Advice on youth antlerless Chap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on youth antlerless Chap

Son was picked up on the secondary draw. We're both excited as it's our 1st year entering and was not really expecting getting anything. Anyways, just curious if any of ya'll have advice or pointers? Appreciate it in advance.

Congrats if it's a rifle hunt don't think the kids will have any issues getting the does. Scout your area first day with a gun. Move slow and glass open areas then set up within range where they are crossing. I sat in on of the pre done blinds a few hrs during scout and saw a few places they were crossing the folks there are good and will point you in the right direction as well

Comment

Thanks. I know he's looking forward to it.

Comment

I have been down a lot with my two. We have killed deer out of ground blinds and killed a bunch out of the youth blinds. Just make sure you bring adjustable chair so your kid has a good shooting platform. Corn and just sit. don't get discouraged and they will find the corn. Killed plenty of deer on Sunday when everyone else has gone. Sometimes it takes a day or two. Don't throw so much corn that the deer gorge all night.

Comment

My daughter and I went last year, and will be there again this year. She had opportunities on about 20 does and 6 javelinas. We saw deer every sit. We hunted from the tower blind that was already there. These are metal tower blinds with no roof, and are usually placed on a sendero. We cut a bit of brush and wired it in on the corners to break up the outline of our heads sticking above the walls of the blind and provide a bit of shade. I also scattered a lot of corn (key word scattered). Bring chairs that are nice and high if you plan to hunt from the blinds they have. The walls are a bit high for the kiddos to see over. The camping area is nice, they have plenty of places to hang and clean your harvest, and the staff is great. Y'all will a blast. We'll be there on the second weekend of November. Maybe we can meet up while we're out there.

Comment

Thanks Glen and Slow. Sounds like they really cater to the kids down there which is good to hear. We were drawn for the 3rd weekend in Nov otherwise would've been down to meet up. Do plan on tent camping and thanks for the advice on the tower blinds. My son is 14 so i dont know if a regular stool will be fine or go ahead and find a taller one? Plan on bringing a couple bags of corn and scattering lightly for sure. Thanks again!

Comment

Corn and patience.... Lots of critters in the brush down there and they will eventually find the corn. The key is how much to put out. I would recommend scattering some out as far as your kiddo can shoot (or maybe just a little farther) and then re-corn before each sit. In many places, the javelinas will suck it all up especially at night. If you put out too much the first sit, you are probably just overfeeding the javelinas and deer at night.

Youth stands are great for the kids. Conceal movement and give a good view of the senderos. What I found was sometimes the deer crossed or were out on the road a little too far for my kids to shoot especially when they were younger. Be patient and if you corned within their gun range, animals will show up there.

As stated, camping area is nice and a separate cleaning station there as well. Just an awesome place to hunt and have taken my kids multiple times and they have always taken a doe and/or javelina so success rate is pretty high.

Comment

Congrats on getting drawn it's a great place and I would recommend a pop up blind we hunted out of the youth blinds and noticed most of our deer we were watching we're crossing the sendero about 250 yds so I set up the pop up and cut that distance in half I also scattered a lot of corn in the mornings never the evenings cause the javelinas would eat it all good luck to y'all getting a doe should be easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Winslow and LVhunter. Def looking forward to it! Don't have a popup but we dont mind brushing ourselves in closer if need be. If we can get them in at 200 and closer he should be fine from the stand.

Comment

Working...
                  X