James Daughtrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James Daughtrey

Just got here today. In Unit 9s already seen 2 hogs within 30 minutes.

Good luck. Keep us updated. Is this the GDE hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman1998 View Post
      Just got here today. In Unit 9s already seen 2 hogs within 30 minutes.
      Hey bud, I Hunted unit 9 for deer archery this year. Killed a big boar there. I miss hunting the place. You have pictures ?

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Well not exactly the end I wanted. I did learn a life lesson I will never forget... Always shoot your buck first and your doe last. Was about 5:40 and a pack of hogs came in so I shot the biggest one. Ended up being a sow. Thought all the deer were out of the area so my dad and I got done to go track it. While we were tracking it I decided to go back to the blind to grab flashlights. There happened to be a big doe or what I thought at the time to be a doe standing in the middle I closed the distance to about 50 with 5 minutes of legal shooting time. I shot and she dropped the only problem was she was really a he ending my trophy hunt. I will say I saw some nice bucks but decided to pass in hope of the 140 class deer they have there. Even though it wasn't the outcome I wanted I still had a blast.

Comment

Congrats on the meat, was it a legal buck?

Comment

Well not exactly the end I wanted. I did learn a life lesson I will never forget... Always shoot your buck first and your doe last. Was about 5:40 and a pack of hogs came in so I shot the biggest one. Ended up being a sow. Thought all the deer were out of the area so my dad and I got done to go track it. While we were tracking it I decided to go back to the blind to grab flashlights. There happened to be a big doe or what I thought at the time to be a doe standing in the middle I closed the distance to about 50 with 5 minutes of legal shooting time. I shot and she dropped the only problem was she was really a he ending my trophy hunt. I will say I saw some nice bucks but decided to pass in hope of the 140 class deer they have there. Even though it wasn't the outcome I wanted I still had a blast.
              Draw hunts always are tough, because you never know what you'll have walk out later. I hunted chapparal and had a 130-inch 10-point walk out an hour and 15 minutes into a 5-day hunt. I debated letting him walk, but hunting east Texas i can go years without seeing a buck of that quality, so I went ahead and dropped him. Two nights later I had another 10 point, that I'd estimate at 145 inches feed in front of me for an hour that I had to let walk. That being said, one guy in our group only saw three bucks the whole hunt and never got a shot, and my dad shot a pretty nice 120-inch 8-point, which was the best buck he had a chance to shoot. If I'd let that 130-incher go, I could've just as easily ended up not shooting anything.

Comment

I got drawn for the Hog Hunt in March. I am keeping my eyes on Unit 9 but will be looking at other places any of you deer hunters have seen pigs.

Comment

I hunted unit 9.saw lots of bucks. huntsman did you use the blinds they have in place or took your own?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckTrail View Post
                    I hunted unit 9.saw lots of bucks. huntsman did you use the blinds they have in place or took your own?
                    I used the big blind that is raised. If you are going for hogs at the James daughtrey 9s is the place to be for in the blind at 2:30 and saw them all night long decided to shoot one later in the hunt.

Comment

Huntsman did you see any good mature bucks in compartment 9?

Comment

Be there in Jan!

Comment

I used the big blind that is raised. If you are going for hogs at the James daughtrey 9s is the place to be for in the blind at 2:30 and saw them all night long decided to shoot one later in the hunt.
                          Big blind that is raised ? In unit 9? You're not talking about the blind that is on the left on the other side of the fence?
                          Wait unit 9is the one with the parking lot at the end right?

Comment

I hunted the raised blind.

Comment

Cool

Comment

Working...
                              X