2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
    Those success rates are skewed. If you look at the detailed statistic spreadsheets that success rate included the hunters that shot hogs (non-targeted game) for that hunt.
    That’s correct last year at Fairfield there were only 4 does killed out of 50 hunters. That’s an 8% success rate. The book shows 18% because of all the hogs killed.

Comment

Found the spread sheet. 0 Bucks , 2 Does, 5 Boars, 4 Sows
      11 successful hunters. 29 total hunters, 38% Success rate.
      Now I know that a hog hunt was applied for, read the fine print.

Comment

On the Main Menu? I'm not seeing it anywhere..
        Last edited by Deers & Beers; 08-17-2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
          On the Main Menu? I'm not seeing it anywhere..

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
            Just curious how much $$$ do you dump on these hunt applications every year???, I bet its alot if your drawing that often...

Its not 100% luck, 100% luck is no preference points like New Mexico does. Fewer hunts + more hunters applying + unlimited applications, you can't deny the odds are worse than they used to be, that is a fact.
            I like the new system as opposed to the old. Yes, the odds are a little worse, at least in terms of being drawn for a particular hunt. But, that has been greatly offset (for me) by the ability to apply for more than 1 hunt. It's not like it was ever 'easy' to get drawn. If you measure 'success' as being drawn for something in a giver year, the new system has been way better for me.

Under the old system, I applied for 143 hunts and was drawn for 8 of them (5.6%). Under the new system, I've applied for 180 hunts and been drawn for 5 of them (2.8%). But, another way of looking at it is that I was only drawn 8 times in 20 years before the new system (40%), compared to being drawn 5 times in 4 years (125%) under the new system.

Sure, it costs a little more to apply, but it's not that bad. This year I paid $272, and that can even be spread over 3 months.

Comment

Fewer hunts + more hunters applying + unlimited applications, you can't deny the odds are worse than they used to be, that is a fact.
              Truth!!!
              I still have some of the old books around 2000-2006 maybe. Can't believe the number of hunts as well the number of permits that has been cut or in some cases, no longer exist. WTH!!!

Comment

Just curious how much $$$ do you dump on these hunt applications every year???, I bet its alot if your drawing that often...

Its not 100% luck, 100% luck is no preference points like New Mexico does. Fewer hunts + more hunters applying + unlimited applications, you can't deny the odds are worse than they used to be, that is a fact.
                I put in for 5 archery, 5 GDE, 3 mule deer and 2 exotic hunts. I apply for the same every yr. Only STX WMA's or WMA with muley and/or exotic. In the old system I put in for the same properties but only one of them in each category. I put in chap only under the old system from 2006-2011 under the old system and got drawn for chap 3 times in that time frame. I have now put in for chap 3 times under the new system and been drawn once. pretty good ration under both systems. under the old system we were drawn with 3 or less PP each time, I had 6 PP this yr when I was drawn. With that hunt being one of the lowest odd hunts I'd say that is blind luck under both systems.
                The facts are that people put in for yrs and yrs in the old system and never got drawn. The facts are that I put in for draws in both systems and have been drawn equally as often if not more often under the new system. Now for comparison purposes when we were only allowed to enter one app per category I only entered the lower odds hunts because I was only interested in hunting true trophy deer and I prefer south Texas. I have never and still don’t put in for every hunt, I only enter the low odd hunts that have always been difficult to draw, chaparral, devils river, elephant mountain, matador, etc. I have places to hunt so I’m only interested in going to wma that are in different areas than where I currently hunt or have trophies I don’t have the opp to hunt at my lease.
                If you are only putting in for the lower app higher odds hunts then I could see your point. Now that everyone can enter every hunt in every category then it may have made those hunts that weren’t necessarily “high end” properties lower odds. Those type of hunts were probably higher probability because they were less desirable to a lot of hunters. If that’s what you typically apply for because the draw success rate was higher in old system then I understand your point. But on the higher app hunts I don’t think it has changed much because those have always been higher demand hunts and have always had higher app quantities.
                Now with the new system I apply for more hunts but its still only the hunts I deem are higher trophy type hunts, exotic hunts and mule deer hunts. I’m not really worried about draw success rate I’m worried about trophy animal success rates.

I think we are talking about the same thing just from two different vantage points.

Anyway we can agree to disagree but I truly hope you get drawn soon, these hunts are great for those lucky enough to utilize them.
                Last edited by KactusKiller; 08-17-2018, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                  Truth!!!
                  I still have some of the old books around 2000-2006 maybe. Can't believe the number of hunts as well the number of permits that has been cut or in some cases, no longer exist. WTH!!!
                  Now that is true, they have trimmed back the hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                    I like the new system as opposed to the old. Yes, the odds are a little worse, at least in terms of being drawn for a particular hunt. But, that has been greatly offset (for me) by the ability to apply for more than 1 hunt. It's not like it was ever 'easy' to get drawn. If you measure 'success' as being drawn for something in a giver year, the new system has been way better for me.

Under the old system, I applied for 143 hunts and was drawn for 8 of them (5.6%). Under the new system, I've applied for 180 hunts and been drawn for 5 of them (2.8%). But, another way of looking at it is that I was only drawn 8 times in 20 years before the new system (40%), compared to being drawn 5 times in 4 years (125%) under the new system.

Sure, it costs a little more to apply, but it's not that bad. This year I paid $272, and that can even be spread over 3 months.
                    Very true, this is a good way to look at it. If a person only puts in for 3-5 hunts a yr same as they did in yrs past than the odds are def worse but if you utilize the current system and enter 10-20 hunts instead of 3-5 hunts then your odds are better than with the old system. Yes it costs you more but your not talking that much in comparison to the cost of hunting especially if you look at the potential value of the prize. It's like buying raffle tickets.

Comment

It has begun again...

No go on black gap WMA muley or caprock canyons exotic for me :-(

Comment

They're running draws right now, some javelina and exotics of mine have changed to pending 2nd draw. It's slower than normal.

Comment

Just saw "Pending Second Draw" for Javelina & Exotic

Comment

Booo... all my exotic and muley are now either pending or not selected.

I wonder why some would be pending but others went straight to not selected?

Comment

no luck yet for me

Comment

what does pending second draw mean? better odds than before? worse odds?

Comment

Working...
                                X