..
                    This is a good point. Kids like Luke are going to shoot good regardless of how the course is setup. If they want to win they will have to eliminate the 8's and hit 12/14's all day. If the younguns are shooting 20-30 up at each event they would be wearing their parents out trying to come to the next shoot.

Comment

Looks like this was a topic that need to be brought up.

Mike,
                      Thanks for posting up the guidelines you send the clubs. It is pretty clear and to the point.
                      I expand on that by requesting the clubs open up the course to all distances. When there is only a six to seven yard difference all day it makes for a long shoot.

Comment

I won't miss another one.

Comment

Guys and Gals,
                          As part of the team that'll be sett'n up the course at Archer's For Christ this week, I'll promise you that these comments will be considered when we place targets and shooter stakes. We also have copies of the State ASA Federation Guidelines and they're always a part of our state and club shoots.
                          Glad this subject came up, I've already emailed our ASA Rep and club officers about this weekend's qualifier.
                          See y'all soon and bring some OFF!

Comment

Bringing off and a thermacell!!! ;-)

Sent from my mobile office using Tapatalk

Comment

brownwood course

Everyone in our group said after we were thru....man I wish I could shoot that course again!!

Comment

.........That's funny.......

And I was talking about thr Trad class sharing the Yellow stake with the 9-12 young guns.
                                You will never hear much complaining about a course thats too easy, but if it is too hard, get ready!!!!!!! Alot can be learned after the shoot by going around ,doing a little hand shaking and asking for input. Something we(Cowtown) try to do after every shoot, whether it is a club shoot , trad shoot or qualifier.
                                Last edited by huntinpool; 05-23-2011, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X