Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about upgrading my LEM stuffer. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got one of the horn-shaped LEM manual sausage stuffers. It works very well, but it's a work-out when you're trying to stuff several 25 lb batches in a weekend.

I've been contemplating picking up one of the manual gear driven vertical stuffers. Since I own LEM for everything else meat-processing wise, I thought I'd stick with that brand.

Any feedback - good or bad, on "upgrading" to the LEM vertical stuffers? Or should I stick with what I have (it does still work great)?

All the best,
    Glenn

I like letting my grinder stuff during the second grind, a foot pedal power switch is a great asset in this

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
      I like letting my grinder stuff during the second grind, a foot pedal power switch is a great asset in this
      Mine is a manual grinder (#32)
      All the best,
      Glenn

Comment

I think all of the piston stuffers are made by the same company. I have an 11 lb Weston. Is a great improvement over stuffing with the grinder. Look for one with metal gears.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
          I think all of the piston stuffers are made by the same company. I have an 11 lb Weston. Is a great improvement over stuffing with the grinder. Look for one with metal gears.

You have to grind twice, how is a 3rd op an improvement over letting the 2nd grind stuff the cases?

Comment

You have to grind twice, how is a 3rd op an improvement over letting the 2nd grind stuff the cases?
            Why do you have to grind twice?
            A stuffer is way faster than using a grinder.

Comment

We have a LEM vertical stuffer and love it. Also have there grinder, it's either the 3/4 or 1 hp can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post

Chunk, season, mix, course grind, mix, final grind/stuff, done.

I like the extra step to even out seasoning. If you want to save a step just chunk, season and grind/stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                  Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                  I actually grind my venison once, pork once, mix, and then grind the mix through a plate with smaller holes. So I am grinding everything twice. I’ve tried to stuff with the manual grinder using the stuffing plate. Way harder to stuff with a manual grinder than using the horn shaped stuffer I’m using now. But all of that wasn’t what I’m asking about.

To clarify my original question - Should I upgrade from the horn shaped stuffer I currently use, to a vertical stuffer?

All the best,
                  Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by flinger View Post
                    We have a LEM vertical stuffer and love it. Also have there grinder, it's either the 3/4 or 1 hp can't remember.
                    Thank you. Easy to use? Easy to clean?
                    All the best,
                    Glenn

Comment

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                        To clarify my original question - Should I upgrade from the horn shaped stuffer I currently use, to a vertical stuffer?

All the best,
                        Glenn
                        Yes!

I used to stuff with my grinder till I helped a buddy who had a stuffer.
                        I ordered one the next day.

I season all my meat before I grind and only grind once, then stuff.
                        A stuffer is well worth the investment in my opinion.

Comment

I use the 25 lbs LEM vertical stuffer and it is awesome. Had the 5lbs LEM vertical stuffer and it was a pain having to fill it up every few links. To answer your question yes upgrade. I have a 5 lbs vertical stuffer I would sell if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrodd View Post
                            I use the 25 lbs LEM vertical stuffer and it is awesome. Had the 5lbs LEM vertical stuffer and it was a pain having to fill it up every few links. To answer your question yes upgrade. I have a 5 lbs vertical stuffer I would sell if you want.
                            Agreed.
                            I can't remember what brand I bought, but it holds 21 pounds.
                            The only downfall with one this big is it takes up quite a bit of space.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrodd View Post
                              My current horn shaped one is either a 3 or a 5 lb stuffer, so a 5 would be an improvement or the same size, which I’m fine with. Not sure how much something of that size would cost to ship. But if you’re close to anyplace I go fishing, or we can do an express if the price is right, I may be interested. Thank you.
                              All the best,
                              Glenn

Comment

Working...
                              X